Revell 1/32nd F/A-18E Super Hornet

tomprobert

Afternoon all,

I thought I'd have a bash as the relatively new Super Bug from Revell. 

Yes, I've heard all of the horror stories, but it can't be that bad, can it?

Work has begun on the main undercarriage bays and engine intake ducting - all given a generous covering of insignia white and a light wash to bring out, what is in my opinion, some lovely and fine detailing:

51149425360_334c18909f_b.jpg

The various formers were added to the bays and the forward and rear bulkheads needed a firm clamping to ensure everything stayed true whilst the glue set:

51149098144_0de57d6e10_b.jpg

What has become apparent quite early on is the fact that you need to follow the instructions to the letter, as some test fits have shown tolerances are very tight and the slightest misalignment will end in problems...

More updates as and when the mood takes.

Tom

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Indeed a great start, anxious to see the end result, and speaking of end result: does anyone know of this same spine-issue in the upcoming or already released  Revell two seater?

Jack

I don’t think it’s been released yet, but I’d be very surprised if they did anything to the spine.  However, the two seater canopy takes up more of the forward section of the spine, so it may less noticeable.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, Uncarina said:

Great start Tom! I’ve been curious about this kit. Have you seen these? https://spruebrothers.com/dxm21-3501-1-32-dxm-decals-f-18e-super-hornet-vfa-137-cag-2011/

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks for sharing, Tom - what a scheme. With the new VAT laws coming in sadly shipping to England looks out of the question - otherwise I’d have been tempted. 

23 hours ago, Dandiego said:

It does turn into a nice model. Mine is nearly complete, just some detailing of the seat left to do.

The missiles don't fit together very well.  And of course the too square hump behind the cockpit. Test fit the wings, they didn't want to line up for me.

Dan

Thanks for the heads up re. the missiles. I’m not too worried about the hump issue to be honest - I’ll build it as comes and just enjoy it. 

23 hours ago, Jack said:

Indeed a great start, anxious to see the end result, and speaking of end result: does anyone know of this same spine-issue in the upcoming or already released  Revell two seater?

Jack

As explained earlier the two seat cockpit extends much further back and therefore the hump will be far less of an issue - if at all. 

17 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

This has to be the smallest plane you've built in awhile Tom.  Looking forward to your build of it.

Matt 

Ha! Yes I think you’re right, Matt. If I fold the wings this may even fit on one of my shelves!

Ive been working on making the intakes as seamless as possible of late and doing some careful trimming of interior bulkheads in an attempt to avoid the worst of the well known fit issues. Test fits so far bode well - pictures soon. 

Tom

On 4/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, Jack said:

does anyone know of this same spine-issue in the upcoming or already released  Revell two seater?

Jack

It does, and it is noticeable sadly, you wonder how they made such a mistake, you can see the offending images on Hannants.

Nice work Tom.

21 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

It does, and it is noticeable sadly, you wonder how they made such a mistake, you can see the offending images on Hannants.

Right.....that's obvious, thanks Andy, hoped it wouldn't be the case but it sadly does.

hi Tom!

last year I had made the same adventure with a happy ending, see also 

but  the kit has its oddities, especially beware of the 2 mm height the Revell somehow lost between the inner structure and the outide shell.

I wish you lots of fun with building this kit!

hugo 

7 hours ago, Nick said:

Good luck Tom.  I just finished this kit.  It's a battle right to the end.  But the kit decals were quite nice.

Lots of hard graft and ‘fun’ to look forward to then? The decals do indeed look good - I think I’m going to go for the Vampires scheme but that may change!

4 hours ago, hpetiers said:

hi Tom!

last year I had made the same adventure with a happy ending, see also 

but  the kit has its oddities, especially beware of the 2 mm height the Revell somehow lost between the inner structure and the outide shell.

I wish you lots of fun with building this kit!

hugo 

I bookmarked your build, Hugo, for when I did mine and your tips and hints have been invaluable so far!

Afternoon all :)

Some decent progress in the Hornet this week which has focused on the lower fuselage and intakes. The feel of this build so far is akin to that of a limited-run kit; some parts fit really well and others need some careful filing and trimming, but it's nothing a builder with some experience can't handle - good old fashioned "modelling skills" come into play at times and 'this certainly ain't no Tamiya...'

The intake trunking has seen a bit of work done to get them seamless (more or less) as the engineering of the kit is a little strange and requires some awkward filling/sanding to get the forward-most parts of the intakes to fit to the inner sections. White Milliput and more insignia white has done the trick, and with the darkness in there any seams are invisible:

51156654550_ae37213b3a_b.jpg

A lower fuselage plate is then attached to the lower intake trunking, and this closes in the wheel bays to good effect - the fit here was found to be good. Side sections are then attached to this lower plate, boxing in the sides of the wheel bays and extending to the front of the intakes. The required a bit of careful dry-fitting and some more Milliput in the missile troughs but nothing approaching being a deal-breaker:

51156332464_fea23d75a9_b.jpg

51154881812_ef974024cc_b.jpg

On the upper sides, the instructions tell you to trim the arrowed bulkheads by 0.5mm, but I've hacked 2mm off as this seems to be figure needed seen in other reviews. Now when the fuselage top 'plate' is dry fitted, there are no gaps appearing where the top meets the side/bottom so I'm hoping the worst of the fit issues have been avoided. 

IMG_1394

According to the instructions the next job is going to buttoning the rear fuselage up and adding the wings. More soon!

Tom