TFC's Bearcat

2 hours ago, rafju said:

Hello Mike

yes thar's what I noticed first as I didn't recognize the Trumpy front ring cowl.

Did you modify the existing one? or redo a complete new one?

I'm a bit surprise as it doesn't exist a corrected one?

Hi Rafju, I modified the kit part. The part that looked off was the top center front.

I built up some Apoxie Sculpt to the inside in case I went thru but it ended up I didn't.

Then I just sanded away, first the profile elevation, then blended the sides in after.

I used a decent profile like the one below...

...this is the area I removed material ...

iGdAn58.jpg?1

I added a strip of styrene around the lip as I thot the kit lip was too sharp. Then I radiused it smooth.

Here's a decent profile elevation ...

gZqtEII.jpg

HTH, not tryin' to hijack nighthawk's thread  :whistle:

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Rafju, I modified the kit part. The part that looked off was the top center front.

I built up some Apoxie Sculpt to the inside in case I went thru but it ended up I didn't.

Then I just sanded away, first the profile elevation, then blended the sides in after.

I used a decent profile like the one below...

...this is the area I removed material ...

iGdAn58.jpg?1

I added a strip of styrene around the lip as I thot the kit lip was too sharp. Then I radiused it smooth.

Here's a decent profile elevation ...

gZqtEII.jpg

HTH, not tryin' to hijack nighthawk's thread  :whistle:

It's Ok, interesting to see Mike's modification to the cowl ring. I can live with it as is. On another note the carpet monster seams to have stollen the tail wheel little so and so!!!!!

Edited by Nighthawk Calling 1

44 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Looking good, I'm late to the party as usual, I have one of these kits in the stash, I must have fancied the pugnacious looks as I usually only build WW2 subjects, so will be taking notes as I have not seen another build of this kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Welcome along Dennis although it may be short from her.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Campers,

Almost there.

Image show most of the decals are on, I had to paint the A on the fin and rudder as the kit one was to small by about 5mm in length. The missing star and bar will be replaced as it can off with the masking tape when painting the A's, live and learn. Still some bit to do but slowly winning.

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely!   The F8F always did look fetching in DSB.

Thanks Brian,

There are some smart Thia Air Force one's which were silver from 23 sqd, they had a red bull on the fuse (no energy drink needed with an F8 or F7 to make it fly) so maybe one day. BTW the Tigercats looking fab.

Stuart