1/16 Australian M113A1 & AS4

GMK

In 2003, the soldiers' seats in the M113 were replaced (I think - may not have got out of prototype stage..) with storage lockers topped by cushions.  I believe this to be a uniquely Australian mod....I did the drawings, and I just happen to have a set lying around.  I also have a set of drawings for support stands used for maintenance, and a set of the commander's seat from 2004.  Let me know if you're interested..

12 minutes ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

In 2003, the soldiers' seats in the M113 were replaced (I think - may not have got out of prototype stage..) with storage lockers topped by cushions.  I believe this to be a uniquely Australian mod....I did the drawings, and I just happen to have a set lying around.  I also have a set of drawings for support stands used for maintenance, and a set of the commander's seat from 2004.  Let me know if you're interested..

Thanks, @Cap'n Wannabe - appreciate the offer. I’m modelling my vehicle closed up, otherwise I’ll never finish it. Cheers. 

One thing with slicing models is that the orientation plays an important part in the success or otherwise of the prints. 

This was one version, with most objects canted 30 degrees or so to the printer bed. 

Here’s where it started. 

uxaYGEI.jpg

Version two has them placed vertically. 

RaJPrkj.jpg

Thanks for looking in. 

On 8/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

Really inspiring stuff, I just wish I had more spare time to try learining Fusion 360 or something. My oldest wants a 3D printer for his birthday, I'm thinking of giving him one my older PC's with Fusion 360 instead! :D

Inspiring stuff for sure :)

Thanks, Jeroen. Learning CAD is like learning how to fish. Definitely worth the investment of time. 

I’m experimenting with clear resin for the turret as the translucent green is just too green. One cool thing is that you can see the photo-sensitive resin being cured, layer by layer. 

zDfjLkF.jpg

Pretty cool! Using 0.01mm layers takes a while, though. 

Thanks for looking in. 

Well, highest resolution print is done

BDBaPC7.jpg

The print wasn’t as good as initial impressions, though the turret being translucent made detecting faults trickier. 

Zat110X.jpg

For some reason there’s a fold or wrinkle on the ten o’clock facet of the turret. The parallel lines highlight the fold in the top line of the visiblock, circled in red. 

Thanks for looking in. 

After playing with orientation & layer height, I reckon I’ve got an acceptable turret. 

This is it being cured. 

GvP1jKq.jpg

While it was printing, drying, & curing, I drew up the interior & exterior masks for the visiblocks. These were then cut via laser cutter. 

2BPZMm6.jpg

Test fit on the turret. 

hfxzj0k.jpg

With luck I’ll be able to prime today. 

Thanks for looking in. 

Mucked about with some paint in an endeavour to get a motivational endorphin high/illusion of progress. 

I used SMS RAF Sky for the interior sea foam green. 

E7ybKRD.jpg

Then SMS camouflage brown, camouflage green, camouflage black, & insignia white. 

bVxVevn.jpg

Masks for the Charlie Company chevron were laser cut. 

Thanks for looking in. 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:26 PM, Rockie Yarwood said:

Nice!

Thanks, Rockie!

Now that the new resin printer is dialled in, thought I’d have another bash at the front hull in another material. 

aZD0kwA.jpg

450 grams of resin! The gun depression rail looks a bit wonky, but that’s fixable. 

ugcoAPw.jpg

Hasn't
 yet been washed & cured yet, but couldn’t resist placing the turret on it. 

i4AXkev.jpg

Test fit of the left track shroud. 

PwKzxGN.jpg

Thanks for looking in. 

Ran a test print on the rear of the hull. Let’s just say I need to tweak the model.

FUmRxE0.jpg

Thought that there could be some issues, but not to that extent. 

In parallel, the major markings were sketched up. 

SfuY16A.jpg

Onto the laser cutter. 

q94qPBw.jpg

Looking good. I may redo them with reference cuts to facilitate alignment on the physical model. 

oSrv93q.jpg

I need to sort out the tiger’s head, deployment Christmas tree, buoyancy marks, & roadworthy reflective marks, each of which have differing degrees of difficulty. 

Thanks for looking in. 

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Ran a test print on the rear of the hull. Let’s just say I need to tweak the model.

FUmRxE0.jpg

Thought that there could be some issues, but not to that extent. 

In parallel, the major markings were sketched up. 

SfuY16A.jpg

Onto the laser cutter. 

q94qPBw.jpg

Looking good. I may redo them with reference cuts to facilitate alignment on the physical model. 

oSrv93q.jpg

I need to sort out the tiger’s head, deployment Christmas tree, buoyancy marks, & roadworthy reflective marks, each of which have differing degrees of difficulty. 

Thanks for looking in. 

I think the rear resin piece needs more supports?