Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

I’ve really developed a taste for these Kagero Units books here of late. Here are my first three, with more to certainly be ordered in the near future. As far as I can make out, they only ever did 7 volumes though, a real shame, as they’re really quite cool, and the included Cartograf decals are a real sweet bonus.

ppDWeH.jpg

On 1/23/2023 at 10:14 PM, dutik said:

We are lacking sprue M in the late kit. This holds another version of the cockpit floor, a wide strut or pipe and some small parts. The floor layout should be easy to adapt and this wide strut or pipe is twice in the late kit, so one spare if you slip while cutting some extra details of the late version off. All in all only a very minor conversion.

Aren't those small parts the ear type radiators for the earlier versions?

BTW, the DFW is one of my favourite WWI aircraft, together with the Rumpler C.IV and SPAD's :)

5 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Aren't those small parts the ear type radiators for the earlier versions?

BTW, the DFW is one of my favourite WWI aircraft, together with the Rumpler C.IV and SPAD's :)

Nope. I've checked this. Both types of radiators are on sprue D, one radiator per sprue (and one wheel). That's why we get two D sprues: two wheels (good idea :D ) and two full side radiators.

BTW, I am thinking about a small dio with the unlucky one from the instructions image gallery that got partially submerged in the ditch... :piliot:

While talking about the DFW: Did you use some/or buy AM parts? F. e. HGWs seatbelts and the cockpit interior with the wooden parts?

I've at hand a 08/15 MG and a anemometer from Gaspatch (not to mention different rigging buckles) and a PE cooling jacket (slim) for the 14/17 Parabellum but no idea about the need for (better?) seatbelts and interior parts. I think I'll not order the HGW MG, engine and exterior parts. Adding some wires to the engine by youself is not complicted and Gaspatchs MGs are much better than HGWs. Not to mention that the cooling jackets from Gaspatch are ready to use without any rolling/bending.

Regards

- dutik

Not been buying anything plastic related of late, although did renew my Airfix Club membership last week, and the new club package arrive last Friday. And the FR.9 Meteor that's a part of it, is a beautiful little kit that will come straight to the top of the build pile (when I get some modelling mojo back.....but that's another story!)

Anyway, the other major time eating hobby I have is PC Gaming! And for that back in Jan 2020 I built a reasonably decent, well appointed, gaming rig.  16gb of memory, dedicated sound card, plenty of storage, fairly ok CPU, an ok GPU and plenty of headroom for expansion down the road if needed. I was finally looking at the end of 2022 and during this year to upgrading a few components. Already done the storage - 2 x NVME SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x1TB SSD, and the original 240GB SSD along with 2 x optical drives (1xBD-RW, and 1 x DVD-RW). Picked up a new Graphics card, RTX 3070, and a new CPU cooler, on the basis of needing something a bit beefier to handle a newer CPU, which would have been saved up for along with some extra RAM. All ok so far.

However... New CPU cooler went faulty within a month and had to go back to the supplier. No longer stocked and has reached EOL (End Of Life) ... Therefore, cannot be replaced like for like. Replacement they suggested - full of lights and RGB which I'm not a great fan of (!), original was called a stealth cooler for the simple reason it had none of those stupid lighting effects. It seems that these days, as soon as anything is noted as "gaming" or "High End" for PC's it automatically has to RGB lighting and LED, and all sorts of 'cool' lighting effects built in. Anyway, as I said, not a fan, so the replacement was not suitable, asked for a refund, and purchased a different one. All they had without lighting, was one almost twice the price of what I originally paid!

My graphics card had to be replaced a couple of weeks ago, as the one I had was overheating:( Hence the RTX 3070. Paid way more than I wanted to do so, but thankfully not as much as I would have done last year, this is one area where prices have come down at least (sort of!) No way getting the current crop of cards (RTX 4000 series) way overpriced and uses way too much energy - I would have to get a power supply that uses 1KW, which is just crazy.

Fast forward to today, and over the last week or so, my PC has developed a rather annoying 'ticking' or 'clacking' noise. I've tracked it down to a little 40mm sized fan on the motherboard. Super annoyingly, its described as being a "non-user replaceable item (!!!!)" Which really means, we don't to replace it - we would rather you just buy a new board if it goes. Sadly, it's failed, and even after a complete system strip down, and clean of the fan, and greasing of the fan shaft, it's not remedied the problem.

I have done a lot of research, and it seems motherboard makers know about the problem, it's widely known about with my particular type of board, and no-one has been able to get a replacement fan. Well, except that is one You-Tube tech channel, but that's more about that particular manufacturer not wanting any adverse publicity... My only solution - to send a few hundred quid and get new components - thankfully only new Motherboard, CPU, Memory. The rest can still be used.

So what have i bought:

• AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Processor
  • ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi Motherboard
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 Memory

Here's hoping that this lot will last a bit longer than the 3 yeas that the stuff above lasted! The system that my Jan 2020 rebuild replaced, lasted for 9 years! With only the replacement of a few bits, GPU, extra memory, sound card, extra storage. 

(Apologies for long post, lots of info to get down!)

Well, the younger generation really likes the flashing lights. Some buy cases with clear sides, etc. I'm also aware that some of the light setups can be set up to use colors to indicate temperatures too. So, if you set the computer on the desktop instead of underneath, and you notice that the lights are red while gaming, you know the computer temps are up. :o:blowup:

51 minutes ago, denders said:

I'm also aware that some of the light setups can be set up to use colors to indicate temperatures too. So, if you set the computer on the desktop instead of underneath, and you notice that the lights are red while gaming, you know the computer temps are up. :o:blowup:

That's taking a bit more money to set up than I'm prepared to spend at the moment. Especially when I don't work and have to scrounge up the money to get this sorted out. 

Thankfully, my repairs / upgrades have worked, no more annoying noises coming from the PC, just the fact that my 480GB M2 SSD no longer works in the new motherboard. Only bought a month or so ago!!! Silver lining, will put in the wife's laptop to update that. 

38 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

That's taking a bit more money to set up than I'm prepared to spend at the moment. Especially when I don't work and have to scrounge up the money to get this sorted out. 

Thankfully, my repairs / upgrades have worked, no more annoying noises coming from the PC, just the fact that my 480GB M2 SSD no longer works in the new motherboard. Only bought a month or so ago!!! Silver lining, will put in the wife's laptop to update that. 

I understand that. I've yet to install an M2 in mine, as I have several more 2.5" slots available, should they ever be needed. As to the RGB, especially as it applies to RAM cards, I wasn't looking for that feature, specifically, but the best deal I could find (Newegg) for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4 3200 cards, just happened to be illuminated via RGB. I currently have mine set to a nice constant blue, along with my AIO liquid pump and all intake/exhaust fans. I think this particular setup looks great.

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I understand that. I've yet to install an M2 in mine, as I have several more 2.5" slots available, should they ever be needed. As to the RGB, especially as it applies to RAM cards, I wasn't looking for that feature, specifically, but the best deal I could find (Newegg) for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4 3200 cards, just happened to be illuminated via RGB. I currently have mine set to a nice constant blue, along with my AIO liquid pump and all intake/exhaust fans. I think this particular setup looks great.

Just make sure it's an M2 PCIe/NVME and not M2 SATA which is what my mistake was! In my rig, I have my windows install on a 500gb NVME SSD, and all other games data on 2.5 inch SSD. I also have a 256 GB SSD off which I have a Linux install. So I'm dual booting win 11 and kubuntu LTS.

I may or may not have mentioned that I am a volunteer at an aircraft collection not far from me.  https://www.shuttleworth.org/explore/the-collection/

That may have made some jealous already, but there's more.  As his book The Flight of the Mew Gull relates, in February 1939 Alex Henshaw flew his Percival Mew Gull racer G-AEXF from Britain to Cape Town and back, setting a record time which stood for many years.  Now the Shuttleworth collection is unique in being the only place in the world where you can buy the book in the gift shop, then walk through the hangars and look at the real aircraft, which is preserved there, and still flies.

20230129-133221.jpg

Having walked past this beautiful-looking aeroplane a few times, I just couldn't resist the modeller's instinct.  I know I have said in the past "I don't do resin"; that is about to change, as the postman just delivered this.

20230203-124412.jpg

Perhaps I could even be persuaded to do a WIP, but  no promises.

Edited by MikeC