Tamiya 1/32 F-4C 54th TFTW 1976 Bicentennial DONE

oppenheimer

Finally managed to get some time to sit in front of the Phantom, both inlets are in place, the fit all around went smoothly, i am not braking my brain trying to fix the engine inlets inner side, i will go with engine inlet cover , this will make my life easier and will not waist time on this part

_MG_7574.jpg

_MG_7575.jpg

There isn't a resin cockpit in 1/32 for the F-4C on the market, so i got a cockpit for the J and i will do some surgery and turn it into a C cockpit, will use pieces from the kit cockpit and remove or modify some parts of the resin cockpit, so far this is what i got, i have to remove all the switches and intruments from the side consoles in the front section

_MG_7577.jpg

_MG_7578.jpg

12 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Love that tonal variation.

Sincerely,

Mark

Yes me too.  Adds a real life to a model

Your work on your Phantom is an inspiration for me to keep going.  I can see this is going to be a masterpiece!  Beautiful work so far, thanks for the update, I have been waiting for this!

Cheers Anthony

it has been a nightmare to receive my 3d panels for the cockpit from Red fox Studio, i am still waiting, max 2 more weeks of waiting, meanwhile i am painting small bits of the model.

i am testing the wolfpack exhausts, they look much better than the ones from the kit

_MG_7629.jpg

also i painted the two elevators to test the approach on the subtle weathering it will have

_MG_7634.jpg

Landing gear are ready too

_MG_7633.jpg

_MG_7631.jpg

here is a general look of the small pieces finished, including the external tanks

_MG_7632.jpg

Great work!   I just purchased the same kit and will be starting it in a few months.   I'm a bit intimidated by the SEA camouflage,  your elevators look fantastic.   What are you using for paint and did you mask off the borders or freehand it with an airbrush?   

13 hours ago, John1 said:

Great work!   I just purchased the same kit and will be starting it in a few months.   I'm a bit intimidated by the SEA camouflage,  your elevators look fantastic.   What are you using for paint and did you mask off the borders or freehand it with an airbrush?   

i am using MRP paints, and i use blue tack to mask the camouflage borders, to be honest i suck on freehand camos, it is more tedious using the masks but at the end you get a nicer and smoother border

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Amazing painting and weathering, Jorge!

Kev

thanks Kev

as for today, i removed the red circles in the auxiliary tanks, they were placed in the wrong place, i made a new filler point where it should be on the top of the tank, tamiya missed that in the plastic

Edited by oppenheimer

I decided to start working on the camouflage on the fuselage even if it not close and the cockpit is missing

1 I start with any brown or green that looks kind of faded by the sun to draw a raw pattern, later it will be refined with blue tack

_MG_7636.jpg

2 then y do some spots of different color on top

_MG_7637.jpg

3 I add some preshading on some panel lines

_MG_7638.jpg

i started on blending all the paint to see how it looks, this Phantom will have a subtle weathered paint because i am going after a Bicentennial scheme on this one, sothey are most of the time in pristine conditions.

_MG_7646.jpg

_MG_7647.jpg

this is the scheme i am trying to replicate

11_fs.jpg

Edited by oppenheimer

What did you use for the dabs of painted you added to the fuselage?  How did you blend them in?   The effect is really nice.    I'll be building the same kit in the future, taking lots of notes from your build.