LSP Dioramas

Archimedes

Sometimes manufacturer’s logic makes some sense: Border model create a Bf109 in 1/35 and, providing one can source the 1/35 airfield vehicles (and there is a range to choose from) one could do a convincing Luftwaffe airfield diorama. But that is for one 1/35 aircraft. 

But then, IBG release a Bedford QLD refueller... in 1/35.

Are there any 1/35 RAF aircraft out there? This choice of scale makes no sense to me.  If manufacturers made a 1/32 Bedford QL one could put it next to a 1/32 Mosquito or Lancaster. Then my mind runs away and there could be a 1/32 AEC Matador or a 1/32 Scammell Pioneer with a Queen Mary trailer.... I know, I know....totally unrealistic...

I truly wish manufacturers would do their airfield vehicles in 1/32. Heresy I am sure. 

Best regards

Paul

Nope there aren't , I've built the QL tanker , and to be honest it really doesn't look out of place against a 1/32 aircraft .. and yes this is a horse that has been well beaten  , some objctive evidence wouldn't go amiss , so here's a rather dusty ZM P-51D  posed next to the IBG QL 

kAbqYyW.jpg

There is perhaps an issue of 1/32 figures against these 1/35 vehicles, this is an ICM  RAF figure standing next to the QL, and yes perhaps  it doesn't look quite right ..

vSPW4hr.jpg

I'd like 1/32 vehicles, but to be honest 1/35 is the scale for Vehicles, and 1/32 is the scale for aircraft , it's a total pain , but it is workable , at least in my opinion ..

29 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

Nope there aren't , I've built the QL tanker , and to be honest it really doesn't look out of place against a 1/32 aircraft .. and yes this is a horse that has been well beaten  , some objctive evidence wouldn't go amiss , so here's a rather dusty ZM P-51D  posed next to the IBG QL 

kAbqYyW.jpg

There is perhaps an issue of 1/32 figures against these 1/35 vehicles, this is an ICM  RAF figure standing next to the QL, and yes perhaps  it doesn't look quite right ..

vSPW4hr.jpg

I'd like 1/32 vehicles, but to be honest 1/35 is the scale for Vehicles, and 1/32 is the scale for aircraft , it's a total pain , but it is workable , at least in my opinion ..

IMHO 1/32 or 1/35 figures will all match different equipment scales.

Don't forget all human beings come in different shapes and sizes in real life, therefore a guy 6' 4" will no more be out of place than someone who is 5' 4".

Someone will have longer legs/arms, bigger chest sizes and heads even.

Look around you in a crowd and you will see a complete difference all the time.

This is truly a modellers gift when it comes to such a small difference in these particular scales.

I mix them up all the time and they look completely in place.

I do agree with the lack of some equipment though,  large fuel tankers in particular!

I have recently despatched an e-mail off to ICM requesting they consider the AEC Tanker but the Chevrolet used by the USAAF would equally be very welcome!

I did get a response so we'll see if we get lucky?

In the meantime my message is mix 'em up, they look just fine! ;)

IBG released the refueller truck in 1/35th scale for a simple reason: they have already released the transport versions. So this was just a matter of adding a simple tank sprue! Releasing it in 1/32nd would ask for re-creating a full set of molds. Again a basic economics reason.

4 hours ago, Royboy said:

Look around you in a crowd and you will see a complete difference all the time.

Look around in a what now? Is that one of those Pre 2020 thing that ive heard so much about :o

I think that word has been erased from the dictionary:evil_laugh:

Sorry could not resist a little covid humour! 

I'd like to do a big Blackhawk Down diorama, with the KittyHawk MH-60 Blackhawk and AH-6 / MH-6 Little Birds. Luckily they're all 1/35, so I can add a Hummer and any other military vehicles or technicals or figures I want. Just have to pick a scene to recreate. For 1/32 aircraft dioramas, I wonder if 3D printing will be the answer. Once there's a CAD file, I imagine you can scale it to whatever you want and then print it. Haven't picked one up yet, but I think I'll have to for some of the 1/32 race planes and dioramas I'd like to build.

Hi All,

In terms of noticing differences it is not the figures that concern me but the equipment itself.  For example the different in wingspan of a 1/32 Lancaster (971 mm) is significantly different to that of a (fictional) 1/35 Lancaster (888 mm). That is 83 mm and would most definitely be noticeable (at least to me). But that is a large dimension overall; what about smaller dimensions? A 1/35 Bedford next to a 1/32 Lancaster would look small because it is 16 mm shorter 7mm lower in height, and 6 mm narrower than a (fictional) 1/32 Bedford. I guess that would be noticeable to me. 

My original comment was however not really on how noticeable a difference would be but on the reasoning for producing certain kits in certain scales. Thierry correctly points out that for IBG the reason is economic which makes sense for that particular kit.  I would hope, if starting from scratch, that manufacturers would consider producing airfield vehicles in 1/32. 

I'll stop beating the skeletal remains now. :deadhorse:

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

There is the option to go die-cast as a few "toy soldier" companies (Forces of Valour and King and Country ) as the models are all pre-painted, but the scale is 54mm or 1/32

https://picclick.com/german-wwii-opel-blitz-1-32-diecast-metal-model-111791549448.html

this stuff is not cheap but is 1/32.

Check out 54mm vehicles on evilbay you might be surprised

Bob

Just now, Bob MDC said:

There is the option to go die-cast as a few "toy soldier" companies (Forces of Valour and King and Country ) as the models are all pre-painted, but the scale is 54mm or 1/32

https://picclick.com/german-wwii-opel-blitz-1-32-diecast-metal-model-111791549448.html

this stuff is not cheap but is 1/32.

Check out 54mm vehicles on evilbay you might be surprised

Bob

Good thought. I like that idea.

My query on the scale question was triggered by the 1/35 IBG Bedford but actuall related to an idea for a diorama I have.  I am currently reading  ‘Lawrence of Arabia and Middle Eastern Air Power’ published by Cross & Cockade. There are some photos I have found online which show a variety of motley aircraft with the Rolls Royce tenders and armoured cars Lawrence’s units used. 

‘Wouldn’t it be good’ I thought ‘ to do something like an AMC DH9 with a Rolls tender and/or armoured car next to it.’ 

I have a WNW DH9. Could I find a 1/32 armoured Rolls? No. The Roden and Meng offerings are in 1/35. What about a tender? Lawrence’s ‘Blue Mist’ was a converted 1909 Silver Ghost commandeered from Cairo that had been stripped of its body and a crude pickup bed put on the back. Could I find a 1/32 Silver Ghost? I ruled out both Airfix offerings (1905 and 1911) and came up with the Pyro 1909 Silver Ghost kit which, for its age, the  doesn’t look half bad. So it is possible to do that...I just need to read on to confirm if DH9s were, in fact,  stationed near Aqaba during the time Lawrence was operating from there or, if not, what was. 

All good research fun!

best regards

Paul