F-4 resin nose by Flightpath

Anders_Isaksson

The Flightpath radome represents the early version w/o the "donkey dork" on the underside, not supplied by Tamiya. This radome applicable to some of the Bolo Phantoms. IIRC, GT Resins was also considering a resin radome.

Mark Proulx

4 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

I have built a couple of the big 1/32 Tamiya Phantoms over the years (D and J) and whilst it now shows its age overall, what is wrong with the kit nose?

Gary

Hi Gary

I'm no Phantom expert, although I am on a steep learning curve with my British conversion.  I wondered as well why a new nose??  When you look into it the Tamiya radome is way too flat and the lower profile is all wrong leading up the the NLG door.

See how deep it is here...

RrlsOR.jpg

Here is a comparison of the 2

PnBeqP.jpg

Now, from what I understand so far, this only goes part the way to fixing the issue (please those that know better, correct me).

Tamiya Fuse is slightly short from the first station frame on the airframe front (and slight too vertical?) and the radome is too long, hence the overall length is pretty close.  However if you just fit the shorter resin nose you are only making the front even shorter.  My plan is to cut a couple of mm (I'll be more accurate at the time) off the kit nose as this will help sort the slight shortage in the front, which also makes the leading edge of the air conditioning ducts end up in the right place, rather than cut them back.

Then the resin nose can be fitted or you can choose to modify the Tamiya part which I might do as I will be deepening the radome anyway.

There is a lot of discussion on my build thread here, hopefully this link is to the right page

The discussion starts on Page 24, HTH

Cheers Anthony

On 5/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Tamiya Fuse is slightly short from the first station frame on the airframe front (and slight too vertical?) and the radome is too long, hence the overall length is pretty close.  However if you just fit the shorter resin nose you are only making the front even shorter.  My plan is to cut a couple of mm (I'll be more accurate at the time) off the kit nose as this will help sort the slight shortage in the front, which also makes the leading edge of the air conditioning ducts end up in the right place, rather than cut them back.

Then the resin nose can be fitted or you can choose to modify the Tamiya part which I might do as I will be deepening the radome anyway.

Just a few more questions:

1. What do you mean by "deepening the radome", do you plan to add material to the underside of the radome and area down to the nose gear bay?

2. Would a good way be to keep part of the base of Tamiya's radome to sandwhich in between the resin nose and kit forward fuselage in order to keep the correct overall fuselage length?
That is how I understand your description above but I wanted to double check.

I read your WIP from page 24 and forward but I am still a bit confused about which route to take. :)

6 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Just a few more questions:

1. What do you mean by "deepening the radome", do you plan to add material to the underside of the radome and area down to the nose gear bay?

2. Would a good way be to keep part of the base of Tamiya's radome to sandwhich in between the resin nose and kit forward fuselage in order to keep the correct overall fuselage length?
That is how I understand your description above but I wanted to double check.

I read your WIP from page 24 and forward but I am still a bit confused about which route to take. :)

No problem

I am not sure yet myself.  Possibly I will modify the Tamiya kit radome to make deeper and make some cuts to the lower fuselage and bend the nose down in front of the nose gear bay

But I havent studied this as much at the moment on the best way to go sorry

Cheers Anthony

On 5/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

No problem

I am not sure yet myself.  Possibly I will modify the Tamiya kit radome to make deeper and make some cuts to the lower fuselage and bend the nose down in front of the nose gear bay

But I havent studied this as much at the moment on the best way to go sorry

Cheers Anthony

No worries! :)

Thanks for the info so far. I will look into getting the Flightpath nose and go from there.

5 hours ago, jenshb said:

Are the radomes of the FG.1+FGR.2 the same as the US shortnose Phantoms?  Seeing all the differences in Anthony's thread, it wouldn't surprise me that these would be different too...

There is a small antenna fairing on the underside of F-4J radomes, that I think is part of the DECM system.  That wasn’t present on the FG.1/FGR.2, so the radome was smooth all of the way around.  Other than having anything attached underneath, the radome was the same.

Edited by Dave Williams