Repurposing built kits...

With the scarcity of some kits, I was thinking about stripping the paint/decals off some existing built models and updating them with better schemes. Has anyone done this before? What is the best way to strip the exterior and repaint? I'm not really concerned with repainting interiors, just the outside.

Thanks!!!

Harry

Hi I have done a few rebuilds and have variously used brake fluid, a dedicated paint remover from Hannants (modelstrip) and oven cleaner, they all worked using the same method, apply to the model place the model in a plastic bag overnight and away you go. They still needed some help using toothbrushes and such like things and for some strange reason decals were hard to remove. All the models I stripped were painted with enamels.

Cheers

Dennis

15 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Hi I have done a few rebuilds and have variously used brake fluid, a dedicated paint remover from Hannants (modelstrip) and oven cleaner, they all worked using the same method, apply to the model place the model in a plastic bag overnight and away you go. They still needed some help using toothbrushes and such like things and for some strange reason decals were hard to remove. All the models I stripped were painted with enamels.

Cheers

Dennis

I use acrylics, but the exterior clear coats are enamel, so I will try the oven cleaner. I've used the brake cleaner method before, but only to soak individual parts to remove the paint.

Edited by hworth18

On 4/18/2021 at 4:06 AM, hworth18 said:

Is it just apply and wipeoff or do I need to do the overnight process?

You will have to leave it on for a while and may need another application.....just keep your eye on it. Decals are stubborn to get off.

Cheers Bevan