1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

On 4/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Adriatic resin

Hi Chuck, if I can ask about Adriatic resin is this a "New" aftermarket company?  I like the items he has done for the Hellcat and would like to get some of those bits for my build. (Eventually) :)

41 minutes ago, Michael931080 said:

Hi Chuck, if I can ask about Adriatic resin is this a "New" aftermarket company?  I like the items he has done for the Hellcat and would like to get some of those bits for my build. (Eventually) :)

Me too!

Man this is going to be fun to watch.  Especially with a subject so central to my favorite (PTO) WW2 subject matter.  It looks like a really nice kit, and a wonderful selection of AM to juice it up with!  I just need to keep reminding myself that I do warbirds in *1:32* and so I should resist the temptation to immediately order one of these...

Thanks Guys.

As for Adriatic Models Resin, I can't really say what is in store once they get a website going, other than to say again that the quality is outstanding.  Being one of the first to use their products, they don't have any real instructions yet, other than screen shots of the Hellcat F6F Erection and Maintenance Manual, which I use as a guide and then try and find the right part in the large selection of resin they sent me.  Some parts were fairly straight forward, some were a little tricky to figure out, while I still have lots of parts where I can't find a home for them.  Having said that, Giovanni who kindly sent me all this stuff, has let me know that some of these parts are meant for the engine area and they are working on many more, like a corrected cowling that I just saw a prototype of today.  I have no idea what's wrong with the kit one, but I'm sure I'm about to find out!

Edit:  Giovanni will soon participate in this build thread so that you guys can ask him questions directly.  Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

April 28/21

Short Update, but I think an important one- and I’m feeling a little pressure.  I got a hold of Giovanni and he will be contributing to this thread a bit later, maybe on the weekend, and I want to complete a few things before he does.  With all this free resin I want to do a good job with it before "the boss" shows up!  :)  He is working on their new website and like everyone else, has a real job, so he is tight for time right now.

With most of the new resin parts figured out, it was time to re-wire the back bulkhead.  The kit bulkhead has wiring, but like any molded wiring, it looks too perfect and artificial, so this resin part is a clean slate to add your own.  Although time consuming, this was easy to do with lead wire and bits of strip PE to act as fastener straps.  This wiring isn't perfectly accurate by any means, partly because the surrounding parts are not always to scale and I didn't want wiring to get in the way of the side consoles.

The new resin Landing Gear Emergency Valve was also glued into place, because it required a shim underneath to hold it in place, which is easier done now than after paint.  Archer decal rivets were also added after sanding the resin smooth, with a few missing on the sides where they collide with the side cockpit consoles.

MqXlBs.jpg

With the kit oxygen bottle and wiring cover dry fit.  Note that I cut a hole on the bottom of the cover for the additional small lines that come out the bottom and over to the side wall.

oIWk3y.jpg

Everything dry fit to the starboard fuselage and instruments, where I added additional wiring and switches that were removed from the kit parts, by drilling small holes and inserting small bits of wire, glued from the bottom.  According to the Airscale instructions, I should have inserted instrument decals between the PE and kit parts first after painting, but I didn’t want to risk getting glue on anything after paint.  I will add individual gauges later after painting, which is easier for me to do by personal preference only.

ekA78Y.jpg

I glued the lattice-like console part E17 to the fuselage wall, and the corresponding Part E24 on the port side wall, because they don’t fit very well without plastic glue to hold them in place.  If they were glued on after paint, they would be tricky to do without glue showing, so it’s better to get this step over with now when you can easily cleanup any mess.  I’m glad I did, because E17 needed a bit of trimming with a knife to get the main assembly E21 to fit over it snugly without leaving gaps, which is only dry fit until after paint.  Having added wire switches to the top already, placement of the Airscale decal over them will be a very delicate procedure, but I think I have a good idea of how to do it.

MQuuQd.jpg

With the cockpit bottom dry fit, to ensure alignment of the back wall wiring with that on the floor, which I’m going to leave alone because it’s “good enough” for me, especially on the floor.  I had to cut off one of the hoses on Part D38 and use a replacement one made of lead, to get over the new wiring.  I was going to drill out the holes in the floor cross members, but you can't see any of it from above, especially with the seat installed, so I skipped it as a waste of time.

fTQBG9.jpg

Next up, the other port side.  Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" Apr 28/21: Cockpit Wiring Begins

Ciao Chuck,

Ciao to everybody.

I would like to thank you Chuck for your invitation and what to say, an honor to be here, Sir.

I started a building thread of Airfix Hellcat, fall 2019, and falling in love with this amazing kit, I soon realized that it deserved more attention and it made to flash the idea of 3D printed parts, the projetc began on July 2020 due to Coivid boring situazion in Italy, and when I read that Chuck was to start this building I thought: he is the right guy.

Chuck is a Master in this hobby, not only for his ability and his peculiar educational approach, but also for his kindness and disponibility even with unknown people and I am a witness of this. His semplicity is the feature of real Masters. Being a pioneer he is not scared with news and always ready for something to try. So thank you Chuck for all.

I really don't want to highjack this thread so  we (as we are a three-man, read fellows, company) opened a new topic in the Vendors forum, maybe still in moderation actually and if someone is interested at our work can go there without intefere with this topic. For Hellcat related questions or curiosity about our work for it, if Chuck agrees, I am available.

Thank you for your attention.

Ciao

Giovanni

Just an anticipation of our projects: H-34 Choctaw

51148606829_84dd910920_b.jpg

Edited by Maw1963

If anybody has questions about the Adriatic resin for this Hellcat kit, please feel free to ask them here and maybe Giovanni can help us out.

May 3/21

A little wiring and added detail to the Port side now.  Although there are lots of wires going all over the place, you can’t see much of it from above with the shelf-like console covering most of it.  With all the new Adriatic resin and kit parts, I think it’s busy enough and painting all this is going to be a real challenge as it is.  Everything is dry fitted, using liquid mask as a glue when required.

cjnEQg.jpg

I did add some wiring to a gizmo at the lower rear which I think is a wing flap control, as well as tubing conduits coming from the floor to under the throttle control as per references.  Since you can't see any of the lightening holes or pin marks in the floor from the top, I left them as is.

Mr6db7.jpg

Another angle, that shows how finely detailed the Adriatic resin throttle control is.

kjridx.jpg

With the instrument panel dry fit, you can't see much of the frontal area anyway,

OTxTC5.jpg

As shown and mentioned earlier, I have the fantastic Airscale IP that Peter wouldn’t let me pay for, so I better do a good job!   Never one to follow directions, I attached it to clear part R3 (after sanding it down) as well as the glare shield, Part E43 for ease of handling and painting.  The small IP on the right side was similarly glued to clear Part R2.

ExaY0d.jpg

I then sprayed everything with Tamiya X-22 as a metal primer, followed by gloss black lacquer and when I was happy with how things looked, I knocked down the shine with a dull coat.  Why not just use flat black instead?  I think a gloss finish with dull coat gives a much smoother finish than any flat paint, which is rough to begin with.  Decals were then applied and the acetate “lenses” were cut from a supplied sheet earlier.

C5zRbF.jpg

In order to glue everything together and not make a mess, I used Micro Kristal Klear to bond the acetate to the decal, then the gauge surrounds to the acetate, wiping up any excess with a microbrush.  This will leave a bit of a cloudy appearance to the gauges, but after a few hours of drying, everything looks nice and clear again.

YDkaDS.jpg

Some close-ups.  Note that while the gunsight is glued in place, the glass on the top is only dry fit until the instrument panel is installed permanently, to avoid breakage or loss.  The square handle on the left is the Landing Gear Control lever, where I used an Adriatic resin replacement.

CHJfKM.jpg

Pure precision, pure Airscale, pure Peter Castle!

j0nwtX.jpg

Next up is cockpit painting, which should be quite a challenge with all the parts in a variety of colors, followed by several instrument decals and switches.  This could take a while!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" May 4/21: Airscale Instrument Panel

Chuck

We all know what to expect from you.. quality top to bottom..well thought out planning and dead nuts execution. Adding Peter's products to the mix puts the detail in the details.

Masterfully crafted ole boy...more please..much much more

Best

Geoff

that Instrument Panel looks amazing Chuck! superb!

It's funny when I sit there designing parts for our sets, I try and get in the mind of the modeller and think what would I want this to look like, how would I want this to assemble, what would be straightforward and what would be challenging, and most importantly does this look like the original

..when I see the output in hands like yours, it makes all that thinking, designing and production time so worthwhile - gifting a set like this is a return on investment for me as I get the tingling feeling seeing what could be done and whether the effort that went into it really does realise the goals I had

in your case it does in spades and I want to thank you for it :)

Peter