New 1/35 crew seats/seat track pallet for KH HH-60G

Hawkwrench

All the current USAF HH-60G helicopters are now using the new Martin Baker crew seats for the SMA's or special mission aviators.

Kitty Hawk has done a great job in making the HH-60G kit, but currently there are no aftermarket seats or seat pallets available to represent the newer cabin setups used by AF HH-60G crews.

So I decided to scratchbuild the seat pallet (what the seat attaches to and slides on) and eventually the new crew seat. 

Here's what the current cabin layout looks like

20210430_040338

So tonight I started scratchbuilding the seat pallet first. The base is a grey piece of .020 sheet styrene. I chose the color grey so the slide lines would be more visible as I built it.

On top of the grey sheet, I used various sizes of .010 white styrene to create the seat pallet. 

Here's my progress so far. 

20210430_035543

And here it is placed in the correct position in the cabin of the KH floor. 

20210430_040939

I'll finish the floor up tomorrow night. 

Comments and critiques welcome!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

Pete  No, just creating this set in hopes some aftermarket company wants it.

I've noticed quite a few helo modelers wishing someone would release the current seats, so I thought I could help fill the need.

Hope my work can satisfy there request.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• 1 month later...

I've been working on scratchbuilding the seat back of the new style crew seats. I plan on making the seat bottom so that it can be posed in the up or down position. 
Anyhoo, here's the progress so far.

20210620_004558

And a little teaser pic with the seat placed on the seat pallet.

20210620_005442

The pallet is about 80% complete. I just need to add the PE screw heads to the floor.

That's all for now  

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

Interesting build Tim.  On the real thing, is that base plate armored or just a mounting platform for the seats?    Has the Army ever upgraded their CE seats or are they still flying the originals?

John, all the M models and the HH med birds all have the new style seats. I'm not sure if the panel is armored, but I'll find out for ya.

EDIT: John, I checked with my HH-60G crew chief friend and he told me that yes they are armored.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• Hawkwrench changed the title to New 1/35 crew seats/seat track pallet for KH HH-60G-- Seat Pallet Complete!

Next up for detail is the inertia reel lock/unlock lever. I simulated that by using a small piece of 020 styrene sanded to shape and the lever was a piece of leftover PE from the Academy H-60 set. The wire is .015 lead wire.

Here's the real deal:

FB_IMG_1505908509059

And here's my detail:

20210620_224241

Close enough for me.

Comments welcome!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

The last work for tonight was the seat back area. 

I started the seat back by using 2 part Apoxie sculpt and then sculpted the shape of the back. 
I just need to let it dry, so I can sand the fingerprints out of the clay. 
I made the back cover the same way and punched out .8 mm discs from styrene to represent the snaps on the back and threw in some wrinkles using a needle chucked in a pin vise.

Front

20210621_031000

Back

20210621_030923

That's it till next weekend.

Tim

• Hawkwrench changed the title to New 1/35 crew seats/seat track pallet for KH HH-60G-- Seat back detail

Tonight I started on the seat bottom after I finally found the right size wire for the headrest. That took a while, but I think it looks close enough.
Still needs the cushion though which I'll make from Apoxie Sculpt tomorrow night. 

20210627_011737

Chow for now!

Tim