1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

Another stunning build, Chuck.  I've followed from the beginning but without much comment.  'The flaws are minimal.'  We are always our own worst critic.  Your patience and dedication to the craft are beyond words.  I wish I had half the 'game' you have.  I look forward to your full spread of photos.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us...again.  Take a breather and enjoy the top down weather.  Not sure if your little roadster is out yet but the Mustang will be coming out shortly.

Enjoy your summer and I await your next project.

Take care and stay safe, Chuck.

Mike

Thanks Guys!

10 hours ago, ax365 said:

Another stunning build, Chuck.  I've followed from the beginning but without much comment.  'The flaws are minimal.'  We are always our own worst critic.  Your patience and dedication to the craft are beyond words.  I wish I had half the 'game' you have.  I look forward to your full spread of photos.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us...again.  Take a breather and enjoy the top down weather.  Not sure if your little roadster is out yet but the Mustang will be coming out shortly.

Enjoy your summer and I await your next project.

Take care and stay safe, Chuck.

Mike

Thank you so much Mike.  Your kind words mean a lot!

On 4/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, scvrobeson said:

Took you less time than expected, given the complexity of the kit. All of the time and effort definitely has paid off, it's a beautiful build Chuck.  Now, size-wise, where does this rank among your other completed builds?

Matt 

Thanks.  How about this pic, next to a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire?  ;)

619vNG.jpg

As mentioned, I'm now DONE and took a few pics today, which are now in the RFI forum here:

1/24 Airfix Hellcat, Kicked Up A Notch

Now a few more selected pics to close out this build thread....

aLqccw.jpg

COroo4.jpg

dAQukW.jpg

PphCho.jpg

ujEDev.jpg

sy5FoD.jpg

sTWO8J.jpg

SlYxN7.jpg

P8m5dK.jpg

ScPWiP.jpg

25NWhn.jpg

zXIHes.jpg

Hellcat wheels actually toe in a bit...

n7vOXh.jpg

BY58Jr.jpg

n7Byc9.jpg

TUu3X7.jpg

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement, tips, and info to make this build so much fun.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" Apr 12/22: Finished!

Another fabulous LSP, Chuck!  In particular I think that you really rose to the challenge of making the whole model visually engaging, which I have always feared would be difficult with a late model Hellcat due to that over-everything dark blue color scheme.  Kudos, enjoy the brief Canadian summer ;-) and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's looking forward to seeing what you will build next!

Thank you everyone for your kind, supportive and funny replies.  :lol:

I have to admit, however, that this model was a struggle the last few months, mostly because I was just getting tired of it and wanted to get on with something new.  I could have rushed the ending I suppose, but I've learned the hard way that this is a very bad idea.  You can flush 10 months of good work down the drain with 1 month of so-so finishing touches, so I soldiered on and tried to give the ending the same attention to detail as I did at the beginning of the build.  It seems to have worked very well and I am very happy with the final result.

As some of you know, I always follow a prop build with a jet and I'm looking for ideas.  I've made two F-4's, two F-14's, two F-18's, an F-15 & F-16, an A-10, a CF-104 and an F-5 so far and I'm not inclined to build any of those subjects any time soon, although an F-16 Adversary has a chance, since I have the coveted Tamiya Thunderbirds kit and lots of decals.  I don't have an F-86 Sabre yet and with a bare metal finish, I think I'd like to go nuts with literally thousands of HGW decal rivets that I used on my CF-104 model, that turned out looking fairly accurate.  Any other ideas?  Although I won't likely be modelling steady again until the fall, I like to plan early with the purchase of the kit and aftermarket enhancements, along with lots on research on my new subject.

Thanks,

Chuck