1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Something like this?

Image 4 - Grumman F6F Hellcat WW2 1940's archived manuals Carrier Fighter P&W R-2800

Found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373711811219?hash=item5702f5b293:g:-pUAAOSwlY5bsNpg

Sincerely,

Mark

Note the overflow drain beneath the oil filler cap.  Very nifty detail.  I think “Hydraulic lines” may be a misnomer and maybe you shouldn’t think of them as such.  On this airplane, everything between the face of the firewall and the motor is going to be either electrical, oil lines, gas lines or mechanical linkage rods.  Also, now that you are retired, I think you’re going to find that you will have much less free time than before.  People who think retired folks sit around watching afternoon TV while guzzling beer or whatever have yet to be “retired.”

Congratulations on the retirement Chuck. It has to be both liberating and a little scary.

The oil and gas industry here in Alberta has definitely changed over the last few years as you mentioned. Good time to get out. 

Although you no longer have the work commitments I’m sure you will keep busy. Hopefully not so busy you can’t find the time to amaze us with your incredible builds and always educational postings you give us.

Keep up the great work,

Chris

Thanks everyone!

As for the "exploded parts" diagrams, spartacus2000 was kind enough to send me a bunch already which is certainly better than nothing, but there's nothing better than a pic of the real deal to get a better idea of where everything goes and the various colors.  For instance in the pic above, where is that gizmo on the bottom where all the oil lines go into?  On the firewall likely, and where exactly?  And where do those oil lines at the front plug into?  It's all still a mystery without real pics.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

2 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

For instance in the pic above, where is that gizmo on the bottom where all the oil lines go into?  On the firewall likely, and where exactly?  And where do those oil lines at the front plug into?  It's all still a mystery without real pics.

First, as a retired dude myself, congratulations Chuck!  As many have commented already, you may find yourself busier than you thought.  I have been, for a few years now, although part of the busyness involves modelling.  Some of my projects in 1/18 could be full time jobs if I let them.  Covid has also been a thing - I think I (or we) would be busier still if we felt we could freely spend more time away.  Hope that eventually changes for the better.

As for the firewall work - very well done so far (understatement!).  I too will be facing the firewall imminently.  But I have drawings and manuals to help, through Aircorps Library.  I do not recall any discussion on that or whether or not you subscribe to that site - they don't have anything on Tempests, and some of your past projects.  But they do have alot on USAAF and USN vintage aircraft.  The Hellcat collections leaves a bit to be desired - the drawing list may not be quite as complete as some (the F4U collection is pretty darned good).  And alot of drawings are tough to read - so faint.  And I don't like the F6F parts catalogue that much.

Nevertheless, the F6F parts catalogue is AN01-85FB-4.  It covers the engine oil system of course - a typical picture:

DAXLRFth.jpg  

There is more too.  And the engineering drawing that shows all that stuff, including the "gizmo's" you mention, is "System Installation - Power plant - Oil", dwg number 26762.  It's faint, but it may answer alot of question.  

Edited by JayW

Well guys, after researching several wiring, hydraulic and linkage diagrams behind the engine, I've come to the conclusion that adding them now would be a mistake.  Much of this detail, if not all of it, should have been planned much earlier before I assembled and painted the parts at the rear of the engine and a few scratch-built parts are needed for the oil lines.  Drilling holes and looping lines now will be very difficult and I am sure that I will ruin the work I've done already, and risk sending it to the infamous Shelf of Doom out of frustration, which I have never experienced so far.  I also have to admit I'm getting a bit tired of this model and I need to move on, so it's best to do so now while I still have at least some Hellcat Mojo left.  I could never understand why some modelers in these forums would get so far into their projects, then suddenly stop.  Now I know why.  ;)

Next step will be to paint the firewall interior green, mask it off, then get going on painting, decaling and weathering this big blue bird.  Once that is done, I can attach the engine and re-visit which minor details I may yet add to the engine area.  I also need to modify some of the lower engine cowlings, but I can't figure out how I'm going to do that until the engine is firmly cemented into the firewall.  Lots of cowling modifications can then be done and I can get this engine touched up and weathered so that it looks well used.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3