1/32 Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver

monthebiff

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

So the resin kit is €214 excluding import duties/ postage in to the UK.

The plastic kit cost me £87.00 GBP including postage and I spent £77.00 GBP on extras including postage so was £164.00 GBP so definitely a cheaper prospect here in the UK.

Regards. Andy 

List price in the UK is 209 sheets from a UK distributor.  There is no import duty being applied from the EU is you ship in from Europe.  If you bring it in from Europe, its 184 sheets plus postage.  If I was a betting man, I'd guess postage will come in at........ 25 sheets, making a 209 total for an import, which is what you can get it from a UK distributor for.....  I'm guessing someone at HPH has a nice spreadsheet detailing distributor margins and postage so they can workout direct sale price, distributor price and margins through both direct and indirect sales channels.

Like you I bought the kit with a discount but having looked at the pre-release castings, I thought it looked good to go with minimal 'extras'.  I've just totted up the full shopping list and with no discount, the 'extras' are 123 sheets, which makes a 210 sheets total - its a quid more expense than the resin kit.  I've just ordered all the 'extras'.

I'd say the decision anyone else is facing that wants to build a Helldiver in 1/32nd is plastic or resin.  There is no real difference in price between the two.

just saying

Anyway.  Enjoy the build.  I'll follow it avidly as this is right up there in my top ten planes list.

23 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Interesting they both come out the same with your comparison and having built a few HpH resin kits its definitely plastic all the way for but each to their own really isn't 8t!

Regards. Andy

Deffo.  Resin isnt the easiest of materials to work with as we all know.  It would be interesting to compare a resin build to a plastic build.

Really looking forward to yours fella - crack on!

Funny things is, all these detail sets in resin mean you have actually been ‘tricked’ into building a resin kit with an aftermarket injected fuselage....... the eas bit of resin kits is the large components, the tricky bit is cleaning up HPH pool molded components, which on the injected Helldiver kit, are the same as the resin heldiver kit.........

if you are someone who doesnt do resin kits...... stear clear of the hph on with detail sets...

34 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Are the control surfaces all neutral in the plastic kit?  Figure that's the one detail set that I might skip on the kit.  Look forward to following your progress on it.

Matt 

All of the control surfaces are molded in the neutral position as part of the wing, horizontal stabilizer, and fuselage.  They are not separate parts in the kit.

19 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Aside from the Whale and the Savage, no carrier aircraft is really that large.  There's only so much room available and they have to fit on the elevators.

It's not like I'm going to argue with you about the size of carrier aircraft, but there are and were several which are significantly bigger than a Viking, not only the Skywarrior and the Savage. That was not my point anyway - carrier aircraft or not, the Helldiver is not *that* big and I for one find the price tag to be quite hefty for a kit of this size. That's all. 

Now - back to the WIP as I am really looking forward to seeing more progress. :) 

Edited by Starfighter

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Are the control surfaces all neutral in the plastic kit?  Figure that's the one detail set that I might skip on the kit.  Look forward to following your progress on it.

Matt 

All moulded in the neutral position, the resinn control surfaces are supplied with resin inserts to replace the missing detail removed from the remaining kit parts.

20210528-082324.jpg

20210528-082339.jpg

20210528-082403.jpg

I like the way they have tackled this and the new control surfaces will definitely be an improvement. Hope the pictures help.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...