1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

How about a flying preserved aircraft? The cockpit is going to be pretty tidy - it's inevitable that it's going to get scuffed about a bit

Mind you, you'd have to fit a modern radio, lose the guns....

An alternative would be a newly delivered aircraft. It's been flown to a squadron, so it has some hours on it and a lightly used look but not beaten to death. There must be some point in the life cycle of a 'plane that will suit you

Richard

Dear Chuck

Considering the casting of votes so far, at least it's crystal clear which path you would have to follow, if you wanted to "get off the beaten track" a little... ;-)

I can't wait to see further progress on this bird, anyway.

Cheers, Joerg

4 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Slightly weathered it is guys!  Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Chuck

sigh of relief here :)

..I love warbirds and am glad we have them. However, while they are viable as models as they are aeroplanes and we do model reality as best we can, there is something of a turn off when I see it attempted..

..others mileage may vary..

Peter

5 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Cheers,

Chuck

I think this is the right choice.  The F6F was a carrier plane, and so did not get nearly as beat up as aircraft operating from land bases.  Plus, since this is a -5 variant, your plane would not have been delivered to its air group until some time in 1944 - so you are inevitably modeling it at some point during a pretty brief career, even if it was one of the ~50% of them that made it intact all the way to the end of the war.  I’ve never seen a photo of an F6F-5 that looked anywhere even close to as beat up as, for instance, the Marine F4F-3s that operated from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal.

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Cheers,

Chuck

Phew!  I think you might run into the risk of it looking a little 'toy like' in 24th scale even with your superior skills if you had done a warbird.

Good call!