1/32 Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver

monthebiff

Not a lot to show but also had limited bench time over the last week or so unfortunately. Managed to get my head in to the build and first things first the fit of the major fuselage parts are pretty awful so far! 

Initially I decided to fit the base of the turtle deck in place but found the tailplane fillet was very undersized and poor fit.

20210605-153312.jpg

The tail fillet needs replacing with a scratched plastic card replacement so I decided to add some internal structure and check the fuselage halves go together nicely.

20210605-212316.jpg

The fit of the foward bulkhead in to the starboard fuselage half was very poor due to the fuselage being out of shape

20210605-193449.jpg

And the foward fuselage halves closed up.

20210607-135427.jpg

On to the rear fuselage and the fit of the turtledeck floor is poor on the port side when closed up.

20210605-205836.jpg

I'm pretty well sorted on these fit issues now but don't have pictures yet. All I can say is this is one difficult build needing lots of foward thinking just like an HpH resin kit funnily enough!

Regards. Andy 

that's a shame the fit is not that good but I was sort of expecting that - for me it's part of the fun of building kits from these type of manufacturers - they keep you on your toes and make you do some old fashioned modelling, much more pleasurable than a shake and bake for me.  Your build is looking really good, I'm following with interest and you will have certainly helped me when I start on mine. 

7 hours ago, npb748r said:

that's a shame the fit is not that good but I was sort of expecting that - for me it's part of the fun of building kits from these type of manufacturers - they keep you on your toes and make you do some old fashioned modelling, much more pleasurable than a shake and bake for me.  Your build is looking really good, I'm following with interest and you will have certainly helped me when I start on mine. 

+1

That poor fit is because you have detail parts that are a hold over from the resin kit not designed specifically  for this new injection kit which obviously varies a little 

Hence my earlier comment, what people have bought is a resin kit with injection moulded fuselage and wing halves, the irony is the resin halves fit better and are better detailed but people wont buy them because they are resin.....

Edited by Markjames1968

• 2 weeks later...

Once again modelling time has been very scarce but managed a good few hours today, finally! 

I started by adding all of the internal detail parts to each fuselage half and then worked on getting the replacement plastic card internal tail fillet in place.

20210622-212147.jpg

20210622-212236.jpg

I replaced the awfully moulded plastic rods on the rack with Albion Alloy tube of a suitable diameter. Far quicker, easier better looking than trying to clean the plastic up! 

I have some decent reference pictures now so will start to try and improve a few areas on the fuselage internals.

Regards. Andy 

9 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Great work on this so far Andy! If anyone can make this kit shine it's you.

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom and very kind words! Its a tester for sure and every single part requires plenty of clean up. I'm finding a bit of an interesting kit to put together but I think I have the fuselage fit issues under control now and so enjoy some detailing. 

Regards. Andy 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress with the tail fillet now detailed and  completed

20210703-212859.jpg

I've found that with this all now now in place the fuselage halves align quite nicely now. 

Turning my attention to the cockpit I started with the pilots seat which is much like most of this kit having very soft detail. After studying pictures I decided a much better alternative would be to modify a Barracudacast P-51 seat whichooks a whole lot better.

20210703-212659.jpg

I added some piping detail to the headrest and oxygen hose which appears to go through the canvas covering behind the pilot. So a picture with the kit seat installed 

20210703-210540.jpg

And with the modified resin seat in place

20210703-212450.jpg

So far so good and next up is the instrument panel.

Regards. Andy 

On 7/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, dennismcc said:

That seat is a vast improvement, I'm keeping notes for when I get round to mine.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, your current PCM builds will definitely leave you in good shape to tackle this one!

Regards. Andy