1/32 Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver

monthebiff

I wanted this kit when HpH originally released it but after having already built a few of ther kits decided against it. Fast foward and now under the Infinity Models banner we have an injection moulding of the Helldiver. After having a good look at the plastic it definitely shouts out short run but I'm looking forward to seeing how it builds up.

Personally for me, one issue with this release is the large number of resin/ etched updates released alongside the kit to give you an open bomb bay etc, etc which are all superb but maybe some of these should have been included in the base kit. Things start getting quite expensive after buying the base kit and you then want an open bomb Bay and folded wings........

So on with the build and this is what  I'm planning on using on it.

20210522-172449.jpg

20210522-172228.jpg

20210522-172247.jpg

20210522-172325.jpg

20210522-172310.jpg

20210522-172151.jpg

20210522-172212.jpg

20210522-172024.jpg

20210522-172054.jpg

20210522-172128.jpg

Very much looking forward to this build and making the most of the superb extras even though I feel pretty strongly that some of this etch at least should have been included in the base kit.

Regards. Andy 

Following with great interest! Although this kit is one I'd not personally get, it is still a fantastic aircraft, and it'll be great to see someone like yourself do justice to it! I think an IM kit in 32nd has been on the wishlist of many a modeller for ages, good to see one finally get produced.
I'm with you on the financial aspect of wishing more kits had options coming with the kit/s, but I suppose Infinity gets to recoup some of their financial outlay for the kit itself via the detail sets - and being detail sets from the manufacturer itself, the fit should be way better than many of the AM stuff out there, as they don't really have to reverse-engineer the parts.

Hideyuki Shigeta from ZM has an interesting blog post about development and kit production, worth a glance..
https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_112.html

Looking forward to seeing this progress!!!

20 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Go Andy go! I recall seeing this aircraft up close at Oshkosh several years ago and it was a beast.  

The Curtiss aircraft tails really sell the manufacturer.  

I've been looking forward to this one for a while now Troy and hope I can do it justice!

The etched dive brake set are a must but I'm surprised they didn't do a wheel well set for this one.

Regards. Andy 

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Awesome!  I'll be following this one before adding the Helldiver to my cart.

Matt 

Such a cool subject Matt, I've just started cutting up the fuselage today for the update parts. I'm interested to see how the whole lot come together down the line.

Regards. Andy 

18 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Totally following. The beast is my all time fav (I’m weird like that)! Haven’t pulled the trigger on one, mostly because I have too many projects going at once. Can’t wait to see more!

-Peter

A beast indeed Peter and with the extra sets added in the build definitely lives up to the name!

Regards. Andy 

15 hours ago, IainM said:

Following with great interest! Although this kit is one I'd not personally get, it is still a fantastic aircraft, and it'll be great to see someone like yourself do justice to it! I think an IM kit in 32nd has been on the wishlist of many a modeller for ages, good to see one finally get produced.
I'm with you on the financial aspect of wishing more kits had options coming with the kit/s, but I suppose Infinity gets to recoup some of their financial outlay for the kit itself via the detail sets - and being detail sets from the manufacturer itself, the fit should be way better than many of the AM stuff out there, as they don't really have to reverse-engineer the parts.

Hideyuki Shigeta from ZM has an interesting blog post about development and kit production, worth a glance..
https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_112.html

Looking forward to seeing this progress!!!

Thanks for looking in Iain, some very good points you make and I can definitely see Infinity going down the same route with future releases with update sets for key areas of interest on each airframe.

Regards.Andy 

13 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This is great, I have one of these kits in the stash ready for a USN build trio sometime later this year so I will follow with great interest.

In real life it is a most impressive looking aircraft, I came across this one at the Thai Air Force Museum.

sClT7z.jpg

gdPvvp.jpg

jXq9Hn.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Superb pics Dennis and thank you for sharing, I'm still trying to decide upon my colour scheme for this one at the moment. 

Regards. Andy

Hopefully some pictures tomorrow but I've been busy cutting and chopping away all of the unwanted plastic to make way for the resin updates on the fuselage halves.

One important point on this build if you have some of the upgrade sets particularly the bomb bay and turtle deck is to really study the instruction sheets that come with the update sets before doing anything else and planning everything well in advance otherwise it will all go badly wrong!

Regards. Andy 

1 hour ago, Starfighter said:

Very cool, looking forward to this! Just being curious - with all the separate update sets added, it probably isn't (much) cheaper than the initial HPH Helldiver, is it? 

214 Euros  (£184 GBP) for the resin kit.  This one comes in at about £208 GBP fully loaded so its about 20 sheets more expensive than the resin plane.  Its more expensive.

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Very cool, looking forward to this! Just being curious - with all the separate update sets added, it probably isn't (much) cheaper than the initial HPH Helldiver, is it? 

2 hours ago, simmerit said:

214 Euros  (£184 GBP) for the resin kit.  This one comes in at about £208 GBP fully loaded so its about 20 sheets more expensive than the resin plane.  Its more expensive.

So the resin kit is €214 excluding import duties/ postage in to the UK.

The plastic kit cost me £87.00 GBP including postage and I spent £77.00 GBP on extras including postage so was £164.00 GBP so definitely a cheaper prospect here in the UK.

Regards. Andy