1/32 Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.Vb YO-A 401 Sqn RCAF.

monthebiff

I've been wanting to build a Vb for some time and when I saw the new release from Exito Decals I decided to have a go at converting the Revell Mk.IIa in to a Vb with the help of an AML wing update set as well as a few other aftermarket bits and pieces. I did concider using the HobbyBoss kit but I'm not a huge fan of the general shape of the upper fuselage which all looks a bit flat and fat to my eye. I have a decent amount of AM for this one as well as a few bits and pieces taken from a failed HobbyBoss Mk.V that never made it over the line.

20210510-090744.jpg 

20210510-090815.jpg

20210512-212357.jpg

20210510-160745.jpg

20210510-160756.jpg

I also have some Barracuda resin cockpit updates and a lovely resin Rotol prop from Department of Correction I need to dig out of the stash and to finish off I would like to thank Carl (BlrwestSIR) for kindly donating a pair of clipped wingtips left over from one of his Tamiya kits.

Regards. Andy

On 5/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

I will be watching this, as I have the same decal sheet and was planing to do the same,this will show me how much work there is to do.

Not to difficult to do at all, the main thing is the B wing modification made easier with the AML set and otherwise filling and opening up some new holes.

Regards.Andy 

2 hours ago, IainM said:

Nice, and thank you! I didn't realize there was a conversion set like that out there. That is indeed good news for a future project.
Looking forward to seeing your build!

I had no idea either Iain until recently! Hopefully I can do this justice as it should be a simple conversion. I built the Revell kit when it first came out and backdated to a Mk.Ia. In general its a pretty simple kit to build.

Regards. Andy 

So, my initial work on this build is to focus on the wing and converting the A wing to the B wing. All in all not to difficult with some filling of various panel lines, shell ejector chutes and one 303 gun port.

The Eduard exterior set is really nice and covers the lower wing including wheel bays and radiator/ oil cooler. The wheel bay parts are a little tricky to fit but make a big difference to the look of the underside. I then opened up the wings to accept the 20mm Hispano's as well as adding the ejector chutes next to the wheel bays.

20210514-161010.jpg

20210514-161225.jpg

Next up is some rescribing and then adding the AML wing bulge set. I'm going to use the oil cooler from my old HB Spitfire failure as its a pretty good shape

So far so good!

Regards.Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

8 hours ago, monthebiff said:

I had no idea either Iain until recently! Hopefully I can do this justice as it should be a simple conversion. I built the Revell kit when it first came out and backdated to a Mk.Ia. In general its a pretty simple kit to build.

Regards. Andy 

I will be following with great interest! Managed to snap up the last in-stock AML Vb conversion from Hannants this morning after reading your post :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, IainM said:

I will be following with great interest! Managed to snap up the last in-stock AML Vb conversion from Hannants this morning after reading your post :thumbsup:

Any idea if this set is OOP or if it will be restocked?

6 hours ago, IainM said:

14 minutes ago, John1 said:

Any idea if this set is OOP or if it will be restocked?

There were 5+ available when I ordered mine from Hannants last week so the rest have disappeared pretty quickly! They will probably get a restock but they are in stock on the AML site

https://eshop.aml.cz/en/pur-sets/1487-sspitfire-mkvb-the-conversion-set.html

Regards. Andy 

13 hours ago, JefH said:

Really excited to see this one come together.  I've been thinking about attempting the Spit V conversion with the same items.  

Cheers-  Jeff

Thanks for looking in Jeff, its a pretty simple conversion and the actual kit builds up really easily.

Regards. Andy