VE Day Today (Never Forget)

Mark P

Sadly, there’s so many current events that occupy the media today, the only hope of any sort of television remembrance are the channels that either occasionally or regularly run programs on that subject.  As we’re all painfully aware, the people who actually lived through that time are leaving us at an ever increasing rate making live memories nothing more than stories in far too many cases.  There is hope that it will be mentioned by some network but I’m not holding my breath.

Im actually surprised that  many people don’t remember 9-11, then I think that it was 20 years ago and a lot of the younger people weren’t even born yet.  Having said that, I was born 17 years after VE Day (and VJ Day) and I remember it….

Not sure what history is taught in schools these days but you’d think that dust up in the 30’s and 40’s would  at least rate a page or two.

I guess time, and the human race move on for all but those of us who choose to remember the sacrifices of those who came before us.

Why would press people want to remember important events that are old news? 

Cannot make money touting old events like major or even minor wars.

Gotta have fresh news.

Older people remember important events which is why we have so many ceremonies commerating our combatants who fought and suffered so we can enjoy our freedoms. 

Ssculptor

In the Netherlands it's still a hot topic, thats because the 4th of May its the national remembrance day and the 5th of may its the national liberation day.

So the theme for some commercial channels and NatGeo in the first two weeks of May is WWII.

Its also a topic during the history lessons at primary school.

Because I'm a member of the Dutch air defense the headmaster of my daughters school asked me if I would give a lecture about operation Market Garden (we live in Arnhem), and whats it like to be in the army to serve in other countries for a longer time.

We received a great respons from the kids, with questions we never thought off.

3 hours ago, O.W said:

In the Netherlands it's still a hot topic, thats because the 4th of May its the national remembrance day and the 5th of may its the national liberation day.

So the theme for some commercial channels and NatGeo in the first two weeks of May is WWII.

Its also a topic during the history lessons at primary school.

Because I'm a member of the Dutch air defense the headmaster of my daughters school asked me if I would give a lecture about operation Market Garden (we live in Arnhem), and whats it like to be in the army to serve in other countries for a longer time.

We received a great respons from the kids, with questions we never thought off.

God bless the Dutch!  The UK went overboard in my opinion with Captain Tom's 100 circuits of his garden last year, (good on him but....!) however it seems as a nation we're all too ready to forget, (or is it part of the "woke" (how I hate that term and its implications) dictatorial agenda) the millions who died in WW2 not to mention the tens of millions who suffered in so many other ways.  NEVER FORGET!

Edited by mozart

When I was still a kid in the mid-seventies, I had to tell a student at school that we had won the war, and Germany wasn't the enemy anymore, but rather the Soviet Union.

But hey, Canada was and is very distant from major conflicts so many don't think too much about any wars.

Many recent events make me think we should pay more attention to what happened in the 20th century...

Alain