1/32 UH-1D Huey in-flight scene (20 May: Seats)

easixpedro

Right then lads,

Allow me to introduce my third concurrent WIP. Sometimes I get a scene/idea in my head and then all reasoning is out the window...  Prowler's on pause because I'm waiting for some figures to arrive, and the mojo for this overtook the Phantom.  Frankly I blame Pig. Watching him do that Pavehawk and now the MH-6 got the ideas churning.

Bit of background though.  Have had these ideas for awhile and managed a few in 1/48th scale.  Did a HC-7 Seasprite rescue scene that took the better part of a year to backdate the Kittyhawk kit to an A variant.  Fortunately the early Covid shutdowns allowed me plenty of time to finish it off...

20200409_143300

Then there's this one. This took almost 2 years (while building the above scene). It's 1/48th as well. Watched "Scramble the Seawolves" on PBS, and read a few books and was hooked. Read a bit about HAL-3 in Vietnam--fascinating story!  Anyway, I decided to make a scene, but thought that 1/35th would be too big, but that meant using the archaic Monogram Huey Hog (and all it's issues) and scratchbuilding my own PBR.  Managed to do it all, and keep my sanity. Again Covid shutdowns to the rescue as it allowed me unlimited time at the bench to kitbash the Kittyhawk UH-1D to the Monogram Huey Hog.

20200626_084240 20200626_084439 20200626_084517

I'd gone back to thinking about LSPs and getting after other ideas in my head...then enter Pig and his helo builds. I got to thinking about recreating any of these iconic Huey pics. Specifically, I'm going to model something from November 1967 during the Battle of Dak To. My father was there with the 4thID, and lets just say I've been fascinated by it for awhile.

51072543687_c578a128b6_b.jpg 51072542507_64f45c68b5_b.jpg

Down side is you can try and build the archaic 1/32 Revell Huey that was first issued in 1967, or try and find a 1/35 Panda/Dragon Huey that was at least issued this century.  The Revell kit is readily available, but the Dragon kit on the other hand is rarer than hens teeth and expensive.  They regularly go for $100 plus on Ebay.  I've been watching for awhile, but haven't been able to score anything. They go instantly.

So I grabbed the Revell kit from Sprue Brothers for a mere $15 and a couple of MasterBox figure sets, and we're off to the races. 

20210515_162036

Upon opening the box it was a trip down memory lane. Must've built this kit 5 times in my youth. Even used one to win the 6th grade science fair, (circa 1984) for a project on how helicopters fly (magic). Vivid memories of sitting down with one of the judges who was an airline pilot and former helo pilot in Vietnam. He was as fascinated with my project as I was with him! Anyway, the kit is actually quite good, especially considering it's age. Sure there's flash and some cleanup required, but overall, a nice canvas.  Scratchbuilding, here we come!

20210516_092723

Pretty sweet details considering this was first issued in 1967!  Check out the dials and knobs on the overhead console!

20210516_092438

Love this floor. I'll scribe between the panels, but that etching is perfect to replicate the real deal--and if I can pull off the weathering like Pig has taught us, it'll be a wonderful canvas!

20210516_092429

The detail on the outside is actually pretty good. A mix of raised and recessed details.  I'd rather try and preserve the raised rivets than try and replicate them.

20210516_092553 20210516_092615

Biggest issue with the Revell kit is the nose is all sorts of wonky. I think it can easily be fixed.  There's a nice write up on ARC here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/290663-what-exactly-is-wrong-with-the-revell-132-uh-1h-kit/&do=findComment&comment=2778562

Here's my own way of showing the exact same (yes it's a UH-1B, but the nose profile is the same). What you can't see clearly cause I just laid the model on my Ipad, is that the windscreen is too small, as is the nose.

20210516_092229

So I started off by cutting off the offending nose. Here's the first cuts--took me longer to write all this than it did to cut everything!  

20210516_093728

Anyway, we're off to the races now!  I obviously need some help, because who in their right mind has three WIPS going at once. And all crazy complicated scenes to boot...  Will plug along on this till I get the required stuff for my Prowler and see if I pick that up again or continue down this path.

More to follow,

-Peter

19 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oooh Peter, this one is on my 'to-do' list as well!  Cant wait to see what you come up with here!

I've spent about an hour thus far today--been a blast.  I have a soft spot for the older Revell or Monogram offerings, and am apparently a glutton for punishment. It's bringing about fond memories of flying around the room and opening the doors in my youth--definitely hooked me on aviation!

I'm digging the detail on the quilting. The amount of detail is pretty cool considering there was no CAD back then and it was all old-school pattern making.  This offering doesn't have the canvas seats--not that I would have used them, but all the holes are there on the floor to make it easier when I make everything out of tubing.  Trying not to rush through things, but having just used the Kitty Hawk D to upgrade my Monogram B, I've been down this path before. On the plus side, this plastic is much stouter than some other recent Revell offerings and doesn't flex etc.  Going to be a fun build me thinks!

-Peter

Edited by easixpedro

Booger!!

oh helz yeah bubba! I love this plan!

I built this kit as a kid too- popping that box open would bring back a ton of memories-

The black and white photo you posted is so cool- If you patiently look for jumping figures, even if they need to be modified, you could sooo re-create that scene. 

cheers

Pigfighter

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

I've seen on the net somewhere that someone (don't remember who) sold the jumping figures.

Sorry the response was so vague!

I'll keep looking. 

EDIT: CMK makes the airborne figures labeled UH-60, but I'm sure you could swap their heads for the good ole vietnam steel pot helmet.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

10 hours ago, Radders said:

Interested to see what you do for the main cockpit clear parts. Recently picked up the Huey UH-1H kit.. 

The hardest part will be the chin bubbles. The overhead windows and the windscreen should be fairly straightforward...I think/hope!

10 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Booger!!

oh helz yeah bubba! I love this plan!

I built this kit as a kid too- popping that box open would bring back a ton of memories-

The black and white photo you posted is so cool- If you patiently look for jumping figures, even if they need to be modified, you could sooo re-create that scene. 

cheers

Pigfighter

Yeah buddy, lots of thoughts in my head on this one. Will get the helo sorted enough to then start messing with the figure layout. Figure if I do it on a hill, I can have one side exiting directly on the ground and run a wire through them to the skid or fuselage similar to the other builds above. Then the other side can be leaping into the air from a different height.

10 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

I've seen on the net somewhere that someone (don't remember who) sold the jumping figures.

Sorry the response was so vague!

I'll keep looking. 

EDIT: CMK makes the airborne figures labeled UH-60, but I'm sure you could swap their heads for the good ole vietnam steel pot helmet.

Tim

Yeah, I’ve been looking. Will see, actually have some in a spares box too. Also includes some Jack-booted Nazis in dramatic poses. Have been hauling those forever, but their poses are so dynamic that I might use ‘em (with modifications of course).

Yesterday was just plain fun. Managed to get one armored seat built. Oddly enough the Revell seats are a good representation of the mesh seating inside the armor—found a good pic of that.

20210516_210638

20210516_210620

I used some of the Revell seats just for grins. Would probably look neater being completely scratch built...I’ll call it a nod to the designers of the kit. 

And just sitting there

20210516_205050

Here’s a good view of the armor seat, sans the webbing for the actual seat, (used for illustrative purposes only). Found it here in this link: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/16/t/143140.aspx?sortorder=desc

If you look, you can see how I just built the armor around the seat cushion and added the legs-worked like a charm!

51184715786_407ff28272_c.jpg

Thanks for following along and the comments! I think everyone loves the Huey...

-Peter

great work Peter; I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to tackle the nose issue? (I have two of the these kits, one of which end as one of these:

ab_205_02.jpg

The other one will be one of these (whether I'm brave enough to make it into a Gnome engined version remains to be seen?):

UH1-269h.jpg

Derek

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

great work Peter; I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to tackle the nose issue? (I have two of the these kits, one of which end as one of these:

The other one will be one of these (whether I'm brave enough to make it into a Gnome engined version remains to be seen?):

Derek

Oh my!  I have never seen the Gnome engine one--you might be as crazy as me!

For the nose, obviously more to follow when I get there, but here's my take:

-Overhead windows are the wrong shape and the way Revell made the cavity for them creates further issues. I plan on cleaning them up and just dropping some clear sheet in it. For the rounded section near the edge, I plan on either just gently sanding, or some heat and sanding.  We'll see.

-Windscreen is also too small, as a result of the nose issue. I figure I can gently bend/shape a piece of clear plastic and then use vinyl or aluminum tape to make the framing.

-Chin bubbles, not a clue, but will sort it when the time comes. It'll be part of the fix for the nose, which is essentially too tall (part of the short windscreen) and yet too short length-wise.  Once I get the interior close to being sorted and put in, I'll start working on that. Because I had tackled the old Huey Hog kit and grafted essentially the entirety of the KH nose onto it, I have some understanding of the shapes at play.  Took me forever and a day to get it sorted, especially as the B version was horribly warped.  But that's a different story.  I'll be sure to take plenty of photos and document it for everyone along the way!

-Peter  

8 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Oh my!  I have never seen the Gnome engine one--you might be as crazy as me!

For the nose, obviously more to follow when I get there, but here's my take:

-Overhead windows are the wrong shape and the way Revell made the cavity for them creates further issues. I plan on cleaning them up and just dropping some clear sheet in it. For the rounded section near the edge, I plan on either just gently sanding, or some heat and sanding.  We'll see.

-Windscreen is also too small, as a result of the nose issue. I figure I can gently bend/shape a piece of clear plastic and then use vinyl or aluminum tape to make the framing.

-Chin bubbles, not a clue, but will sort it when the time comes. It'll be part of the fix for the nose, which is essentially too tall (part of the short windscreen) and yet too short length-wise.  Once I get the interior close to being sorted and put in, I'll start working on that. Because I had tackled the old Huey Hog kit and grafted essentially the entirety of the KH nose onto it, I have some understanding of the shapes at play.  Took me forever and a day to get it sorted, especially as the B version was horribly warped.  But that's a different story.  I'll be sure to take plenty of photos and document it for everyone along the way!

-Peter  

I am completely with you on this one Peter, to will share your journey, or more precisely, as I take forever to make anything, learn from your experiences and try not to make the same errors later! lol :) (I have never made a AB/204/205 UH-1 before, so it will be a new learning curve for me). If I find any useful conversion/correction tips, I'll throw them your way!

Cheers

Derek

Peter-

Cool Project. I also built the old Revell Huey many moons ago, I loved that kit. 

On a side note, I know you mentioned trying to find the old Dragon kit, but did you ever look at MRC/Academy’s UH-1D kit in 1/35th? Built one some time ago, saw they rereleased it as late as last year. Better shapes and details than the Revell, nose shape was definitely better. Would also help as your figures are 1/35th!

Keep the updates coming, bud!

THOR    :ph34r: