I am looking for history of the activities of the Austrian Air Force in World War One.

I am looking for histories of activities of the Austrian Air Force in World War One.

Books, articles, studies, etc.  Hopefully written in English but if necessary I will take a refresher course in the German language. 

I'll buy, borrow, or rent such material.

Many thanks,

Stephen Auslender,  P.O. Box, 122, Wilton, CT 06897 USA

auslend@optimum.net

11 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

You'd be looking for the Austro-Hungarian Air Force.  There was no independent Austrian Air Force in WWI.

Thank you Jennings. My knowledge of WW1 history is limited to the five participants: Britain, Belgium, France, Germany and Russia. I know that Italy was involved because Hemingway participated for a while as an ambulance driver for the Italians. I also know that the natives of the Balkans countries got involved somehow. Didn't also at the end we (USA) ran stumbling into the fray and as soon as the going got hot the Germans, like the Russians a year or two earlier,  called it quits, took all their toys and went home. 

My ignorance is embarrassing; My maternal grandparents were born in Romania and my father was born in  Moldova. But as soon as they got to the USA no mention was made of those countries. So I knew nothing of the pre WW1 history. I guess it is time to visit the libraries and start reading.

Cordially,

Stephen

There are a lot of wonderful books on Austro-Hungarian aircraft. Peter Grosz wrote the big one: "Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One" and Dr. Martin O'Connor wrote "Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918". Both of these men are no longer with us, and we don't get to read Peter Grosz' second volume on the Naval Aircraft.

Other good books are in German. Keimel's "Osterreich's Luftfahrzeuge", Peter Schupita's "Die k.u.k. Seeflieger" and three authors did a good book with profiles " Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918". A more recent profile of Gottfried Banfield went to two volumes and told a bit about his experiences and the opposing fighters on the Allied sides.  Boris Ciglic wrote a great book on "Seaplanes of Bocche" which has a lot of history and photos of that part of their forces.

There are quite a few Datafiles and some Osprey books on Austro Hungarian Aviation.

If you need ISBN numbers, let me know. Unfortunately, some of these are not inexpensive references.

Tnarg

49 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This might be a start: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/lft.htm

Richard

Many thanks, Richard. I just found a copy of Die Flugzeuge der k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppe und Seeflieger 1914-1918 on eBay. It is in German so back to my "German for Dummies" or is that Deutsche fur Dummkopfs". Also the http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/lft.htm looks very helpful.   Yours, Stephen

On 4/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, ssculptor said:

Thank you Jennings. My knowledge of WW1 history is limited to the five participants: Britain, Belgium, France, Germany and Russia. I know that Italy was involved because Hemingway participated for a while as an ambulance driver for the Italians. I also know that the natives of the Balkans countries got involved somehow. Didn't also at the end we (USA) ran stumbling into the fray and as soon as the going got hot the Germans, like the Russians a year or two earlier,  called it quits, took all their toys and went home. 

My ignorance is embarrassing; My maternal grandparents were born in Romania and my father was born in  Moldova. But as soon as they got to the USA no mention was made of those countries. So I knew nothing of the pre WW1 history. I guess it is time to visit the libraries and start reading.

Cordially,

Stephen

There's a lot of good "survey" level history about WWI out there if you are interested.  Will fill in the gaps about who did what and when.  Can be useful as context for whatever building project you are doing.  The war started ostensibly as a conflict between Austria-Hungary and Serbia, but Germany, Russia and France were all involved very quickly thanks to treaties and alliances--the UK too.  Russia did not leave the war until October 1917--the US declared war in April 1917, but didn't get substantial numbers of troops in the field until late 1918.   This makes the US Air Service interesting because it went from zero to multiple squadrons in a fairly short period of time.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-War-Combat-History-First/dp/0190227354/ref=pd_sbs_5?pd_rd_w=0aKL2&pf_rd_p=98101395-b70f-4a52-af63-8fac2c513e02&pf_rd_r=8WBCHYVYW8HQCN3MQZ6E&pd_rd_r=895c907c-0c53-4774-aeee-8fe860eedb40&pd_rd_wg=39URr&pd_rd_i=0190227354&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Hew-Strachan/dp/0143035185/ref=pd_sbs_9?pd_rd_w=vtVIA&pf_rd_p=98101395-b70f-4a52-af63-8fac2c513e02&pf_rd_r=CEBER2C72NBDAAD7E18W&pd_rd_r=24a010b9-5bde-4114-803d-d2e229d93215&pd_rd_wg=RLcw1&pd_rd_i=0143035185&psc=1

All good stuff.

Cheers,

Tim W.