Hasegawa 1/32 - P -47 - first time chalk wash!

Me again! This is my third kit with an airbrush, another great Hasegawa kit. Kit is brilliant. Decals aren't the best - was a struggle to get them down at times. I'm trying to use a new technique every kit, and this was my first kit using chalk washes. Still learning I certainly found it useful for the interior - less sure about how much at added to the body overall.

Tried to be too clever and paint the area underneath the stars on the invasion stripes before adding the decals - but managed to get my measurements wrong, meaning the painted areas in black didn't match up with the decals! A lesson learnt for sure. The green is too bright, but I'd finished my olive drab and was determined to finish this kit with what I had. Overdid the paint chipping again - too easy to go overboard with the sponge method - I'm going to look for alternatives!

Thanks for looking in!

url%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickrurl%5D,%20on%20Flickr

Thanks Ernest. On the prop, the decals silvered horribly. I used Tamiya black from a rattle can, before using acrylic gloss. Decals used mr. Strong decal fix solutionWould this be the reason why these decals seemed to silver far more than the rest of the plane which was acrylic gloss over acrylic paint? 

One thing about using an airbrush I've realised is the different combinations and issues than come with so many different layers!

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Turned out to be a pretty darned decent build.  I’m just now (after all these years) trying to figure out the sponge chipping business and often end up with big silver blobs instead of chips so you are way ahead of me in that regard.  Next time you attempt to show wear on a prop, remember that the blades rarely show discernible wear on the trailing edges and that the wear on a blade will start at the tip and gradually taper to almost nothing along the leading edge for about the first third of the blade.  There usually is little to no wear up around the hub.  Props on airplanes operating from dirt or grass fields will show more wear on their leading edges than those using paved runways because they pick up more abrasive material during run-ups, taxi and takeoff.  Same goes for the leading edge of the wings:  you are more likely to have chipping and wear from the edge of the prop arc inward to the wing root than all the way to the tip unless there is some sort of maintenance access on the leading edge or the airplane flies in heavy rain or sandy conditions a lot.  Same goes for the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer to some extent.  You often will see significant chipping and wear around the edges of the removable cowling and other sheet metal panels as well because that’s where they are handled (wear) and the paint seems to just pop off the edges as soon as you set them on the ground or pavement (chipping).  And there are always scrapes and gouges in the paint around fasteners no matter how careful you are.