On my way to Atlanta

Astro32

I finished packing and left before dawn from Southern California. Stopped for the night in Grants, New Mexico. Long day! I'm worried about my dog though. When we left the first rest area in Arizona, and kept heading east, he finally realized something was up, and he cried for more than an hour. He's been better since but definitely not happy about it! I'm hoping the trip continues to go smoothly. And I can't wait to get settled once I'm there. I may actually have some spare time to get things done!

Sounds like an adventure!  Our son wants us to fly out to Colorado and drive his German shepherd and 4Runner back to SC while he’s over seas in Kuwait starting this fall.  He couldn’t understand it when I told him there is no way at our age could we do this trip straight through. 

Arrived this morning and headed straight to my new office. Called a property management company about a small house for rent  nearby. Never got a call back. Nice. I'll be living out of a hotel for a short time. Unfortunately I couldn't come down early for a few days to set something up. Hopefully I'll find something soon. And my dog is back to being upset about the situation which is breaking my heart. He'll get over it though.

Okay then! Since I relocated out here, four people at the main office in SoCal have quit, I haven't been able to qualify for a place except for when the listing states "we accept Section 8 and vouchers", and my truck has been broken into twice here. And my dog is still upset. Looks very likely I'll be turning around and heading back to help fill the shortage. A former neighbor has kindly offered me a room as well. 

Signed,

Angry & frustrated in Atlanta

Breaking my vow of silence again.  Just curious: did you do your homework before you left California for Atlanta?  Did you have any idea of what to expect or were you just happy to leave California for anywhere else.  I remember mentioning that Atlanta is not what it used to be.  Did you make any attempt to find out what you were driving three thousand miles into?  Honestly, I live in Georgia and I wouldn’t move to metro Atlanta on a bet.  If you can’t hang and are already heading back west away from this glorious part of the country, then maybe it wouldn’t have been a good match anyway.  I truly hope that when you get back home, you won’t talk $#!+ about all us ignorant rednecks like so many others do because the American South is really a great place to live, even if metro Atlanta is not.  Oh, and no idea what breed your hound dog buddy is, but it’s my experience that big dogs often do not travel well, especially when confined over long distances.  Limited to Ridgebacks, shepherds and blue ticks, so what do I know, right?  Your mileage will probably vary.

45 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Just curious: did you do your homework before you left California for Atlanta?  Honestly, I live in Georgia and I wouldn’t move to metro Atlanta on a bet.  If you can’t hang and are already heading back west away from this glorious part of the country, then maybe it wouldn’t have been a good match anyway.  

I did research the area and consulted with co-workers there or who have lived there. It's a beautiful part of the country and the vast majority of the people from all walks of life I've met here have been wonderful. If I'd been able to secure some reasonably safe lodging, and we hadn't seen so many leave employment with us back in L.A., I'd be staying, but that is not to be. Except for the break-ins and the frustration of trying to find a place, my experience there has been very similar to the one I had in Charlotte. Yesterday I went to Zonolite Park in North Druid Hills and had a great time. I saw my dog smile for the first time since I got here. Speaking of dog, he's a Manchester Terrier and is great on the road. He and I have travelled a good chunk of the U.S. But I'm worried about him. He's not his usual self and will be getting a check-up with his vet when we get back.