Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

As indicated previously, I intended to add the other two Yorktown class books to my stash, and I have now done so.

efIV6L.jpg

2vYxeg.jpg

These references (along with several others I've acquired over the years) inspired this purchase. This thing is an absolute monster! The hull tapes out at just a hair over 48", but with the deck overhang at the rear, I expect it to be 49" overall, bow to stern, once finished. I really had to save my pennies for this baby, but I'm thrilled to finally have it.

kHQLh0.jpg

18 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Yorktown.

From what I've seen so far, it's a wonderfully detailed representation, and fit of major components seems excellent. I actually had to stand on a ladder to get most of the box in the camera frame. I've already bought some additional P.E. for her, though the kit itself comes with no less than nine P.E. sets.

53 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

Any differences in the kits?

One big difference, is the overhanging windows (port side) on the enterprise island. As far as I know, the hulls are identical. As Maxim said, no elevator wells on the hangar deck of the Hornet. I'd imagine there are radar and gun differences as well. Not that I'll buy one, but Model Monkey makes all three islands in 1:200 printed resin.

For whatever it's worth, Trumpeter, Merit International, and I Love Kit, are all the same models, ship for ship. I bought the ILK version of the Hornet for two reasons, I prefer the paint scheme of the Hornet, and it was more than $50 cheaper than the other two.

31 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

Thanks Kev. I need to dig up a good ref. for Yorktown.

Suggestions?

A couple; the Schiffer book I posted above, and Classic Warships does a couple of cool books on the Yorktown and Yorktown class. Squadron/Signal also did a nice book on the Yorktown class.