F 4 C/D : which AM stuffs

alain11

I've just finished mine and it's not a good kit. Poor fit issues and poor engineering - it's the only 1/32 tamiya kit I've built and I questioned the poor quality on an earlier post as everyone raves about Tamiya.  Biggest issues (ignoring the fit issues) are the intakes which have a big gap that's difficult to hide and lots of what I think are raised battle damage plates added to whatever real plane Tamiya looked at and included thinking they were part of the airframe I assume. I also think the nozzles are too small. My kit was old so the decals just feel apart. The build was so bad that it's my first kit in a very long time that I just wanted to end the build and didn't really finish it off properly. It now sits at the back of my shelf half out of view which is where it will stay.   Can't wait to pick up a special hobby or trumpeter kit but I haven't had the heart to touch the workbench since.

Sorry I sound negative - it was really disappointing given the Tamiya hype. 

You’ll probably at least want seamless intakes or intake covers due to the parts breakdown leaving a large step inside of the intake.  Also, depending on your loadout, some new weapons.  The AIM-9s, at least need to replaced.  They sort of represent AIM-9Es, but aren’t quite right.  New wheels, if you don’t want to deal with the vinyl tires.  The cockpit is generally OK, except for the lack of sidewall detail.  I’m waiting for the Quinta Studio set to come out.  Seats are OK, but need belts, unless you add pilots, or just replace with aftermarket seats.  The Eduard interior set has some nice details for the cockpit sills and canopy frames.

The exhausts of the C/D are not underscaled whereas the J and E ones are too small.

Tons of elements were released to improve or detail close to all areas: nose radar, cockpit tubs, panels and seats, canopies and locking hooks, belly engine air intakes, wheels, air intakes and variramps, tail front intake, exhausts, arresting hook, pods and weapons, etc.etc.

hi 

thank you for the feedbacks , now , I know what to do  . My aim is to build a "decent" F 4 , I think that a nice cockpit with good details , as well a nice seat ......and canopy , is essential ( an inquisitive eye is always ...attracted by details inside :coolio:.......and I like these tiny details ) . I think I should have to remove the raised panels on the fuselage , add cables and wires on the gear legs .. and take care about the building of the kit .. no weapons , only drop tanks......I am tempted ( for years now ) by this unusual paint scheme ..... I have an old " microscale " decal sheet ( 48249) that will help me for the markings ...... BTW : any idea about the cammo colors ?? " microscale says " light compass grey ,and light grey ?????? 

Alain

photo from pinterest..... different AC were painted in this two shades of grey , with different schemes  though 

F-4C+64-0852+122TFS+Luke+AFB+03-83++001b

I have GT Resin jetcans for my long-time in progress F-4C, which are chunkier than the kit nozzles and look great; and will shortly get the Aerocraft clear resin canopy set, which will make for a much neater canopy finish. Eduard instrument panels also add a lot, as the F-4 featured black instrument bezels on a grey panel which are very difficult to paint satisfactorily. Quinta are also making some as resin-on-decal. 

Techmod makes a sheet which features some variations on the AFRes/ANG "Cloud" scheme, and may have more on the colours (though not Louisiana Guard: Bergstrom, Texas and Homestead, Florida AFRes)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/techmod-32033a-f-4d-phantom-ii--210524

Generally, apart from reworking the inlets, I've added scrap plastic between the wing halves to avoid them "popping" open at the leading edge if the wing is compressed during handling, and fit around the tail requires dry fitting and "persuasion".

Tony

Edited by Tony T
add link

I was stationed at Kadena when the 32nd F-4C/D came out...I think I bought 3 right away! I built one 

as a Michigan ANG in the ADC gray with that wild nose art they carried. I put intake covers on the intake

to fix that problem. I still have it on the shelf and it still looks good. My next one is gonna be the 147th 

FIS that flew out of Ellington at Houston with the Texas flag on the tail (need a F-101 to go with it). Have 2 

32nd RF-4C's...one will be inflight in the early gray over white (Thanks Jennings) and the other I'd like to 

do as a RF-4E and several Revell E and G models. Lots of GT resin aftermarket for both Tamiya/Revell...

have 2 sets of Aerocraft canopy sets...need some brass landing gear for the Revell kits! Also have a 

Tamiya J...are they perfect...no...but...it's a Phantom II and when built and it's on the shelf it's a representation

of a badass fighter that was the backbone of the USAF and I believe 12 other air forces around the world. 

It was an awesome sight to watch a flight of four to depart in burner! 

Cheers....Ron

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

Techmod makes a sheet which features some variations on the AFRes/ANG "Cloud" scheme, and may have more on the colours (though not Louisiana Guard: Bergstrom, Texas and Homestead, Florida AFRes)

I used this set for my build, found them to be really good but no stencils.

I have the "Techmod " decals , and I agree there are a couple of sexy paint scheme , especially the Texas ANG .....I will take a look at the "Aerocraft " canopy set , and I will put some FOD covers in order to hide the miseries , that will bring a nice touch of color  

you mentioned the GT resin set , I "ve read that the cast are............... " rough " :hmmm: ??????????????????????

Alain

1 hour ago, alain11 said:

I have the "Techmod " decals , and I agree there are a couple of sexy paint scheme , especially the Texas ANG .....I will take a look at the "Aerocraft " canopy set , and I will put some FOD covers in order to hide the miseries , that will bring a nice touch of color  

you mentioned the GT resin set , I "ve read that the cast are............... " rough " :hmmm: ??????????????????????

Alain

The G T stuff can lack, er, finesse at times. QMT and ResKit (very soon) make or are making jetcans for the RF/F-4 Revell kits which look excellent. I bought a set of QMT long cans for the Revell to use on a Tamiya F-4E and they are the right size. A bit of tweaking but nothing serious.

Tony

Hi Alain 

So you are doing a Phantom. Great! I can't wait to see you do the painting and finishing on an F-4.

Three more things apart from those mentioned which are known errors but which are easy to fix are:

Outer wing panels should have 12 deg dihedral. The kit has way too much dihedral on these panels. 

The rear bulkhead in the cockpit should be vertical. I don't think any AM cockpit has this right.

The outer wing pylons need to be moved inwards.

Rear Cockpit should look something like this.

98-CFFE59-F51-C-40-BE-AD73-1-FEB759-B1-F

New position of the outer wing pylons

B6-CB4-CFD-DA98-464-B-BCFC-CC404-F8-A553

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick

thank you for the infos , I take notes . I have already the old resin cockpit from verlinden , I will take a look if , and how I will fix the rear bulkhead . for now , I'm clearing the way , The phantom is a big stuff , I have to make room on my shelves :doh:...

so , are you working on a Phantom too    

Alain

1 hour ago, alain11 said:

Hi Nick

thank you for the infos , I take notes . I have already the old resin cockpit from verlinden , I will take a look if , and how I will fix the rear bulkhead . for now , I'm clearing the way , The phantom is a big stuff , I have to make room on my shelves :doh:...

so , are you working on a Phantom too    

Alain

Yes and no. I want to do Robin Olds's aircraft during operation Bolo but need some AM stuff to continue. With the current postage situation( 250 more post offices are closing in the country) I will only resume this build in a year's time at the earliest.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

40 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Yes and no. I want to do Robin Olds's aircraft during operation Bolo but need some AM stuff to continue. With the current postage situation( 250 more post offices are closing in the country) I will only resume this build in a year's time at the earliest.

Nick

Which AM ? that could help me