1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

On 5/15/2021 at 9:06 PM, TAG said:

SUPERLATIVE!

Thanks TAG!  I appreciate it!

On 5/15/2021 at 10:34 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Another brilliant, superbly-executed build, John! What's next?

Kev

Thanks Kev!  I've got the Special Hobby Tempest V that I need to get back on but I'm starting a 1/48 Tamiya Tomcat as a change of pace build.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:25 PM, Greif8 said:

Simply spectacular build John.  Your color modulation of the camo is very eye-catching as is the scratch building on the landing gear components.

Ernest

Thank you Ernest!  Lots of different facets to the build that hopefully combine into a cohesive whole.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:28 PM, Martinnfb said:

Simply the best ! :bow:

Thanks Martin!

On 5/16/2021 at 12:25 AM, Wackyracer said:

:bow::bow::bow:

Masterpiece AGAIN, 

John you are a true inspiration.

Aaron 

Thank you Aaron!  As always, a pleasure and joy to share my builds here.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:16 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Superb efforts as usual.   Stunning  build.   :clap2:

Thanks Troy!  I appreciate it.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:48 AM, Zola25 said:

Fantastic - Really nice

Thank you Sir!

On 5/16/2021 at 6:51 AM, Beaconroot said:

Well done John! Absolutely an incredible piece of work! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jim Root

Thanks for the support and comments along the way, Jim!

On 5/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Another stunner John!  As I've mentioned before, the #1 feature of all your builds is your superlative painting, which is absolutely mesmerizing on this model.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!  Still learning and hoping to improve.  That wire on the whip antenna is bothering me!!!  Must've gotten tweaked during the photo shoot!:BANGHEAD2:

22 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

STRABILIANTE

Grazie

14 hours ago, Palm-tree said:

Very good.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Magnificent John! Riveting, painting, weathering, it all looks like the real deal. Well done!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

:bow::)

10 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Truly amazing and the build was a blast to follow. Very inspiring!

John

Thank you John!  In addition to relieving my need for expression, I do hope that my builds are helpful to other modelers.  I'm not shy about referencing other builds to get ideas from and I'd like to contribute in the same way.

2 hours ago, alain11 said:

you perfectly nailed the complex paint scheme , .. (a real nightmare ) ....:goodjob:

Alain

Thank you!  It did take a long time for me to process the paint scheme in my mind.  I could never really get my head around it completely but after a basic game plan was established (Field-applied RLM 82/83 green mottling over a speculative RLM 81/82 factory finish), I just pushed forward and let the cards fall where they may.

1 hour ago, Feed me Jack said:

That's absolutely staggeringly good, just perfection :bow:

How did you do your paint chipping on the ring root areas - it looks fantastic 

Thank you very much!  The Dora is my favorite aircraft so even though I've built this kit many times, I'm always trying to learn and improve.  The initial paint chipping on the wing roots was done using the hairspray method.  Metal finish first and then a coat of hairspray.  After the camo finish is sprayed on and dry, you use a stiff brush moistened with water and rub the area.  The water will disrupt the hairspray layer and cause the camo finish to break apart, a little at a time.  This creates a nicely realistic chipping effect.  I augmented the initial hairspray chipping with a silver pencil but for the most part, I kept the chipping effects on this build to a minimum based on what I was seeing in the archive photos of Yellow 10.

One of my favorite current build comes to an end. Sad to see this stop, but what a jewel you've made!
Thanks for the inspiration and sharing.

Hope you will also treat us with earlier Luftwaffe in the future !

With regards.

Mathieu

On 5/17/2021 at 10:31 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

I keep noticing more details every time I look at this.  Just noticed the "odd" tyres. :speak_cool:

Brilliant.  Looking forward to your next project.

Cheers,

Michael

Heh... I'm glad you noticed that!  I was debating whether or not to replicate what the archive photos were showing and decided to go for it, even though the OCD in me hates having a single kit tire and a single Barracuda replacement tire. :)

On 5/18/2021 at 12:28 AM, Jeff T said:

Simply gorgeous work John!

Another absolute stunner of a build from front to back.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff!  

On 5/18/2021 at 9:34 AM, reserve_22 said:

I never seen better Fw190:m0152:

Thanks alot!

22 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Very very nice, John.  I hope my Dora can hold a candle. The depth of attention to detail is sublime.  

Bill

Thanks for following along Bill!  

22 hours ago, MDuv said:

One of my favorite current build comes to an end. Sad to see this stop, but what a jewel you've made!
Thanks for the inspiration and sharing.

Hope you will also treat us with earlier Luftwaffe in the future !

With regards.

Mathieu

Thank you so much Matthieu!  Although my "sweet spot" is late war Luftwaffe subjects, there is always opportunity to branch out into different areas.  Right now, I am doing a F-14A that I'm posting on the Non-LSP board.

22 hours ago, Hartmann52 said:

Heh, ideal of 190D!!!

Thank you Hartmann!  Looking forward to more of your Dora!

4 hours ago, Feed me Jack said:

Hi Thannus, thanks for the reply.

If I used an enamel metallic primer , and used acrylic over that, would I still need to use hairspray to protect it? Or would that not be advisable since acrylic might not spray well over a metallic finish?

Cheers

I'm not an expert on paint compatibility but I reckon if you let the enamel dry thoroughly, you could spray hairspray over that and then an acrylic over the hairspray to do the chipping effect.

• 5 weeks later...