1/32 USAAF Spitfire Roundels??

Aviacom

Hi,

Could someone please confirm the correct size of USAAF insignia on the Spifire Vb’s of the 4th FG please?

Namely - Don Gentile’s MD*T.

The national insignia was without the bars. I just need the fuselage and wing insignia sizes confirming please?

Thanks

Don't know the exact dimensions to help you out as not my area of knowledge, but a quick Google search, eg: "Don Gentiles Spitfire Mk Vb MDT markings", shows an out of production Aeromaster, The Eagle Squadron, decal sheet with Gentiles mount, MD*T which also has RAF roundels included to compare sizes. The sheet number is 48-364(A/B). Hope this is of some help to you. The same Google search brings up mad pics, models, profiles also.

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

I built a Hobbyboss kit as the same subject years ago

I made the following notes on the markings.

The markings in the Montex Masks show the aircraft (BL255) as it looked in August 1942, with it's RAF markings painted out and replaced with plain blue and white USAAF star cocardes, the Ventura American Spitfires Camouflage and Markings tells me that the yellow surround was ordered to be added to the markings in October 1942 so Montex appear to have got it right.

Both upper wings will require Dark Green discs to show where the upper wing 56 red and blue roundels were painted out. These work out to 44 mm the replacement US star is 36mm.

On the undersides of the port wing a fresh MSG disc needs to be painted, the RAF roundel would have been 32” which equates to 812 mm so at 1/32 scale this will be 25 mm. On the starboard side the US marking is 36mm so an outline is not necessary.

The fuselage star masks have a green outline built into the mask.

The fin flash will require a Dark Green patch on one side and an Ocean Grey one on the other side, the fin flash was 24” x 24” in 1/32 scale 19 mm.

Before I can paint the markings on I will have to "paint out" the RAF markings, the fuselage masks incorporate a Dark Green outline so they are do not require any attention, but the Port Underside roundel will need to be "painted out" as will the fin flashes. As this happened in August 1942 I went with 24" x 24" (19 x 19 mm) fin flashes and a 32" (25 mm) under wing roundel, I could be wrong but there are no photos of the aircraft to prove it either way.

For the fin flashes I could have used Ocean Grey or Dark green to paint them out but I went for Ocean Grey, in hindsight the Dark Green would have been better, for the under wing roundel I used a new tin of Medium Sea Grey which certainly contrasted with my faded finish, I will have to have a good look at it in daylight to check that it is OK.

Another small step on the way, I "painted out" the upper wing roundels (56” or 44mmin 1/32), ready for the USAAF markings, I used fresh Dark Green on this as I had faded the original Dark Green, hopefully this will give me some contrast

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Just noticed that I did not mention the fuselage roundels, the Montex masks were 25 mm (with yellow outline painted out in green) and the decal that I used after I messed up was 26/27 mm.

The decals were from Super Scale Spitfire Mk IX USAAF desert decals.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Added name of decals used