MH-6M Little Bird

On 4/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hello all-

I stumbled on this gem at KERV while doing some L-39 instruction. Not the same as a -6M; but plenty of similar details to examine and photograph 

DZH4afP.jpg

pretty cool. This one is used for power line support.

cheers

Pete

I saw one of these in a field in Marin County today. Not sure why it was there. 

This one will always be the best one... 

content_04.jpg

Or maybe this one, 

AAwFn%2BfLzjvMyXTlsv08kA=&risl=&pid=ImgR

How on earth does a chopper this tiny manage to haul 6 men? I have no idea. 

Thanks for sharing your build with us. It's looking "boss level" so far!

Chris. 

PS: As I'm sure a lot of folks will be aware, the Vietnam Loach in the previous post was flown by Captain Hugh Mills and was named "Miss Clawd IV". This man was shot down 16 times whilst in S.E. Asia, including four times in one day! "Lucky" doesn't even begin to describe his time in-country. If you want to know more about Hugh Mills, I would thoroughly recommend his book "Low Level Hell" - it's an amazing read. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.

18 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

How on earth does a chopper this tiny manage to haul 6 men? I have no idea. 

Thanks for sharing your build with us. It's looking "boss level" so far!

Chris. 

PS: As I'm sure a lot of folks will be aware, the Vietnam Loach in the previous post was flown by Captain Hugh Mills and was named "Miss Clawd IV". This man was shot down 16 times whilst in S.E. Asia, including four times in one day! "Lucky" doesn't even begin to describe his time in-country. If you want to know more about Hugh Mills, I would thoroughly recommend his book "Low Level Hell" - it's an amazing read. 

Mills has been a Hero of mine since I was a kid. "Low Level Hell" is an amazing read. I just read it again about a month ago. Things have a different impact on you when you read them again in your 40s.

Mills was also mentioned and wrote a part of the Squadron Signal book on attack choppers in Vietnam called "Gunslingers in action", by Lou Drendel, and I think he gets mentioned in Jim Mesko's Airmobile.  

22 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

PS: As I'm sure a lot of folks will be aware, the Vietnam Loach in the previous post was flown by Captain Hugh Mills and was named "Miss Clawd IV".

Miss Clawd IV was serial 17340 (not 17173 which is the airframe shown in the pic). 17173 was reportedly Darkhorse 19's machine (his name escapes me at the moment, but should be Googleable). C/16 Cav's Loaches were all similarly marked, but not identical. 

HTH,

D

Hey all-

Got a little more done on the cabin. The cargo area gets pretty beat up- lots of gear tossed back there to support the SF riders, so chipping and scuffs are in order, so I started on all that. With the doors off, this area also gets pretty dusty down range..that’ll come later.

so...chipping first in the layered approach to weathering. First, all of this gets shot with MM steel and touches of jet exhaust-

Rr1XUHy.jpg
then a shot of hairspray; de-canted and sprayed with the airbrush. Once that is dry, spray another color layer with Tamiya yellow- green

kfQ9u49.jpg

first, I’ll chip the bare metal back to the primer. Wet the area you want to chip with water. I use a micro brush and sharpened toothpick to chip down to the bare metal. subtly is important 

9bfHUEL.jpg

Once happy with that, shoot a barrier coat of flat clear lacquer to protect the chipping. When that is dry spray another coat of hairspray.

when the hairspray is dry, shoot a coat of Tamiya rubber black, and start the chipping process again

EycnYbQ.jpg

REk05ZL.jpg

this looks pretty stark/severe right now- that’s ok. The next layers in the weathering process (dry brush, washes, and dust) will add a lot of life to this-Also, I’ll be stowing some very cool SF gear back here (Carl Gustav recoilless rifle, breaching gear, ammo, etc). Should be fun-

cheers for now

Pete

So informative, Pete.

As I kid I grew up shooting pellet guns, then 22s, then real rifles. I 'knew' how to shoot. But I was in the service for a decade before I listened to the folks who knew much more than me on shooting, the USAF CATM guys. I went from always qualifying on the range, to always shooting expert. 

Your step-by-steps are the same deal with regard to modeling. I've been modeling a long time; it is time to finally start listening to you!

jp

CATM: Combat Arms Training and Maintenance

12 hours ago, johncrow said:

So informative, Pete.

As I kid I grew up shooting pellet guns, then 22s, then real rifles. I 'knew' how to shoot. But I was in the service for a decade before I listened to the folks who knew much more than me on shooting, the USAF CATM guys. I went from always qualifying on the range, to always shooting expert. 

Your step-by-steps are the same deal with regard to modeling. I've been modeling a long time; it is time to finally start listening to you!

jp

CATM: Combat Arms Training and Maintenance

Thanks John- that’s kind of you.

funny that you mention shooting. Like you, I grew up shooting, and passed that skill set on to my sons..and now, my two oldest boys are men;  Army Infantry officers, and skilled shooters-Much better than I could ever hope to be. I gave them the basics I guess, but now I listen to them.

So I’m going to hijack my own thread for a sec. I built this rifle during lockdown. It is one of several weapons I own, but is my current favorite. It is chambered in 300 AAC and suppressed. Holographic sight, backup iron sights, tactical light, green laser, and with subsonic rounds is super quiet. I have a little more money to spend on stuff like this than my sons, but they show me how best to use it, and I love training with them. They teach me now, and that’s pretty cool. As long as the government allows, I’ll pass this rifle on to one of them some day. 
v010M38.jpg

I can teach someone how to fly..maybe share some modeling knowledge..but whatever it is, the things we learn from each other in life are what keep us moving forward, yes? That’s what I love about hanging out here- so much of what I “know” I learned here- I’m just passing it on..

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann
Coherence I guess..I think

Hey all-

here’s a technique for making wires-

p7RY0AI.jpg

KtYry5r.jpg

grab some  black two-part epoxy putty. Roll it into a ball, and let it sit for about 20 minutes to let it set up. Not rock hard; just not sticky.

s2oyQ7P.jpg

when it sets up, roll it into a string 

y5AvgDp.jpg

Cut it to the desired length..pick it up with a brush damp with water

wOQRNdk.jpg

place it where it goes

bEIxMg9.jpg

cheers

Pete

Oh man so many thing to comment on

1 I LOVE that M4 omg. unfortunately all AR-15 base rifles are now banned in canada

1.1 im planning to teach my 2 girls shoot. waiting for them to be a little older

2 that black epoxy tip is GOLD

3 your handy work on that cockpit is amazing