Matchbox 1/72 (completely imaginary DHC-6 800 stretched twin otter)

chrish

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

I'm feeling the need to join this "What to do with a Twin Otter GB ".....

Interestingly the Twin Otter was one of if not the most popular Builds in the BM Matchbox 50th GB. and that is saying something as EVERY original Matchbox Kit was accounted for as a Build Thread in the GB.  Two people even built two Twin Otters in the GB! 

Initially when I didn't have enough parts for Engines Three and Four I joked I was going to steal Engines out of another Kit and then reengine that kit with small Turbofans a la a Do328JET!  Luckily I had the Prop Face/Turbine Intake parts and the Upper Wing parts and used these with Tube and Styrene Sheet to make them the Inboard Engines and Undercarriage Bays for the Dash7/8 style Dual Wheel Undercarriages rather than the Tandem Wheel Undercarriages of the 1967 Concept. 

Ok ...........so my entry in the entirely fictional “what can you do with a Twin Otter?? GB” is the entirely fictional …

DHC -6Z “Twinned Twin Otter”, “Double Otter”…or “Treble Otter” depending on different sources.

De Havilland Canada, wishing to capitalise on the increased demand for light aircraft to assist in the Vietnam Coin War, developed a twin fuselage Twin Otter in 1967-8, as a quick way of using existing tooling to produce a new aircraft.

First flight taking place on March 24 1968, the aircraft benefited with increased power with the third engine, and although payload only increased by a small amount (from two, to two and a half tons) the load volume doubled, making it more suitable for bulky loads or an increased passenger capacity. Test Pilot “Red” Green advised that “she handled like a doozey but required more duct tape”

It was then shown to the US Navy, USAF and Marines …all of whom showed no interest in the design as it offered little advantages over the Sikorski S61 helicopter, either in terms of speed, range or payload. Neither was the aircraft rugged enough for any ground attack role or covert role.

Hastily re painted in an attempt to sell it to the Canadian Navy, this also failed for the same reasons, the aircraft having little to offer, other than complexity, over the existing single fuselage design.

DHC gave up any further development on the Double Otter shortly thereafter, focusing on the more promising DHC4 Caribou development- the DHC5 Buffalo, for military sales.

The only prototype was sold at auction in 1974, and after a series of owners, ended up sinking on Lake Wobegon, Minnesota, in December 1979 after breaking from its mooring in bad weather. No attempt at retrieval was made.

The 1983 ex Matchbox kit ....in my opinion , is a junker, mediocre fit , not great detail ,etc , but then I don't do 1/72 scale at all . This was just for a bit of fun . 

IMG-0708.jpg

IMG-0710.jpg

IMG-0711.jpg

IMG-0712.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble