1/24 DR1 Meng

The Phantom

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looks great, but I’m a little disappointed that they molded the elevators as part of the tail like in the 1/32 kit, instead of making them separate.

Why? They can be bent into position. I would prefer them molded on, as you can't knock them off.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine today, and all I can say is WOW!  It looks like they’ve taken care of the issues of the 1/32 kit by molding each wing in upper and lower halves with internal bracing on the parts to prevent warping.  Also, the stacking lugs on the wing LE are now separate parts that you attach in the correct locations (inboard or outboard, depending on the airframe).  The rib tape molding is more subtle and refined than on the smaller kit.  Since the kit comes with rolled PE machine gun cooling jackets and seat belts of flexible strips and PE buckles, I’m not sure that it really needs any aftermarket.  Definitely not just a simple scale up of the 1/32 parts.  It will be interesting to see if they do any other 1/24  WW1 aircraft kit.

As a note, this kit is a production DR1 only, but it looks like the F1 may be released as a separate boxing.  There are flashed over holes in the rear fuselage marked DR1 and F1, and a couple of parts like the upper forward fuselage and tailplane have a small DR1 molded on them.

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

It will be interesting to see if they do any other 1/24  WW1 aircraft kit.

Hi Dave,

IIRC, a 1/24 Sopwith Camel was something WNW was developing along with the DR1. How far along that project was before WNW shut down, I don’t know. 

Thanks for your impressions of the DR1, and it’s nice to have confirmation that it’s not a scale-up from 1/32.

Cheers,

Adam

I'm probably completely alone on this, but after having just completed the 32nd version, I'd actually rather have full single part wings, even with warping. 

Took me way less time to hot water treat the wings than it would have to clip them, glue them all up, and let them dry.

14 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm probably completely alone on this, but after having just completed the 32nd version, I'd actually rather have full single part wings, even with warping. 

Took me way less time to hot water treat the wings than it would have to clip them, glue them all up, and let them dry.

I’d wager there are technical issues in making a plastic part that long and thick without warping or sink marks, not to mention the effect of the extra weight on the landing gear struts.

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d wager there are technical issues in making a plastic part that long and thick without warping or sink marks, not to mention the effect of the extra weight on the landing gear struts.

Could be. All that aside, I was more speaking from a buildability standpoint rather than if it was technically possible. 24th isnt really my thing so a bit moot for me I guess.