Apollo question

Chek

So there I was explaining to my son that those of us who were there knew the significance of Grissom, Chaffee and White's names because it was big news at the time and their places in space history were assured because of what happened to them. (This was years before the current For All Mankind TV series).

But then one thing came up that stumped me.

What is the significance of the black painted areas on the Apollo rockets? And why those locations? I had to admit I have no idea.

Something to do with heat dispersion?

I dunno.

Edited by Chek

I think they were roll patterns so cameras tracking the rocket after liftoff

would know what it was doing. Mercury and Gemini had them as well.

My dad was with NASA from 1964-1969 and I was standing on the beach

for Apollo 9, 10 and 11 launch. Was awesome to see!

Cheers...Ron

I envy you being an eyewitness. I've heard said that the feel of a launch is something you have to experience for yourself.

That explanation does sound very plausible.

18 hours ago, Chek said:

I envy you being an eyewitness. I've heard said that the feel of a launch is something you have to experience for yourself.

That explanation does sound very plausible.

I was 12 years old and had been around airplanes all my life. Standing on the beach about 5 miles away when those 5 F-1 

engines came to life there was lots of fire and the water vapor cloud...didn't hear anything at the time...but several seconds 

later the shock wave hit with the noise...felt like someone had a steel trash can lid on my chest beating it with a hammer! As

it climbed and picked up speed you'd get that popcorn sound and you could see it pass through MAX Q with the vapor cloud

forming around the S-IVB adapter. Was and awesome sight to see!

I'm 64 and still remember it like yesterday! And the voice of Jack King...Apollo Launch Control!

Cheers...Ron

I grew up in central Fla and remember going to one of the Apollo launches that occurred at 2 or 3 am.  We were about 5 or 6 miles from the launch pad and the exhaust was so bright you could read a newspaper by the glow.  The crackling and popping sound you hear on TV/videos was exactly how it sounded.

The fin numbers were to indicate how the S-1C stage was to be placed on the launch mount - I seem to remember  , if your interested in wat went on behind the scenes of the Launch operations at the cape in the days of Apollo , may I recommend 

Rocket Ranch

An excellent reed - especially details of the black room under the Launch tower that would allow the crew and engineers safe in the couldn't evacuate in time - hair raising doesn't come close !

4 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

The fin numbers were to indicate how the S-1C stage was to be placed on the launch mount - I seem to remember  , if your interested in wat went on behind the scenes of the Launch operations at the cape in the days of Apollo , may I recommend 

Rocket Ranch

An excellent reed - especially details of the black room under the Launch tower that would allow the crew and engineers safe in the couldn't evacuate in time - hair raising doesn't come close !

If you like podcasts, 13 Minutes to the Moon is excellent! Series 1 covers the first moon landing, Series 2 covers Apollo 13, both are well worth listening to*

Richard

*while modelling, for instance