Zoukei-mura Bf-109 & Fw-190 updates - New The Old Man blog n.113

Jan_G

The hobby is not dying, it is evolving and taking different shapes. Technologies and techniques have been improving since the birth of this hobby. Compare a Frog model from the fifties to the latest model from Japan. All technologies and techniques that made that Frog model possible are indeed “dead”, but the hobby of making models is still here. 
Home 3D printing is not going to replace injection-moulded models just like home paper printing did not replace newspapers or bookshelves. 3D models are expensive, fragile and prone to unpredictable shrinkage. You will never be able to make a 1/32 3D-printed FW 190 cheaper than a ZM FW 190. The machine is expensive, the resin is expensive and the artwork is expensive whether you buy it or you invest the man-hours in designing it. The failure rate is high. For every beautiful 3D-printed model you see on social media there are trash cans of misshapen and twisted bodged half-prints.
I would not look at the young people to gauge the “future” of anything. Saying that they have a short attention span and that computer games or electronic devices are too distracting means nothing. When they are so absorbed by doing what young people do, they also do not care about architecture, rocket science or intracranial surgery. Yet I am sure that we will still have architects, engineers and surgeons in the future. They may also build models too. :)
Radu

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

From my perspective, you're the only one with his nose out of joint.... An opinion is an opinion....  Here's mine:  New 109, 190...Meh, zzzzzzzzzzz.... How you choose to interpret that and whether to take offense to it is solely your reaction, nobody else. You'll note that there's no implication of ANYTHING other than it's a subject I'd be bored to tears with.  There's NO inference to anything other than that.  If it's your choice to take a different meaning to it, again, that's your reaction.  You're guilty of what you attribute to others by assigning intent to their posts.

Well said. I am very disappointed that as soon as someone has something different to say that this person has turned it into something completely different and chosen to be offended by it. 

It’s why people move away from forums like this if they can’t have their say.

5 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Please don't tell me how to react to something on-line. I would say your ego is WAY too big to admit when you've made a mistake - a very narrow view of the world, but not unique to you, I'm sure.

I don't want to endlessly repeat myself on this site, so we really should "call it a day" on this one. I will not be reacting to you from here on.   

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Get over yourself. It’s not all about you. You are the only one who’s ‘feelings’ have been hurt. 

Edited by ericg

Come on kids, let's keep it civil. I think there are more posts about each others opinion than there is about the topic!

I am not entirely happy about the subject (would have preferred a P38H), but if ZM makes a bunch of money than hopefully we get some more new kits later, like a P51B/C.

The FW190 early is a good idea, only PCM has those right now.

Honestly I've not been in this thread before and was about to go back and prune some of the personal comments and there are so many of them it doesn't seem fair to just cut out some.

Let's just keep the personal jabs back and forth out shall we?

We also need to accept the fact that others are not always going to agree with our point of view AND accept that fact: period. 

Let's just agree to disagree, as we all are going to have different views on it.

1 hour ago, Radub said:

The hobby is not dying,

I beg to differ. Too many kit makers and after-market producers are producing WAY too many items for the market to actually bear. Many will fall by the wayside, sooner or later. I have considerable sympathy for the ones that do, considering all the effort they've put into producing their items.  

The hobby APPEARS to be really thriving at the moment, but all the manufacturers are relying on more model-makers joining the throng. My argument is that this just not going to happen. A process of natural selection and the attitude of young people to this business will simply snuff it out, unfortunately. The ever-increasing cost of many new kits will also be a factor in its demise.

The avid model-making community will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs (myself included). It will be replaced with nothing.

I hate to say it but injection-moulded kits will go the same way as newspapers, land-line phones, terrestrial TV, decent Hollywood movies and a number of other things that we all used to take for granted.  

Chris.   

I’ll probably get em both when they become available and build them and put them on the display/dust collection shelf with the 8 other 109’s 4 190’s, 4 other Spitfires (still 4 Spitfires in boxes) and if Tamiya ever releases one I’ll buy that one too! A visitor looking at my display case asked me if I was a Nazi fan....(I never thought of it that way, I hate Nazi’s) I said no, I just liked to paint them.

36 minutes ago, chrish said:

I’ll probably get em both when they become available and build them and put them on the display/dust collection shelf with the 8 other 109’s 4 190’s, 4 other Spitfires (still 4 Spitfires in boxes) and if Tamiya ever releases one I’ll buy that one too! A visitor looking at my display case asked me if I was a Nazi fan....(I never thought of it that way, I hate Nazi’s) I said no, I just liked to paint them.

I'm able to complete my Bf 109 line up without having to display a single swastika.

I wish the same was possible for the three Fw 190s I'd like to add.

3 hours ago, Chek said:

I'm able to complete my Bf 109 line up without having to display a single swastika.

I wish the same was possible for the three Fw 190s I'd like to add.

Hi Chek,

Take a look at this page if you haven’t seen it. It shows Fw-190s (throughout their development) as they were captured, repainted and flown by their new, non-Luftwaffe owners. 

http://silverhawkauthor.com/axis-warplane-survivors-german-aircraft-fockewulf-fw-190-fw-190d-ta-152_1093.html

I’m sure others will come through with examples to look at.

Cheers,

Adam

On 5/22/2021 at 2:42 AM, Archimedes said:

I fully concur on that. I appreciate that many will yawn with 'another Fw190' but they are are made by manufacturers because they sell and provide the cash cows for more obscure subjects which sell slower. Am I delighted that Z-M are doing the Bf-109 and Fw190? Yes. Will I be equally delighted if they produce something more obscure because their Bf-109 and Fw190 sales paid for the development of it? Absolutely. They have trod that line well I feel.  Because they have been willing to produce 'cash cows'  we got to see a beautifully tooled kit of the Ho229 (something I never thought I would see in my lifetime). 

Best regards,

Paul

Have to completely agree. Mr ZM wants it, others want it. Good luck to him hope he makes a mint for other subjects popular and obscure. Put me down for an  f8, D9 and p40 basic ed. 109? Maybe. Basic version of previous kits or a ki 100, or ki whatever yes please. Boomerang? Pete? Lysander?

Edited by Pup7309

On 5/23/2021 at 12:02 AM, John1 said:

Good, insightful comment!  Thanks Eric! 

While I could list a few dozen pet subjects of mine that I'd have rather ZM focus on (F-86 series, UH-1H, FM-2, etc), the bottom line is that with Tamiya apparently throwing in the towel on 32nd aircraft, I'm just happy that ZM is still staying in the LSP market and continuing to put out high quality models.   Given that the options for both 109 and 190 involve either older kits or flawed ones, I'll probably end up springing for both of these if the reviews come in favorably.  

Yes methinks the days of 2 1/32 p51s coming out from both Tamiya and ZM gone? 

Edited by Pup7309