TFC's Bearcat

Hey Stuart, I built the -2 as a Reno racer (Smirnoff 80) I saw in 1965 after it had won the first Nationals

in 1964. No real problems with the kit. I didn't do alot in the cockpit because it's very hard to see once

finished. I did modify the front of the cowling as I thot it looked off somehow. Have fun, it'll look nice in the end. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Here's Steve's pic from above ...

44021947194_ef6b2b526c_k.jpg

The engineering history of the Bearcat is fascinating.

To get the high performance they had to make the wing lighter.  So to deal with extreme bending moments (as in a high speed dive pull out) the wing would solve its own problem...with primer (detonating) cord that would shear off the outer wing panels!

At least one sailor on a maintenance crew died from these explosives.

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Stuart, I built the -2 as a Reno racer (Smirnoff 80) I saw in 1965 after it had won the first Nationals

in 1964. No real problems with the kit. I didn't do alot in the cockpit because it's very hard to see once

finished. I did modify the front of the cowling as I thot it looked off somehow. Have fun, it'll look nice in the end. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Hi Mike

Your racer is quite the bird and Steve's Red Rippers is a good looking machine, nice to know that the kit has no nasty surprises in stall.

• 2 months later...

So progress has been a bit slow on the reporting side. The kit has progressed along to but I have found that each and every part needs cleaning up, seams and leading and trailing edges, wings beyond the fold are made all 3 parts of them, along with the flaps, tail feathers are complete. Cockpit is almost finished  I need to finish the seat belts, but its no master piece but will look Ok when inside the fuselage. Hopefully some photos soon.

• 8 months later...

So a long over due update, the main airframe is built up, the main concentration has been the engine but progress has been slow over the winter.The engine photo shows the front bank getting the ignition harness the rest will be added in due course. Once the engine is done the undercarriage will get hydraulic lines and paint as well as wheels. Sorry photo are not the best and hopefully more to come as work moves along now spring and the warmer weather is soon upon us. 

Engine

Engine

• 4 weeks later...

Painting inner way Painting inner way Painting inner way

Main painting under way, legs have had hydraulic lines fitted and the wheels are in progress, pic to follow when they are finished. So not long now and she could be on the home straight. Please excuse the mess.

Edited by Nighthawk Calling 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:13 AM, MARU5137 said:

ooh :wub:  that Engine is too Good !!

Still enjoying your build.

Lovely job... she's coming along  beautifully!

:goodjob:  :thumbsup:

Mess? what Mess?

:piliot:

52039430268_3e345165a8_b.jpg

Hi Maru5137,

This Mess, no I never finished the coffee it went cold. Thanks for the kind word about the engine she is coming along nicely hopefully I will get past the finishing line soon. 

Better grammar and spelling!!!!

On 4/30/2022 at 1:13 AM, MARU5137 said:

ooh :wub:  that Engine is too Good !!

Still enjoying your build.

Lovely job... she's coming along  beautifully!

:goodjob:  :thumbsup:

Mess? what Mess?

:piliot:

52039430268_3e345165a8_b.jpg

Hi Maru5137,

This Mess, no I never finished the coffee went cold. Thanks for the kind word about the engine, 

So the picture shows all the main parts now painted, the wheels and legs are out of shot and need some touching up. Also in the picture is what has been the only image I have of her from her time at TFC so some of the painting have to be done according to the instructions. The decals in the kit did not match the picture let alone were they are supposed to fit on the model. There is some work still to do paint wise. I have in the last two days found by chance an image showing the  the plane parked outside hanger two with the wings folded, now the painfull part the image shows the ribs at the brake in the wings were painted white not blue as I have,also the inside of the gear doors white not green, so do I repaint them or just leave well alone. 52042913986_cde2b8a336.jpg

52042966483_4382519c12_b.jpg

Grammer

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, MikeMaben said:

I did modify the front of the cowling as I thot it looked off somehow. Have fun, it'll look nice in the end. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Hello Mike

yes thar's what I noticed first as I didn't recognize the Trumpy front ring cowl.

Did you modify the existing one? or redo a complete new one?

I'm a bit surprise as it doesn't exist a corrected one?