MiG-15 advice...

Alex

So I'm going to take a (minor) plunge out of my warbird comfort zone and build a *jet fighter* of all things.  Figured I'd move just a few years down the timeline to Korea, so I bought this kit off of Ebay.

pmLrh9Paj

The guy who was selling it had already accumulated a bunch of AM, so I got a great deal

pol8QxzNj

Plan is probably to build it in North Korean colors.  I'm interested in anyone's input at all about this kit in particular or general MiG-15 resources I should look at, build threads, etc.  I have a couple of walkaround books, but that's about it.  

Couple of specific things:

1. cockpit and fuselage interior color.  The instructions just call for "light blue"; I know there are a plethora of later-era bright turquoisey colors that the Soviets/Russians used on cockpit interiors, but I wonder what the shade was in 1951 and does someone like MRP make it?

2. Painting the engine: color photos (must be very rare if they exist)?  Good build examples with technique?  This whole jet engine heat-scorched metal thing is completely new territory to me.  I'm not going to use the goofy clear fuselage alternate parts that Tamiya includes, but they do make the regular rear fuselage removable and supply a kit for the maintenance cart to roll it off on for engine service access, so I do want to try and detail the engine as realistically as I can so it can be displayed open.

Thanks!

Hi there,

1951-vintage MiGs used a grey-blue, which varied among the manufacturers.  There was one which apparently painted the cockpit green, but I've not ever seen it.

Were I to use MRP paints, I'd probably choose MRP-018, AMT-7 Grey Blue, or MRP-49, Light Grey Blue.

Regarding the engine, the Klimov VK-1, there are color photos available if you search.