Making a comeback and a question

Eli Raphael

Hi Gents,

After a long and arduous life issues I have returned to my nest. Sorry for the lack of communication from my side.

Anyway, a short story up 'till now. Zotz decals has ceased to exist. Death of my printer, moved residence of my drawing artist and my health issues has deemed necessary to do it. 

I'm, thank God, still modeling. Not as often as before, but still.

Need help from you, Vietnam era Phantom fans (Thierry & Ben come to mind). Starting another F-4J and want advise on the ordenance that I want to install on her.

My choice would be:

Center line tank

Sparrows (how many and position on lower fus.)

Sidewinders? If so, how many and type used 67-73 era

TERs on inner and outer wing positions.

Weapons desired

Mk.20s on inner pylons. Shoulder positions

Snake eyes on outer pylons? Feasable? If so, how many?

Thanks for the help, I'll keep in touch, promise.

15 minutes ago, Tony T said:

If Navy I'd go for four of each missile type with a c/l tank, and inboard wing pylon TERS with six Mk.82 LDGP (slick) or Mk.82 Snakeyes. I'd leave off the outboard wing pylons altogether unless doing a Marines jet.

Cheers

Tony 

Would you place empty  outer pylons or leave that wing portion blank

1 hour ago, Eli Raphael said:

Would you place empty  outer pylons or leave that wing portion blank

Leave the wing blank, except for the pylon attach holes which are a bit different from the kit and slightly inboard of the Tamiya holes. Hopefully somebody can provide a couple of pics.

Tony

17 hours ago, Tony T said:

Leave the wing blank, except for the pylon attach holes which are a bit different from the kit and slightly inboard of the Tamiya holes. Hopefully somebody can provide a couple of pics.

Tony

Drawings and data indicate that the outboard pylons are located 132.5 inches from the airframe butt line (BL), approximately 6 scale inches inside of Tamiya’s mounting position. Conveniently, there's a small mold pin at precisely the right spot, at least on my example.

arC7pH5.jpg

bHKFj1B.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

Welcome back!  

As to your questions, I'll respond w/ the classic "It depends."

Each CVW and squadron had their own SOP for loadouts, so I'd start by asking what squadron and time frame you're thinking about?  As a general rule, they all used the centerline drops. Depending on the mission air to ground or air-to-air, they'd often just loadout Sparrows in the aft wells. Also depended on ordnance shortages, which also affected which Sidewinders and how many were loaded.

I've been digging into VF-114 and VF-213's histories from 66-67. They were assigned to CVW-11 and during each line period, they'd be assigned either air-to-air or air-to-ground and then switch for the next period. Kept it easy to focus on a mission set I guess. But their squadron histories have revealed a wealth of information, including flying w/ wing tanks and an experimental centerline 20mm cannon!

Of course everything I've mentioned covers USN squadrons. I'm not much help w/ USMC loadouts...

-Peter