1/32 F-16 BDU scheme

Horrido109

The ACMI and AN/ALQ-188 pods turned out to be a bit more challenging. I acquired the Aires 1/32 AN/ALQ-188 but it turned out that it varies slightly to the one depicted in the picture. After considering all my options I decided to just go with it anyway. I know it is probably not the exact same version as I wanted but it is acceptable to me (that little artist licence we all need some time lol). This is where the purists may not agree ^_^

b-10.jpg

b-9.jpg

The ACMI pod is where all the fun started. I could not source one that I could use so I just scratch built my own one:

b-12.jpg

b-13.jpg

b-16.jpg

b-15.jpg

4 hours ago, Modelpig said:

Nice work, enjoying this thread.

The ALQ pod on your introduction picture is not an ALQ-188...it's an ALQ-167. Hence the differences.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for that info, much appreciated. That's how we learn :rolleyes:

Victor

Edited by Horrido109
Content

WARNING! :P

The following pictures I post may be a little controversial, but not intended to offend anyone by any means. After all, it is just plastic bits we glue together and paint right. But there is a history to it..

I am in possession of a photo where the pilot "communicated" in a somewhat "unfriendly manner" to somebody in the vicinity of his aircraft. I personally found the picture quite amusing, regardless of the pilot's slightly rude gesture. The problem is that I lost a bet where the stakes meant that I had to model my pilot in the same manner as the guy in my picture, if I were to lose. Well, I lost so I had to make him.. As mentioned earlier, I used the Tamiya pilot figure but obviously had to modify him ever so slightly :lol:  

I hope you like him and don't judge the poor fella..:P

a-48.jpg

With an updated/more accurate oxygen hose:

a-55.jpg

a-54.jpg

"Sorry, I hate it when it does that"...:D

Screenshot-19.png

Edited by Horrido109

With the following completed, time arrived for my favourite part of the build, painting!

Completed:

1. Cockpit, pilot and seat

2. Wheel bays and gear

3. Engine intake and exhaust

4. External stores

Will be posting the first steps of the paint process soon..

Victor

Edited by Horrido109
Content

10 hours ago, Horrido109 said:

I only realised after looking at the pictures how bad the paint/thinners make my fingers look lol..:huh: 

My fiancè made me promise to at least post a picture or two to show that my hands are always clean...except when I paint.. So here goes: :clap2:

20220926-133231.jpg

20220926-133257.jpg

Now she's happy :yahoo:

IMPOSTER! Someone find the real horrido109 quick :ninja:

9 hours ago, Horrido109 said:

The ACMI and AN/ALQ-188 pods turned out to be a bit more challenging. I acquired the Aires 1/32 AN/ALQ-188 but it turned out that it varies slightly to the one depicted in the picture. After considering all my options I decided to just go with it anyway. I know it is probably not the exact same version as I wanted but it is acceptable to me (that little artist licence we all need some time lol). This is where the purists may not agree ^_^

b-10.jpg

b-9.jpg

The ACMI pod is where all the fun started. I could not source one that I could use so I just scratch built my own one:

b-12.jpg

b-13.jpg

b-16.jpg

b-15.jpg

Harold from AMS Resin make a set that you can convert into many of them if you end up looking for one in the future. I used his as a starting point for my F-5E build if you want to see what they look like/include.

3 hours ago, Horrido109 said:

WARNING! :P

The following pictures I post may be a little controversial, but not intended to offend anyone by any means. After all, it is just plastic bits we glue together and paint right. But there is a history to it..

I am in possession of a photo where the pilot "communicated" in a somewhat "unfriendly manner" to somebody in the vicinity of his aircraft. I personally found the picture quite amusing, regardless of the pilot's slightly rude gesture. The problem is that I lost a bet where the stakes meant that I had to model my pilot in the same manner as the guy in my picture, if I were to lose. Well, I lost so I had to make him.. As mentioned earlier, I used the Tamiya pilot figure but obviously had to modify him ever so slightly :lol:  

I hope you like him and don't judge the poor fella..:P

a-48.jpg

With an updated/more accurate oxygen hose:

a-55.jpg

a-54.jpg

"Sorry, I hate it when it does that"...:D

Screenshot-19.png

Man that faceplate is a work of art! Awesome reflections 

7 hours ago, themongoose said:

Harold from AMS Resin make a set that you can convert into many of them if you end up looking for one in the future. I used his as a starting point for my F-5E build if you want to see what they look like/include.

7 hours ago, themongoose said:

Man that faceplate is a work of art! Awesome reflections 

Thank you Mongoose, I will definitely look into the AMS set. Will surely need another one at some point.

As far as the pilot's visor goes, there is no clear coat on there. It is literally only Mr Color gloss black, left to dry slightly and then covered with a few light coats of Mr Color levelling thinners misted on. It gives it an amazing gloss finish. Same technique I used with gloss white on the engine intake.

12.jpg

Edited by Horrido109