1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

That IP looks awesome.  Been driving a lot in my new truck to see my in-laws and parents.  Enjoying a tad of Freedom with my wife and I having our shots taken care of and being so so tired of being locked up.  I need to get out and see some family my peeps!  

Lovely work going on here Chuck, as always.  All the best to you and the family!  

Thank you everyone!  Another thing I should have mentioned is that the Airscale IP also comes with the side panels, which I think will really look great once I've painted everything and added several placard and instrument decals.

1 hour ago, Hawkwrench said:

Man that IP looks top notch Chuck!!!

Where did you get all your assorted lead wire sizes from?

Tim

Hi Tim and thanks.  I bought a set of lead wires from 0.2mm all the way up to 1.0mm from UMM USA, once of my favorite hobby stores.  They can be a bit expensive this way, but I use so little of the wire each model that they last a long time.  However, I understand that fly fishing shops sell this wire a lot cheaper, so you might give that "angle" a try. ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

On 4/30/2021 at 2:21 AM, Maw1963 said:

Ciao Chuck,

Ciao to everybody.

I would like to thank you Chuck for your invitation and what to say, an honor to be here, Sir.

I started a building thread of Airfix Hellcat, fall 2019, and falling in love with this amazing kit, I soon realized that it deserved more attention and it made to flash the idea of 3D printed parts, the projetc began on July 2020 due to Coivid boring situazion in Italy, and when I read that Chuck was to start this building I thought: he is the right guy.

Chuck is a Master in this hobby, not only for his ability and his peculiar educational approach, but also for his kindness and disponibility even with unknown people and I am a witness of this. His semplicity is the feature of real Masters. Being a pioneer he is not scared with news and always ready for something to try. So thank you Chuck for all.

I really don't want to highjack this thread so  we (as we are a three-man, read fellows, company) opened a new topic in the Vendors forum, maybe still in moderation actually and if someone is interested at our work can go there without intefere with this topic. For Hellcat related questions or curiosity about our work for it, if Chuck agrees, I am available.

Thank you for your attention.

Ciao

Giovanni

Just an anticipation of our projects: H-34 Choctaw

51148606829_84dd910920_b.jpg

Good looking conversion for the h 34.

What scale is that for?

I produced one for the Fly model from the wessex but i see yours will have open cowlings option.

Peter does some awesome work with that instrument panel, and those Adriatic parts sure look like an extra layer of detail to the kit.  The Airfix base is really nice, but as always, you're taking it to the next level Chuck.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Matt 

Thanks again guys! 

I have most of the cockpit painted and have added many placard and gauge decals from both Airscale and the kit.  I am very impressed with the kit decals so far (2 kits in a row!) and the Airscale ones add a bunch more missing from the kit.  On a combined basis with the Airscale PE and Adriatic resin, I think this is going to look killer when finished.  Fingers crossed.

Next will be the addition and replacement of many handles and switches, but I'm now at a bit of a crossroads.  Do I build a well used fighter that was seeing lots of action in WWII, or a restored Warbird that is pretty clean today?  Both versions are tempting, but I need to decide soon before I weather the cockpit- or hardly at all.  Without a subject so far, I welcome any ideas that you may have, to motivate me to try and replicate same.  Once I decide, I should have some pics to show soon.

Cheers,

Chuck

4 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Do I build a well used fighter that was seeing lots of action in WWII, or a restored Warbird that is pretty clean today?  Both versions are tempting, but I need to decide soon before I weather the cockpit- or hardly at all. 

Always an easy decision for me.  Screw-ups and repairs are better hidden in a war weary cockpit!

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" May 7/21: Weathered or Pristine?

Hmmmm, personally I would go for the original ’In Service’ look myself. To me they have a character and look to them that pristine warbirds don’t share. The grey sooty exhaust stains down the side with fluid leaks and scuff marks running down has a character about it.

Just my humble opinion