Land Cruisers! (And a Hilux)

Love this thread. My daily driver is a 2018 SR5 Taco and I absolutely love it. Thought about a TRD 4 wheel drive, but have no real need for those capabilities where I live. I have a list a mile long of parts I want to add, but my job, as well as attending university at night/weekends does not put it high on my to-do list. Would love a vintage FJ project, have seen a few for sale round here through the years, but most of them have been beach runners and are rotted out well beyond what I have time to fix. One can dream, though!

THOR   :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Lil toy trucks :coolio:

What you want is a good old Flathead V8 Simca Marmon Sumb with portal axels and a proper airbrake system ....AKA a UniFrog .

2011-10-29-16-21-28.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

Entirely tongue in cheek post no offence intended .

Nice little buggy.

I got my first company car at the tender age of 17, it was a Mercedes turbo 4wd, with sunroof, 8 speed gearbox (forward and reverse) and it looked a bit like this 

My first company car

9 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Lil toy trucks :coolio:

What you want is a good old Flathead V8 Simca Marmon Sumb with portal axels and a proper airbrake system ....AKA a UniFrog .

2011-10-29-16-21-28.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

Entirely tongue in cheek post no offence intended .

Oh my, that sure looks like an old "east german (DDR)" volks/army/GP contraption, are you sure it isn't a Jeremy Clarkson way of looking at a multi purpose vehicle???

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Oh my, that sure looks like an old "east german (DDR)" volks/army/GP contraption, are you sure it isn't a Jeremy Clarkson way of looking at a multi purpose vehicle???

And the Dutch adopted the DAF318/328 & "friends" ......talking of very odd looking vehicles....:hmmm: although I must say I quite like the smaller YA126 

SUMB is French with a Ford engine:yahoo: . Similar design as a Unimog in function ....weirdly it  has a long toolbox in the cab for the carriage of baguettes.

2 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Nice little buggy.

I got my first company car at the tender age of 17, it was a Mercedes turbo 4wd, with sunroof, 8 speed gearbox (forward and reverse) and it looked a bit like this 

My first company car

I've driven the older 1960's Mogs .....formidable off road , if a bit boneshakey !

Nice to get paid to drive one instead of having to restore your own ! 

4 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

And the Dutch adopted the DAF318/328 & "friends" ......talking of very odd looking vehicles....:hmmm: although I must say I quite like the smaller YA126 

SUMB is French with a Ford engine:yahoo: . Similar design as a Unimog in function ....weirdly it  has a long toolbox in the cab for the carriage of baguettes.

I've driven the older 1960's Mogs .....formidable off road , if a bit boneshakey !

Nice to get paid to drive one instead of having to restore your own ! 

Unfortunately I was rather rapidly promoted to a position where I was in command of a section of 5 Mogs, but had to ride a little Suzuki DR 250 (aka, the hemorrhoid machine) for some crazy reason (I think traffic control was the historical excuse) . The only redeeming aspect of riding that little, thing, was that I no longer had to carry a long arm, it was an SMG on my back and a Browning high power chaffing my arm pit from there on in. Unfortunately we had a lack of 9mm blank in those days, so Imissed out on the joy of scrubbing carbon out of my shooters.

On topic, for a short time we did have lwb soft top troopies, they where great (better than our old series 2and 3 rovers) but if you let them sit for a few weeks the fuel system (diesel) grew algae in the lines and blocked pumps and filters.

If you need some panels for your early Cruiser, this place The Fibreglass Factory has been doing quality work for a decade or so.

Edited by Smokeyforgothispassword

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got some time at the museum while in my local. A good 20 year friend helps run that place and gets to travel all over the planet for fun on expeditions as well as providing aftermarket parts for Toyota’s.

It’s also good to see such a clean FJ as well. My first rig was a ‘74!

On 6/10/2021 at 12:18 AM, Brett M said:

Glad you got some time at the museum while in my local. A good 20 year friend helps run that place and gets to travel all over the planet for fun on expeditions as well as providing aftermarket parts for Toyota’s.

It’s also good to see such a clean FJ as well. My first rig was a ‘74!

hey Brett!

been meaning to get there for a long time! It was definitely worth the trip-

Thanks! love my FJ…and every other FJ!

cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 10:57 PM, easixpedro said:

Gotta see if I can find my pics.  In Afghanistan our squadron was given a Hilux that became “my” vehicle. It was captured during a mission we’d supported and it was gifted to us, replete with bullet holes. It was a tank. I wanted nothing more than to go off-roading with it. Not dumb enough to do it over there. 

Fast forward a 5 years and my buddy was there with a Growler squadron. They got one under similar circumstances. Upon inspection, it had all sorts of medical stuff in the back of the crew cab. They couldn’t figure out if it had been a mobile dental facility, traveling Doc, or plain ol’ torture device! They figured a way to bring it home and actually got it past the state vehicle inspection/registration and it’s now the squadron car. If you’re ever on KNUW, it’s supposedly still there.

Hey Booger-

I almost bought this one sight unseen from a Japanese auto auction, but decided I could do better- but Ive zeroed it down to an 89 SSR Hilux, diesel, standard transmission and right hand drive. With the safari bed and JDM badging to boot, its the coolest Hilux in my opinion-

I have a guy on the west coast tracking the auctions in Japan, who can also handle all of the import issues 

ZgALgmm.jpg

HVtas2G.jpg

cheers

Pigfighter

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

45 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey Booger-

I almost bought this one sight unseen from a Japanese auto auction, but decided I could do better- but Ive zeroed it down to an 89 SSR Hilux, diesel, standard transmission and right hand drive. With the JDM badging to boot, its the coolest Hilux in my opinion-

I have a guy on the west coast tracking the auctions in Japan, who can also handle all of the import issues 

ZgALgmm.jpg

HVtas2G.jpg

cheers

Pigfighter

That's amazeballs!  Bizarre factoid of the day--older cars are taxed at a higher rate in Japan (guess it gets rid of the junk and helps w/ emissions). End result is you see very few older cars--unless you're on a US base and then we scoop everything up, cause a) those taxes didn't apply to us. b) cheaper to sell to dumb Americans than to pay insane prices to junk it.

Circa 2003, my first car over there was a Toyota Corolla. I don't think the oil had ever been changed and the tires were completely bald. I walked into VF-154's ready room the day they were leaving to return to the states for their Rhino transition and asked who wanted to sell a car, (remember it costs a lot to junk a car, so easier to just pass them on amongst the group). I bought it for $1. And there was about $80 worth of Yen in the center console...  I put cheap tires on it (so it passed the inspections) and sold it for $400 when I PCS'd a few years later. Probably the only time I've made money on an old car!