1/32 F-16 BDU scheme

Horrido109

Back end almost done: (weathering for the exhaust nozzle is left until almost the end of the build)

18.jpg

I used the stunning Reskit exhaust nozzle for this kit. It is an absolutely gorgeous piece of aftermarket kit for the F-16

16.jpg

17.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Horrido109

After fiddling with the gear I moved on to the cockpit. Initially I considered combining the Aires cockpit set with the Quinta set, but it turned out that the Quinta set doesn't fit the Aires panels well. My options were therefore Aires cockpit or kit cockpit with Quinta set. I decided that the kit cockpit with the Quinta set provided the best result and went for that option..

Removing the raised kit details:

a-1.jpg

Kit cockpit after Quinta addition:

a-23.jpg

a-26.jpg

a-5.jpg

To get a more realistic look I masked the black panels and instrument portions of the Quinta set and sprayed the grey areas to match the rest of the cockpit. This took a bit of time but proved very much worth the effort.

a-9.jpg

a-6.jpg

Edited by Horrido109

The seat was next..

Attempting to get a realistic sheep skin look:

a-3.jpg

I'll be adding the kit supplied pilot figure, hence the lack of added seat belts. Naturally (it's Tamiya :)), the kit pilot fits perfectly onto the kit seat..

I masked and painted this handle.. Quite happy how it came out:

a-12.jpg

a-16.jpg

a-21.jpg

a-38.jpg

Edited by Horrido109

44 minutes ago, themongoose said:

crisp & clean work on that seat!! man you must have a ton of time on that IP. looks worth the effort tho as the color difference usually detracts from the overall look.

Thank you very much Chris,

Yes, the masking took really long but I for one don't like it when the transition is very obvious with color difference. So the result is worth it. Most will probably not even notice :)  

Edited by Horrido109

Good day all,

I wanted to do this build in this exact configuration, but in order to do this I had to cross a few hurdles:

56.jpg

First, I had to correct the Tamiya AIM 120's to more accurately represent the practice missiles carried here. The included Tamiya missiles are the live ones but the practice 120's have a slightly less pointed/blunt nose:

b-1.jpg 

Done:

b-7.jpg

Similarly, the AIM 9 carried was a practice one. Other than the live missile, the practice missile has different fins that do not have the gyro ailerons at the tips but are essentially just flat plates. New fins were scratch built:

b-8.jpg

Fuel tanks done:

b-2.jpg

b-3.jpg

b-4.jpg

b-5.jpg

b-6.jpg

I only realised after looking at the pictures how bad the paint/thinners make my fingers look lol..:huh: 

My fiancè made me promise to at least post a picture or two to show that my hands are always clean...except when I paint.. So here goes: :clap2:

20220926-133231.jpg

20220926-133257.jpg

Now she's happy :yahoo:

Edited by Horrido109