Friedrichshafen FF.33 L - German Navy Zeebrügge

kkarlsen

Spend the last couple of days detailing and painting the 3D printed Benz Bz III engine.

fJerpor.jpg

uMlTWNV.jpg

DQ6rqsg.jpg

aY19poX.jpg

The push rods have been replaced with nickel silver ones, spark plug leads, handles and spring added.

This being my fourth Benz Bz III engine, it's still a struggle, learning how to get the details right.

I've chosen to depict it as an well used 'mucked up' engine (most of all to camouflage some of the 3D moiré effect).

Cheers: Kent

3 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

Very nice Engine. :goodjob:

1 hour ago, dodgem37 said:

Nice piece of work.

Thank you Gent's!

I've been trying to 'home in' on the subject of this built and I think I now have found a match:

44RKS8A.jpg

A Friedrichshafen FF.33L CHFT (Wireless) at Zeebrügge.

It's not the most spectacular conversion, but many parts have to be altered to get there.

Wireless + antenna & generator (HB W.29)

X3yRQ0p.jpg

Different radiator and a leftover propeller from the Hansa kit, Axial?

IaUu2o9.jpg

Extra wing fuel tank and fuel leads.

D5QpgO9.jpg

I will also be reworking the Observers 'coaming' as it looks to be a bit on the small side + the parabellum 'ring' (HB W.29).
Different windscreen. And I will be using Aviattic German Naval Hex - Faded.

Progress on the Friedrichshafen built:

F5kgSSH.jpg

The fuselage is assembled, putty'ed and sanded some. I've rebuilt the observers coaming to fit the ring from the HB W.29. (Shrunken a bit, to look the part)

g9YGb2Z.jpg

1AJNx0E.jpg

The wings have been painted in a base color, top white and bottom Gunze Sail color. Wholes for rigging has been drilled and they are now ready for masking.

Thanks for looking: Kent

I've been trying to find details of the wing fuel tank, present on the CHFT variant.

I haven't been able to find any close up photos of the FF.33L with sufficient detail to be of help.
Then it struck me that maybe other Friedrichshafen models may have had the same tank?

In the Windsock album on the FF.33E  page 6 there is a very clear photo of the tank on a crashed FF.33E.

Next, at first the bottom of the tank was a mystery to me, but taking a closer look at the many photos
it was quite obvious what is going on...

GTxUvdm.jpg

It looks like there is some kind of 'sump' in the bottom of the tank, that extends to the fuel line.

TSyjIDR.jpg

This is a closeup of the tank on a FF.49, looks a little different, but the same principle.

Edited by kkarlsen

So the next step will be the 'dreaded' naval hex camouflage...

I suspect the FF.33L later batches being some of the first to be camouflaged with it?

As I understand some of the Naval Hex patterns were 'painted' on in the beginning.

Dews52x.jpg

This photo seems to support that, looking closely at the pattern there is not only a difference in direction but also a
difference in size of the pattern. I believe the naval hex fabric was used on the fuselage and the wings Hex Pattern
painted on on top of the previous color? At least that's the theory

YLGEfE0.jpg

This 'pattern' has obviously given me some 'headache' but luckily Lukasz Sznajder has come to the 'rescue' and
offered me some assistance, printing hex patterns in different sizes, and I am looking forward to be trying them out on this built.

Edited by kkarlsen

Well this built It's turning out to be the same story as usual...
I decided to built the kit out of the box and now I find myself rebuilding, scratching and 'hacking'  my way through this kit!!

Now I'm using the time waiting for the Hex decals to do something about some of the issues with the floats...

JF7DoHK.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but the 'nose' has been widened to make it less pointed.
They have also been shortened to get the right shape of the front.

pYhGM4t.jpg

Found this photo of the construction of Friedrichshafen floats, showing the 'step's 
and the reason why the 'stringers' are placed where they are.

ir0iGOF.jpg

The bottom has been fitted with new 'stringers' and i have created the sharp steps of the floats.

IC7ZbeL.jpg

The fuselage is coming along, with some minor altercations to fit the MN 1247.
The forward engine 'ventilation? has been removed, those in the back have been 'opened' to an earlier version.

Four small vents have been added to the front of the cowling.
The propeller and the spinner have been painted. 
I've also started on scratching the converted radiator of the CHFT version.

zQdYmPk.jpg

The tail part have been cleaned up, pre shaded and fitted with brass rods to have better control for fitting.

lr8YhmL.jpg

Cockpit coaming done and the ring from the HB W.29 has been fitted to fit the new observers seat.

Well it's all part of the process. 'God forbid' building a kit OOB...

TdocOEC.jpg

So on to the 'surgery' - Superimposing the different tails on top of each other, Doesn't look too bad.

4WE3j5F.jpg

No trouble at all, fortunately the new shape is not too far from the kit tail planes and smaller  ;)

A little progress on the floats too...

• VBgnBoL.jpg

I've replaced the struts with massive brass ones, drilled far into the floats. That's the way I'm used to do my scratched floats, adds a lot of 'rigidness' to the structure.