Hasegawa 1/32 109 G-14 - First time blackbasing

Hi Everyone, here is the last of the three models I've been working on recently. Another hasegawa, the 109 G-14. As always lovely kit (although the decals / instructions could be better). I am trying to try a new technique every build - this time it was black basing. I was really happy with how it turned out on the bottom. I'll definitely be using this method again - I don't have faith in my ability to preshade, but this method does seem to add some depth. I tried to really keep the chipping to a minimum this time, as I tend to overdo this. Thanks for looking in!

url%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickr

Again, some nice work, the black basing does look pretty nice on the bottom.   Looks like you were fighting with what is known as "orange peel" on the upper surfaces.  That is generally caused by the paint drying in the air before it hits the surface.  Two common reasons for that is either spraying too far away from the surface - try to spray about 4-6 inches away, or insufficiently thinned paint.  Depending on the paint type/brand it can be thinned quite a bit; a general rule of the thumb to start is 50/50 which will work with a lot of different paints.  Gloss and flat coats can be thinned even more if one wants, but again 50/50 is a good starting point.  

Ernest 

Edited by Greif8

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the tips. I definitely was fighting this , and I'm sure you're right , my paint wasn't thin enough. I was painting pretty close, but not with a 50/50 mixture. When using gloss, if I think too much will the gloss still offer protection? I've been using gloss coats with very little thinning - is this being over cautious?

Cheers

23 hours ago, Feed me Jack said:

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the tips. I definitely was fighting this , and I'm sure you're right , my paint wasn't thin enough. I was painting pretty close, but not with a 50/50 mixture. When using gloss, if I think too much will the gloss still offer protection? I've been using gloss coats with very little thinning - is this being over cautious?

Cheers

Hi, I thin both my gloss and matt coats 50/50 without any issues.  Generally when airbrushing spraying several well thinned light wet coats is a good technique as it lets you control the build up of the paint or get the gloss/matt look you want.

Ernest

• 3 months later...

Yea, black basing does take some getting used to. I learned the hard way that when you get to the point where you think - "well, just one more pass" that's the time to stop. 

What kind of paint are you using?

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers