R-2800 question

Would the spark plugs really be visible on P & W R-2800? I have been tempted to get the ANYZ spark plugs but it seems to me they would have been covered by some kind of boot or tube for anti-static purposes. After all, I can't see the spark plugs on my car and these plugs have to perform in MUCH harsher conditions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

52 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What flavor of R2800 is that in the photo!?!?  I've never seen a single one with the P&W logo on top of the reduction gear case like that.  And where are the magnetos?

Is it even an R2800? I dont think it is...

Pratt_&_Whitney_R-2800_Engine_1.jpg

It depends on how much of the engine you want to display.  All 36 plug leads, plus the leads from the magnetos, are visible from the front, but the plugs on the back of each cylinder disappear as they pass through the cooling tins.  If you're doing a model with no removable cowlings, then it's only the front view you have to contend with.  If, like me, you like to have the cowlings off, then it gets more complicated.  I recently finished the engine on the Tamiya Corsair, and that was a bit of a juggle of parts to thread the plug leads through the cooling tins and into the back of the cylinders.  For those, I glued the plug leads into the cylinders first, then through the tins as I fitted those, then into the plug lead ring on the front of the engine.  It's just time and patience, and if you get tangled up, put it down and come back to it later.

Cheers,

Michael

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What flavor of R2800 is that in the photo!?!?  I've never seen a single one with the P&W logo on top of the reduction gear case like that.  And where are the magnetos?

6 hours ago, rjones726 said:

I think the photo Derek posted is an R-1830

Yes, you are correct - I just 'Wikki'ed R-2800 and selected an image without really looking at it too closely, which is normally not like me at all! (however, it still serves to illustrate the principle that spark the plugs can at least still be seen on the front row of cylinders, even if the engine is a different one! :) ).

Derek