Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

On 11/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, Jim Barry said:

1976. I love it! I bought a "kit" from ~ 1945-46 of the V-1 Buzz Bomb. I was wondering why they did not put "V-1" and instead called it the Robot Bomb. It would appear we did not know the name publicly until sometime later.  It's something you carve out of wood, but the directions are sweet! 

DoSGwk.jpg

What is the kit made of?  

This came to the door this morning. Maybe the rarest of the 1/24 injection kits you can get? It is in the LSP database. It was not cheap, though I finally wore the seller down with my low offer. I'm not much a civilian guy, so I'll make a version that the US Navy used for their Test Pilot School. That's a little dear to my heart as a good friend was an instructor there in the 80's. Snap Together! I'm on my own for the cockpit. The kit has no windows, just black decals. It was some kind of promo thing for Pacific Airways. 

This is a great plane and it's Canadian (did not want to miss that fact here).  

5sygTf.jpg

VxlEYs.jpg

WvCT5F.jpg

2CIrqD.jpg

WIXOwS.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

This came to the door this morning. Maybe the rarest of the 1/24 injection kits you can get? It is in the LSP database. It was not cheap, though I finally wore the seller down with my low offer. I'm not much a civilian guy, so I'll make a version that the US Navy used for their Test Pilot School. That's a little dear to my heart as a good friend was an instructor there in the 80's. Snap Together! I'm on my own for the cockpit. The kit has no windows, just black decals. It was some kind of promo thing for Pacific Airways. 

This is a great plane and it's Canadian (did not want to miss that fact here).  

5sygTf.jpg

VxlEYs.jpg

WvCT5F.jpg

2CIrqD.jpg

WIXOwS.jpg

Dodnt @Out2gtcha build one of these in yellow a long time avo here 

11 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

And yes, Brian did do this in 2012. (and it is the same kit and it's not resin. It's just yellow). Perhaps not that rare? 

Yup thats the one, great reference wip

Im not sure, maybe it has become MORE rare in the last 10 years?  Looking things over, it used to be available as a Canadian Whiskey promotional "sign" you could buy from the Cedar Creek trading post (in WI IIRC) for fairly cheap, but they have long since closed their doors.   

The only thing really tough with the kit is dealing with the lack of windows and interior. Since it would be SO visible, adding a full interior  doubles or triples the amount of work needed to bring it round to a decent kit, so I went with some stickers printed up by a nice fellow LSPer. 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

As requested, here is a small set of pictures of that vintage Preiser kit of the Alphajet. Many years ago, I nearly purchased one on ebay but finally another LSP guy (Iain!) got it. Finally, I succeeded in finding one. Only one white metal tank winglet was missing. Not a big deal. :D

The box is immediately showing this is a very old kit.

NmuPJ1a.jpg

Now that *is* a rare find Thierry!

I was going to take a plaster cast as a female mould for vacuum formimg a new canopy - but have never got around to it.

I think the shapes look pretty good?

Might be tempted to sell mine actually...

Iain

Nice find, Thierry!

Copper State do some fantastic 3D printed spoke wheels I ordered and received last week -they were the missing link in doing my DFW C.V as on of those interned (and later purchased, as interned aircraft in neutral countries are only supposed to be stored until hostilities are over, and not taken over/used by the neutral country) in The Netherlands. :) They are absolutely stunning, the spokes are really, really thin!

https://www.copperstatemodels.com/page/store/WzIsIlszXSJd

Could not take a better picture myself, so borrowed one from the Copper State site. The spokes look thicker than they are on this photo!

csm_361534.jpg

Not sure if it'll make anyone jealous, but since last week I'm the proud owner of a Tamiya Spitfire XVIe :)

As I could not find them on EuroscaleModelling, I ordered some RESKIT MERs, TERs and Phantom wheels (and a support patch) directly with Reskit taking advantage of their 20% off black friday sale too, to offset VAT/Import stuff.

Hopefully they are OK, and I expect with all that's going on my order could take a while to get here. I'll accept that, though.

Modelling budget for this and half next year blown -but got some extra due to sale of some rare-ish items in 1/72 :)

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

20 hours ago, Iain said:

Now that *is* a rare find Thierry!

I was going to take a plaster cast as a female mould for vacuum formimg a new canopy - but have never got around to it.

I think the shapes look pretty good?

Might be tempted to sell mine actually...

Iain

Indeed! With regard to the shapes, I did not study them very closely but pictures of different assembled kits capture the shapes and sit of the full-scale plane. The challenge here will be the strategies intended to improve the model as the very basic kit design does not really help. This will not be impossible but clearly time-consuming. You're considering selling yours? Why not make a Qinetiq one with Brit markings? None was ever made in large scale. Personally I was tempted by a Top Aces one but removing the gun will be a long job and ... I recently found pictures of Belgian ones with the SEA&type camo, a Defa gun and a training bomb launcher! There are differences between the Mauser and Defa gun pods but modifying the former will still be easier than removing it. So, a Belgian one is another option as they also used the Mk.10 seats. 

Part of my reasoning Thierry was that I was nervous/felt bad cutting up a very rare model... :hmmm:

One thought I had was to make moulds off the parts and cast resin copies - purely for my own use, obviously - and keep the kit original, unbuilt, in the box.

But it's been a looooong time since I last looked at it.

If my memory is correct, I think the kits were originally commissioned/done for members of the Alpha Jet programme back in the '70s?

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Part of my reasoning Thierry was that I was nervous/felt bad cutting up a very rare model... :hmmm:

One thought I had was to make moulds off the parts and cast resin copies - purely for my own use, obviously - and keep the kit original, unbuilt, in the box.

But it's been a looooong time since I last looked at it.

If my memory is correct, I think the kits were originally commissioned/done for members of the Alpha Jet programme back in the '70s?

Iain

This makes sense. However, the molds would need to be quite large! To me the time consuming issue will be the canopy. For the rest, you cannot really assemble it without cutting/grinding/drilling. The exhausts are a good example of that. So, improving the kit will just mean going a little bit further.

Your remark about the original recipients is interesting. This would at the same time explain why the kit somewhat looks like a desk model but with a landing gear and why it was a one-off from Preiser. By the way, I've never seen anywhere the additional sets, nor seen anyone mentioning having seen them.

In any case, even if the kit is basic, I'm quite happy I finally found one as, to me, the Alphajet has exquisite lines.

Thierry

This is not at all modeling related, save that being here in Toronto means I'm away from the bench and not working on any models.  But for a very good cause, and IMO very worthy of some jealousy!

Here's my stepdaughter with her brand-new (as of 11/24) baby girl

pmwMNiquj

Grandma and I are appropriately elated to welcome grandkid #1 to the family...

pn97uTeuj

While I'm not building anything right now while staying at their place, I did discover that there's a great LHS (Wings and Wheels) literally walking distance away in the new neighborhood that daughter and son-in-law moved to here in Toronto (near Danforth and Coxwell, for any locals reading).  Could not help myself and bought a 1/32 Special Hobby kit there yesterday...;-)

2 hours ago, Alex said:

This is not at all modeling related, save that being here in Toronto means I'm away from the bench and not working on any models.  But for a very good cause, and IMO very worthy of some jealousy!

Here's my stepdaughter with her brand-new (as of 11/24) baby girl

pmwMNiquj

Grandma and I are appropriately elated to welcome grandkid #1 to the family...

pn97uTeuj

While I'm not building anything right now while staying at their place, I did discover that there's a great LHS (Wings and Wheels) literally walking distance away in the new neighborhood that daughter and son-in-law moved to here in Toronto (near Danforth and Coxwell, for any locals reading).  Could not help myself and bought a 1/32 Special Hobby kit there yesterday...;-)

Congratulations on being a grandfather! And welcome to my hometown. 

Wheels and Wings is my LHS so I'm glad you discovered it. They're a fantastic hobby shop with some great stuff.  I live in the west end but do a lot of work in the east end so am out there regularly. I'll probably be by the store Saturday picking up an order. 

BTW, if you order online this week, it's 10% off and you can select store pickup. 

Carl