Panel lines......

Scale32

What to do after you realise that some of them are way to shallow to hold a wash but you've already painted, decaled and sealed with a coat of clear. Sharpened pencils?

Thoughts?

Cheers Bevan 

48 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Check pictures of the prototype to see if the lines are visible and obvious would be a good start. Maybe you've had a lucky accident

Richard

Thanks Richard, I know they were puttied most of the time but I just need something to break up the camo. A bit of visual interest.

Cheers Bevan 

3 minutes ago, Scale32 said:

It's Revell's me 262 night fighter

That looks to be a tricky one, if it is the highly mottled scheme, the camouflage is very effective at hiding surface detail.

Personally, I'd be dirtying up the surface with blobs of oil paints brushed out to provide some variability. That's unlikely to reveal panel lines

I'm now out of my depth, you need a painting expert - I'm sure one will be along soon.

Richard

I do love a night fighter - all those whiskers!

Ive got a few ideas up my sleeve.  I was really just curious as to what other people would do in this situation. 

Thanks Richard for the feedback, much appreciated and yes night fighters are pretty cool. Btw I'm doing red 12 from the kit decal option 

I use .5 mm No. 2 lead in a mechanical pencil sharpened to a chisel point to draw the panel lines.  This is followed up with some 0000 steel wool (in the direction of airflow) to pare down the intensity of the lead.  It also provides some nice subtle streaking and if continued will remove said streaks from the paint.  I have successfully used a pink pearl eraser to remove errant pencil lines.  A dullcote over top works wonders to blend it all together.

Edited by Juggernut

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

What number is one of the lighter looking pencil "leads"?  Is No 2 still a bit dense/dark, and is there a graphite pencil alternative that is not quite as dark when put on?

Hi Brian, 2h is pretty light but the lead is hard where as 6b is  pretty dark and the lead is pretty soft. I think hb is a pretty standard "in the middle" lead. I used it in a mechanical pencil last night with some success.

Cheers Bevan 

12 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I use .5 mm No. 2 lead in a mechanical pencil sharpened to a chisel point to draw the panel lines.  This is followed up with some 0000 steel wool (in the direction of airflow) to pare down the intensity of the lead.  It also provides some nice subtle streaking and if continued will remove said streaks from the paint.  I have successfully used a pink pearl eraser to remove errant pencil lines.  A dullcote over top works wonders to blend it all together.

Sounds like a good technique. I used some 5000 grit for the same purpose on the wings. The fuselage I managed to get the wash into the panel lines but instead of wiping of with a solvent I used said 5000 to rub it off worked out well.

Cheers Bevan 

On 4/15/2021 at 10:22 PM, Ryan said:

72nd, sorry...but there are NO panel line washes on this model.

7069473109_179cb7f617_k.jpg

Looks great Ryan if you didn't know any better you'd think you used washes!

Cheers Bevan