Land Cruisers! (And a Hilux)

9 hours ago, Jack said:

Well, on the subject of a Landrover, i have to say i more or less disagree, with all respect: i've been driving around for over 40 years, had several different types of cars, mostly japanese, but being a 4WD affectionado i eventually (some 9 years ago) switched to this Landrover and i must say of all the cars i owned, this landrover was the worst:

From day one a follow up of breakdowns, like front axle problems, lots and lots of software hickups (and that is an understatement), complete failure of the car's electronic system and always my garage ofcourse told me, after repair activities, that this and that was something they had never seen before..........

Ok, i know this might have been just a coincidence, just this particular car, but after having checked some info on the internet, i even found a story which ended up in court over disputes with the land rover company, but...........strangly enough i kept it for almost 9 years, agains better knowledge and advise but got rid of it a year and a half ago, and now i'm very happy with my Jeep Grand cherokee.

OH well, whats in a name/type/make  right?

BTW, i've heard a certain nickname for the toyota landcruiser:  a BLRV........Best landrover Recovery Vehicle.......

Really sorry for that. I had and still have ZERO problem with mine. The car only saw a garage once in the two first years. And this was for a major maintenance.

22 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey all,

Had a layover in Salt Lake with enough time to check out the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. If you are a Land Cruiser geek like me, this place is nirvana.

Here’s a look at my 79 FJ40. It is a driver..and a constant work in progress-

9crJdlL.jpg

ocwwI5u.jpg

RIS3xCK.jpg

qX3mkgr.png
lX59Kzz.jpg

The museum has so many cool Land Cruisers, it’s impossible to pick a favorite- here’s a few views

The 1983 FJ45 Troopy! Below..My next acquisition (some  day)

60 series. Seriously cool

and this ridiculous Hilux! Greenland 4WD expedition 

and out in the parking lot, the absolutely bulletproof stock Hilux. Really want one of these too..virtually impossible to import into the US, register it for the road, and keep it from being crushed by the feds...The turbo-diesel is not US compliant, but I’m always sniffing around. Guess my Taco will have to do for now all in all a good day!

cheers

Pete

Crazy nice collection!

would be great to spend a day in there!

on a side note, you’re shifter ball would get you a fairly big fine and a insurance safety inspection here if the police saw it. By our law the shifter has to have an indicator of where the gears are in the “H” pattern! but you don’t have to have doors or a roof top...!

20 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Thanks! Love my FJ40-

stock 2F engine in mine-

ok now that Hilux is crazy!

cheers

Pete

Awesome.

Spent heaps of time in them. FJ40 and then a FJ55...what a pig. No power steering. You either developed Gorilla arms or gave up. It was a massive rust bucket as well but the engine was awesome.

I have a FJZ75 Troop Carrier with the 3F engine...man that thing weighs 20x what it should. Based on 1930's Chev truck engine. It's done over a million km/s and the last compression test I ran showed all the cylinders well within spec. Super smooth engine but body needs rust repair again. It has a nice roof rack and when LSP Mike visited many years ago he climbed on top for the Panzer Commander view as we drove along some bush tracks.

Lots of those FJ40's have small block Chev V8's...327/350's. They're a real weapon in the bush. Without the V8 getting up some hills and over sand dunes requires max rpm and momentum.

A very popular model here is the LandCruiser 80 series with a LS motor swapped into it.

Nice rig

Cheers Matty

On 5/21/2021 at 1:49 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey all,

Had a layover in Salt Lake with enough time to check out the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. If you are a Land Cruiser geek like me, this place is nirvana.

Here’s a look at my 79 FJ40. It is a driver..and a constant work in progress-

9crJdlL.jpg

ocwwI5u.jpg

RIS3xCK.jpg

qX3mkgr.png
lX59Kzz.jpg

The museum has so many cool Land Cruisers, it’s impossible to pick a favorite- here’s a few views

riidzSB.jpg

1p3kLMv.jpg
aToDi5O.jpg

m7aCsBn.jpg

4hzfjHl.jpg
LFzHG6h.jpg

The 1983 FJ45 Troopy! Below..My next acquisition (some  day)

yVipCbR.jpg

l7gptu8.jpg

07ScuQF.jpg

60 series. Seriously cool

o6CrJvk.jpg

and this ridiculous Hilux! Greenland 4WD expedition 

Smqensn.jpg

ApRmeyb.jpg

17CEXy5.jpg
LrHR2JN.jpg

XjoVp0K.jpg
lDBCzQE.jpg

and out in the parking lot, the absolutely bulletproof stock Hilux. Really want one of these too..virtually impossible to import into the US, register it for the road, and keep it from being crushed by the feds...The turbo-diesel is not US compliant, but I’m always sniffing around. Guess my Taco will have to do for now-

3FJTsVf.jpg

12tePEQ.jpg

all in all a good day!

cheers

Pete

I like your FJ, it’s amazing how well they age aesthetically, but I’m even more in love with your Berner, they’re beautiful pups!

5 minutes ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I like your FJ, it’s amazing how well they age aesthetically, but I’m even more in love with your Berner, they’re beautiful pups!

Thanks!

I have three Berners, actually!

that one in the pic is Cosmo

here’s all three

hj6ZzZj.jpg

Cosmo, Wendy, and Finn.

all related, but different litters-

cheers

Pete

1 minute ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Pete, I’m now even more jealous! They’re beautiful, and I bet they make great hot water bottles on a cold winters night:D

They are the best! My wife put her foot down after the third one..otherwise I’d have more than three Berners- I simply love them! All Dogs are too good for this world, and they the best people I know! Everyone has their favorite breed, and Berners are mine, hands down.

cheers

Pete

I’ve been a Lab and GSD guy all my life, I love them but my fantasy dog's would be a Great Dane, a Newfie and a Berner, and I’d have to throw a kitten into the mix just for the comedic effect.

To bring this back on topic(ish) I’ve been researching how I’ll spent my cash when I become el supreme Dictator of Australia, and this is what I’d love to build

6x6 79 Series Dual Cab Ute

Edited by Smokeyforgothispassword
Just checking out Pete’s dogs again

1 hour ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

To bring this back on topic(ish) I’ve been researching how I’ll spent my cash when I become el supreme Dictator of Australia, and this is what I’d love to build

6x6 79 Series Dual Cab Ute

Oohh that thing is cool! Love it!

Im thinking ‘89 Hilux quad cab is in my future!

cheers

P

Gotta see if I can find my pics.  In Afghanistan our squadron was given a Hilux that became “my” vehicle. It was captured during a mission we’d supported and it was gifted to us, replete with bullet holes. It was a tank. I wanted nothing more than to go off-roading with it. Not dumb enough to do it over there. 

Fast forward a 5 years and my buddy was there with a Growler squadron. They got one under similar circumstances. Upon inspection, it had all sorts of medical stuff in the back of the crew cab. They couldn’t figure out if it had been a mobile dental facility, traveling Doc, or plain ol’ torture device! They figured a way to bring it home and actually got it past the state vehicle inspection/registration and it’s now the squadron car. If you’re ever on KNUW, it’s supposedly still there.

29 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Gotta see if I can find my pics.  In Afghanistan our squadron was given a Hilux that became “my” vehicle. It was captured during a mission we’d supported and it was gifted to us, replete with bullet holes. It was a tank. I wanted nothing more than to go off-roading with it. Not dumb enough to do it over there. 

Fast forward a 5 years and my buddy was there with a Growler squadron. They got one under similar circumstances. Upon inspection, it had all sorts of medical stuff in the back of the crew cab. They couldn’t figure out if it had been a mobile dental facility, traveling Doc, or plain ol’ torture device! They figured a way to bring it home and actually got it past the state vehicle inspection/registration and it’s now the squadron car. If you’re ever on KNUW, it’s supposedly still there.

dude that is awesome- would love to see it!