Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

Probably not exciting for most but something getting rare now in my part of the world. A fellow modeller sold it to me for the vast sum of 7$.    Some of the kit off the spruce but complete. If I can get enough references a OA-4M build in the future.  

73307165-EBE0-4640-B142-4165408-FAD47.jp 

Nick

I rarely post in this section simply because I hate the title of the long-running thread!  "Make the others jealous" smacks to me of boasting, not a trait I admire so I usually refrain from the section.  

However, in the spirit of sharing a recent purchase that might be of interest to others (or not) I received this book this morning, published by the excellent "Wingleader" company.  

The Battle of France fought in the early months of 1940 fascinates me more than the Battle of Britain, it was a time of learning tactics, almost a continuation of WW1 aerial chivalry on occasions, of harsh conditions and temporary airfields and of heroes.  Eddie "Cobber" Kain was one such, blessed with extraordinary flying skills and a relentless daring to confront the enemy, he was tragically killed just before going on leave doing a final "beat up" of the airfield.  His operational wartime exploits were in Mk 1 Hurricanes, themselves intriguing aeroplanes, but his earlier career in the RAF involved Harts, Gauntlets and Gladiators.  Excellent well researched text and wonderful photographs, many of which are new to me.

2oW7Ap.jpg

by1b83.jpg

ACoiGB.jpg

bDs1g2.jpg

13 hours ago, mozart said:

The Battle of France fought in the early months of 1940 fascinates me more than the Battle of Britain, it was a time of learning tactics, almost a continuation of WW1 aerial chivalry on occasions, of harsh conditions and temporary airfields and of heroes.

Max, have you read Greg Baughen?  Particularly these two?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Fall-French-Air-Force/dp/178155644X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EZP6OUQPJE5D&dchild=1&keywords=greg+baughen&qid=1616657462&sprefix=greg+baughen%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-3  and   https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAF-Battle-France-Britain-Reappraisal/dp/1781555257/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2EZP6OUQPJE5D&dchild=1&keywords=greg+baughen&qid=1616657559&sprefix=greg+baughen%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-4

They essentially argue that had the RAF and the French Air Force not been so focussed on strategic bombing as the sole main purpose of an air force, and not forgotten many lessons from 1914-18, the outcome may have been different.  An interesting analysis that made me think.

I'm also interested to see the book about Kain, and may well indulge.  As you know, he flew with 73 Sqn, which to me is a bit like 56 is to you.  I'm working my way though what aircraft I can in 1/32, I've done a Spitfire IX and a Battle of France Hurricane (Tamiya and Fly respectively), I have a kit (ICM) and a set of Montex masks for Kain's pre-war Gladiator, but I'll have to wait for a Vampire, Venom or Canberra kit.  I'll do a Camel when I can confirm for sure what engines they had.  They were also the only regular RAF unit to fly the Spitfire Mk 22. 

I guess what I'm trying to say in a rather long-winded way is thanks for the heads-up.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Mike, no I haven’t read those, I’ll investigate straight away. Paul Richey and Billy Drake’s autobiographies both give good accounts of the BoF though I haven’t yet had the time to delve properly into the Kain book, just on his early life so far. It is though an absolute delight, thoroughly recommended. I was going to do one of my PCM Hurricanes as Billy Drake’s but may now do it as L1826 “B” in which he flew his final fatal flight. Such a needless death. 

I've been trying to curb my purchases lately but I had to have Claes Sundin's latest Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft profile book #10.  Hot off the press.  I love his work.

The second item I had to get the Blue snake for the Taifun Bf 108 I'm currently working on.  Happy days!LilFizQ.jpg?1UtZ8EUM.jpg

4 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

They've been reprinting a few in hardcover, but most were still paperback.  Don't know what happens now that Squadron is gone.

Matt 

I assume the prices will eventually rise, but really haven't seen that much yet. In the meanwhile, I'm loading up on the hardbound versions, whenever I find them at an acceptable price, then selling off my paperback copies.

(Insert Grace Randolph meme here) Soooooo ... Package number 4 arrived today - Yeppers that's Sunday here in WA ... BNA Modelworld have this weird obsession with using couriers for interstate shipping. I have no idea why since on their e-Bay web page they advertised Australia Post ... Consequently, instead of arriving inside the usual week and a half this package took 3 weeks. Note to fellow Aussies ... avoid using Aramex/Fastway (or Sloway as I prefer to refer to them).

euKklw5.jpg

Ok ... I'm impressed with Border Model ... I like their style ... Some may not and that's ok ... but I decided I'd like to get into their kits of the back of a really good look at their in box reviews ... (Insert G.R. "Soooooo") I grabbed these 5 ...

Out of all 5 ... This is the likely first build ... as it would be for the Kursk setup I'm looking at. Ironically it's also kit number 1 in their lineup.

btl7hTX.jpg

For some odd reason they skipped a Pz.IV release for kit number 2 and went for a modern Leopard ... I skipped that one and went for kit number 3 ... and earlier model short barrelled F.1 ...

ZxCfJUJ.jpg

I don't know whether the idea for the Leopard was a pre production aberration or theirs ... but pretty much everything since that kit (including their up coming 1/35 aircraft) has followed the WWII line ... and kit number 4 follows a more logical sequence - An F.2 / (early) G ...

Z3034e3.jpg

The next of Border's kit releases (number 5) looks at the peak of up gunning / up armouring / up spec-ing of the Pz.IV - the Ausf.H ... with 4 bonus "chaps" included in this kit ...

nKG8KRX.jpg

And the final version of the Pz.IV which was partly an attempt at lightening the vehicle to give it more speed and agility - the Ausf.J ...

amI4cpG.jpg

Once the Border Tiger.I kit hits the shelves here along with the Mk.III Crusader ... I'll snaffle another purchase ... meanwhile I'll halt here and start working out a dio template ...

Rog :)

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Border, Rog. Same with the RFM stuff as well, though I don't have any of the kits,... yet.

Me too on those reports, Kev ...

Got to flicking through the kits late yesterday ... Good news is the parts count is WAY down on the Dragon kits, instructions are very clear and everything looks super detailed and crisply moulded ...

Bad news is the Ausf.G (Kit BT-001 - so the first kit produced) is missing the metal barrel mentioned on the instructions. Thankfully each of the other kits has it in there. Fortunately the kits - other than the short barrelled (L/24) F-1 (BT-003) - have both L/43 and L/48 barrels as a single piece injection mould on the sprues, while the metal barrel supplied in the kits is only the more common L/48. Since I planned on using the shorter L/43 in the Ausf.F-2/G Kit (BT-004) anyway ... I'll just pinch the L/48 barrel from this kit for the Ausf.G. If that's the only hiccup I'm very impressed so far.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69