HPH Catalina

Aviacom

I have been lucky enough, very lucky in fact as the wife bought me the 1/32 HPH Catalina Full Kit, for my birthday.

I want to start it this weekend in my brand new workshop that I’ve spent the past 3 months building.

I am struggling however, for a scheme for it! I certainly DONT want to do it White, or overall Black. 
I am torn between an RAF Temperate Sea Scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey/Sky) or one of the US Navy Tri Color Schemes.

Trouble is, I also don’t want to do a ‘Common’ aircraft like the RAF coded ‘WX.....’

So, after being a picky so and so, what’s everyone got to show me regards Color schemes? Only RAF or US Navy please.

Also, anyone built this kit and have any advice or tips for the build?

Ive also got an HPH F7F Tigercat to do after this as well! Gluten for punishment eh??

Thanks so much!!

Looking at Osprey Combat Aircraft #62, it appears that Catalinas involved at Midway probably were blue/grey over light grey, not the tri-color scheme. But they also appear to be -3 or -4 models. It would probably need some more research to see if there were any -5 aircraft at Midway.

You could also have a look at this link over at Military-Meshes, is is a Catalina involved with hunting down the Bismarck.

PBY5 Catalina WIP (military-meshes.com)

It is artwork based upon 3D models, etc. you probably would want to do some more research.

congrats on the purchase, My advice would be pick an aircraft and research it as far as possible. 

Once youve got that far, invest in some masks for the markings then youll have a unique build, not that there are many of these built, (including mine) 

Our very own Kent Karlsen has done a superb rendition of this kit. full of inspiration to keep you going through the build. 

Nothing wrong with being picky but try not to limit yourself to absolute accuracy unless you're

building to compete. I like Ron's example , even if it's a sim scheme. I usually just keep looking

until something strikes me as cool. It's all about coolness factor to me.  :speak_cool:

But at any rate have fun with it . :):popcorn:

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Nothing wrong with being picky but try not to limit yourself to absolute accuracy unless you're

building to compete. I like Ron's example , even if it's a sim scheme. I usually just keep looking

until something strikes me as cool. It's all about coolness factor to me.  :speak_cool:

But at any rate have fun with it . :):popcorn:

Does historical accuracy count at competitive shows outside the U.S.? Because over here, it sure doesn’t!

cheers

Pete