1/16 Australian M113A1 & AS4

GMK

6 hours ago, josebagasteiz said:

I have to admit that I did not like the 3D printing of this vehicle at all, since there were striations everywhere. But, once cleaned, the aspect is magnificent!! Now I follow this construction with enthusiasm!!

Thanks, Jose. I know what you mean - raw prints can be a bit rough, straight off the printer. Just need some high build automotive primer & sanding.

4 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Very, VERY, impressed with your 3D modeling skills!

Thanks, Tim. Very kind of you to say. 

On 7/15/2022 at 5:53 PM, GMK said:

Thanks, Tim. Very kind of you to say. 

You're very welcome. I am 3D modeler by trade (buildings), but I would very much like to get my Fusion 360 skills up to par with yours. Sadly, after working in Revit for 40 hours a week, I don't have the drive to spend all my free time doing the same in Fusion. I can't even bring my self to build a model for some time now, so the printer sits neglected.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:10 PM, GMK said:

Thanks, Ryan. 

I’ll wait until the cleanup is complete for closeups so I can A/B it. 

@GMK My apologies I did not scroll up to see the after print shots!

On 7/19/2022 at 1:26 AM, BiggTim said:

You're very welcome. I am 3D modeler by trade (buildings), but I would very much like to get my Fusion 360 skills up to par with yours. Sadly, after working in Revit for 40 hours a week, I don't have the drive to spend all my free time doing the same in Fusion. I can't even bring my self to build a model for some time now, so the printer sits neglected.

I feel you, mate. Nothing worse than work blending into your hobby life or vice versa. 

Not sure skills is the description I’d use about my use of Fusion360. More like a monkey with a drop saw. 

On 7/19/2022 at 3:14 AM, Ryan said:

@GMK My apologies I did not scroll up to see the after print shots!

Not at all. 

Dialling in the resin printer - actually more like dialling in the addition of supports of the models before printing. Very different to filament printing. 

Lots of detail to capture on the idlers, sprocket wheels, & idler axle. 

ev5N6n7.jpg

Thanks for looking in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a break, I’ve collected some references & set to work on the T50 turret in earnest. 

I’m lucky (?) to have had the foresight to do a walk around of my vehicle whilst deployed. These pics captured a lot of details & will really help with the painting. 

4Vvc6OD.jpg

pJI6LiQ.jpg

Even have some top views & my personal weapon. 

HPL1e5g.jpg

FXnafYn.jpg

The turret design was solid.

6PV0dyo.jpg

I’ve since added some additional detail & hollowed it out to reduce mass & resin. 

UuUyy77.jpg

Thanks for looking in. 

Great work GMK!....this is looking very good!

I like your pics of your own vehicle too....good inspiration for me working on the 1/35 AFV Club M113A1 MRV at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

1 hour ago, Jeff T said:

Great work GMK!....this is looking very good!

I like your pics of your own vehicle too....good inspiration for me working on the 1/35 AFV Club M113A1 MRV at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks, Jeff, appreciate the kind words. 

The AFV MRV is a nice kit. I’m considering one in 1:16. 

First test print of the turret looks okay. Some tweaks to make. 

9ifEEvH.jpg

Thanks for looking in. 

7 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Good stuff, like I commented on Ryan's build, I may not comment much but it is very nice to see the creation process!

Thanks for commenting @jeroen_R90S  It’s been a journey!

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

The turret is resin, yes?

That it is, Ryan. When I made the call to print it in resin, I decided to hollow out the object & block out some interior details. 

The test print revealed some issues with the base design, plus some opportunities to optimise things. 

AYTMQIH.jpg

The visiblocks will likely be 3D printed clear resin, about 2.5mm thick. The hatch cover will be closed, so the interior detail just has to convey the impression that the turret isn’t empty. 

On the slicer:

kUeClkG.jpg

Thanks for looking in.