Caudron G.III from CSM!

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, vince14 said:

It only looks terrifying from our point of view - don't forget, for 1914 this was state-of-the-art.

Good point. there was a different perception of risk back then.

"I murdered him in cold blood, by surprise; and I sent ten rounds into its arse at a range of less than ten meters, under his tail. The devil take his soul!"
René Dorme, describing his victory of 24 April 1917 to his parents

"The swine are better off dead. No prisoners for me!"
- exlinkon.gifEdward Mannock to 'Grid' Caldwell, after Caldwell took him to task for shooting up the crew of a downed German two-seater on the ground.

'Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath' - Edward Mannock (note that this is sometimes written as 'never below' which is a bit more catchy)

'Until one has given everything, one has given nothing' - Georges Guynemer

'I hope the ******* burned all the way down' - Edward Mannock (this one in reference to MVR, upon hearing of him being shot down and killed)

'If it had not have been for his helmet and goggles, I could have seen what sort of face he had' Manfred Von Richthofen (on his fight with Lanoe Hawker)

'At one point he waved to me' Manfred Von Richthofen (again referring to Hawker when in combat with him)

'I saw British Tommies waving from a trench to me, and I felt much braver than I did a few minutes before' James McCudden (on his engine faltering after a combat and him barely making it back over the lines)

'Those Huns were artists' Edward Mannock (not what people normally imagine he would say)

'I hadn't time to observe him hit Mother Earth, as things were happening' Edward Mannock

'Are you ready to die for your country Taffy? Will you have it in flames or in pieces?' Edward Mannock (a greeting to Ira Jones)

'I shall never rest content, 'kill or be killed' can only be my motto' Ira Jones (upon hearing of Mannock's death)

'One of my guns jammed, but the other one shot all the better' Oswald Boelcke

'Everyone ran in the direction of the dugout, I thought to myself that it was safer to be in the air, and dashed off' Stefan Kirmaier

'I could have hugged him when he asked whether I wanted to go to the Somme with him' Manfred Von Richthofen (on being asked by Boelcke to join Jasta 2)'

'If I had to be shot down, I'm pleased that it should have been by so good a man' Captain RE Wilson (on being shot down by Oswald Boelcke)

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

If they bring on a G.4 to follow this one, I'm totally in!  I was honored and privileged to have been asked by the National Air & Space Museum to produce some reproduction Gremont prop logos for their G.4 a number of years ago.  It makes me proud to see my work displayed for everyone to see!

NNRCH3.jpg

9T91Fk.jpg

The G4 at the NASM is stunning. All the more so now that I know your work is on it Jennings!  I live just 30 minutes from the NASM so it remains a regular haunt of mine. A great place to visit. 

11 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

One of the few WWI aircraft that still used wing warping for lateral control.

All the Taubes, the Eindeckers, Sopwith Tabloids, many monoplane Nieuports, Morane Saulniers - there were a lot of wing warpers in 1914/15

Richard

I have this image which just popped into my head: a group of country women of 150 years ago, sitting around making a patchwork quilt. Their hands all moving up and down, up and down as their  hands move their needles, stitching the squares of cloth in place. A frenzy of creativity as the quilt takes form. 

That will be us as we do the rigging on this beastie. 

My wife makes patchwork quilts the olde fashioned way but, she uses a digitized $4,000 Pfaff electronic sewing machine! State of the art 2021.

I, on the other hand, will be stitching by hand, state of the art 1870. Lucky me! 

We should all get together and have a "rigging bee", like our female ancestors had "quilting bees."

:wacko::rofl:

Ssculptor

By the way, if any of you survive doing the rigging on this G-3 you can buy TWO more of the G-3 and combine them to make a twin engine G-4.

I'm a real glutton for punishment but it should be comfortable living in a padded cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnPG1v61AEk

I hope this plays OK.

7 hours ago, ssculptor said:

I have this image which just popped into my head: a group of country women of 150 years ago, sitting around making a patchwork quilt. Their hands all moving up and down, up and down as their  hands move their needles, stitching the squares of cloth in place. A frenzy of creativity as the quilt takes form. 

That will be us as we do the rigging on this beastie. 

My wife makes patchwork quilts the olde fashioned way but, she uses a digitized $4,000 Pfaff electronic sewing machine! State of the art 2021.

I, on the other hand, will be stitching by hand, state of the art 1870. Lucky me! 

We should all get together and have a "rigging bee", like our female ancestors had "quilting bees."

:wacko::rofl:

Ssculptor

I hope we all dress for the part:

womens-work-description-airplane-factory

Richard

20 hours ago, ssculptor said:

Well, those loose dresses look very comfortable. I would not appear in public wearing one, but in a factory...well.

Being serious, there are a great many images of aeroplanes having their fabric coverings being fitted by women.

On the other hand, I'd expect the various rigging wires to be fitted by men because it is 'technical' not 'craft'*. The wires give the final shape to the 'plane so rigging involved a lot of work with spirit levels, plumbobs and measuring

Richard

*Which of course meant craft - i.e. women's work was not paid as well

Edited by RLWP
To add a 'not' - otherwise it made no sense!

On 5/21/2021 at 3:19 AM, RLWP said:

Being serious, there are a great many images of aeroplanes having their fabric coverings being fitted by women.

On the other hand, I'd expect the various rigging wires to be fitted by men because it is 'technical' not 'craft'*. The wires give the final shape to the 'plane so rigging involved a lot of work with spirit levels, plumbobs and measuring

Richard

*Which of course meant craft - i.e. women's work was not paid as well

I disagree most emphatically! Maybe UK women are too dainty and delicate to work with rigging wires (Ooo! Rigging wires may be covered with icky, slimy oil. That will mess up my hair do). Talk about an outdated anti-female concept! In WW2 women were working on steam locomotives along with airplanes and the like. Don't utter such bigoted, short sighted ideas in front of the "Rosie the Riveters" of WW2 days and of these days. 

Also you are lucky you do not reside in the U.S.A. because the members of female engineer associations hereabouts would cut you a new one!

Forsooth! :fight: