A probable P51A and or B by ZM??

Jack

Maybe this issue has already been discussed in the past, but on opening this ZM P51D/K kit, and inspecting the sprues, i saw a specific insert for the wingroot leading edge to be glued in place at the front end of the  wing , the insert being the wider shape as for a 51D wing, were the A en B's had ofcourse a different shape, so would this be an indication for a future ZM P51B??

pJGVIB5.jpg

2Ewp0aV.jpg

Syxoodw.jpg

HTH,

Jack.

It is not really possible to take a 6-gun Mustang wing and turn it into a 4-gun wing by just changing the gun ports in the leading edge. The 6-gun wing has six spent ammunition ports, different ammunition doors and the 4-gun wing had a landing light in the leading edge of the port wing and a different wing root leading edge. The shape of the wheel well was slightly different. 

Unfortunately there is nothing in the ZM Mustang D that hints at a B. However, the President of ZM announced that they are planning a B at some stage in the future. 

HTH 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Thanks for the info Radu, i was just wondering why this "insert" wasn't just a solid part of the 51D wing, hence the thought of a 51A or B wing.

I am a Mustang "nut" but apparently not such a expert on the subject.

J.

Probably an engineering detail to avoid a bunch of wing seams needing work in the area of the gun ports. I've done several kits where that part is a tough fit or the seams don't quite line up because the upper and lower wings weren't exactly right. They have to mold the gun port section separately to get the holes decent anyway, so might as well get the whole leading edge in 1 piece and make the seam in an actual panel line.

4 hours ago, Radub said:

It is not really possible to take a 6-gun Mustang wing and turn it into a 4-wing wing by just changing the gun posts in the leading edge. The 6-gun wing has six spent ammunition ports, different ammunition doors and the 4-gun wing had a landing light in the leading edge of the port wing and a different wing root leading edge. The shape of the wheel well was slightly different. 

Unfortunately there is nothing in the ZM Mustang D that hints at a B. However, the President of ZM announced that they are planning a B at some stage in the future. 

HTH 

Radu 

Not to mention the D wing is thicker in chord than the B wing.  The B had the 50 cals mounted leaning over to the side.

Edited by Mark B.

24 minutes ago, Mark B. said:

Not to mention the D wing is thicker in chord than the B wing.  The B had the 50 cals mounted leaning over to the side.

This is the first time I’ve heard that.  Can you tell me where you got that information?  I’ve never heard the wing  was materially different in chord between the B and the D.  There’s obvious differences in gun, ammunition installations and details and the increase in rake of the inboard leading edge in the D but have not heard/seen the airfoil itself was thicker (unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re referring to).

18 hours ago, Juggernut said:

This is the first time I’ve heard that.  Can you tell me where you got that information? 

:oops:

I apologize for the incorrect statement in my post above.  Actually I got that information from my godfather sometime in the early 70s.  He had spent 35 years in the Nevada ANG starting back in 1952 when they were flying F-51D Mustangs.  He and his family were visiting my family in Chula Vista one summer and he saw my Revell P-51B and told me about the guns jamming due them being mounted at an angle.  He said they remedied this on the D model by thinking the air foil width to mount the guns upright. 

I just took him at his word and never really doubted him because he had actually crawled around on the wings and loaded 50 call ammo in the gun bays.  And while all my P-51 references do mention the gun jam issues in the B model and the vertical mounting of the guns in the D model they do not say why the B model had the guns  mounted at an angle.  So I just assumed (and boy did that bite me :unsure:) that he was right.  

I  did go and check the drawings in my Detail & Scale and P-51 in Action books and you are correct sir.  Same overall thickness. 

Once again my apologies for the in correct information and thanks for teaching me something new today. 

Happy modeling and have a great day,

Mark B.

This has been announced for years. The only other options if you can't wait is 109ace Kevin Martin. He has an all resin kit about ready to go or you can get a resin conversion

and the bottom of the old Hasegawa D and along with the Revell kit is possibly used per Bert Kinzey P 51 Early P51s. Myself I will have ago with the conversion and buy the resin kit also.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

...Or find an old Jerry Rutman P-51B resin kit...

sorry, i agree to disagree on this one.....