End of an era in modeling

Hacker

I had a large amount of their books, until the room that housed my library (6,000) books caught fire six years ago. 

I then had a room full of wet pulp.

Nobody got hurt and the house was repaired. 

The insurance was generous and I added a 20 foot by 30  foot room to provide my wife with a sewing room.

The books? Well I had colored them in by that time so all was well.

It gave me an excuse to go buy new books.

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

A Gen-Z'er that I work with literally had no idea what that phrase meant.  In her entire lifetime, long distance voice telecommiunication has essentially been free with whatever subscription you have for your phone service.

She probably never operated a dial phone in a phone booth where you had to insert a nickle (a 5 cent coin) to prepay for the call .

By golly I am getting older. I am turning into a real alte cocker.

The first modeling reference i ever owned was probably one of their books on the t-34.  I remember hungering for reference material but I have always been a history bug as well.  Their was a window of time when borders had good reference material on armor modeling.  But it was so hard to get anything descent in the 1980s and 1990s when I started getting more into modeling.  

1 hour ago, Neo said:

From the action listing its part of the sale

Yeah, it was listed as Intellectual Property. It won't be the first time the line has changed hands. Squadron bought it or into it way back in the early stages. I've forgotten the explanation I heard that explained this pair. I have a copy of #1 that just says SIGNAL. At about the 200 mark, I had a copy of each one. Then my economy slowed down so I haven't kept up.

8BVRGy.jpg

5 hours ago, denders said:

Yeah, it was listed as Intellectual Property. It won't be the first time the line has changed hands. Squadron bought it or into it way back in the early stages. I've forgotten the explanation I heard that explained this pair. I have a copy of #1 that just says SIGNAL. At about the 200 mark, I had a copy of each one. Then my economy slowed down so I haven't kept up.

I've never really looked into it either, but many of the Squadron books, or in some cases the cover illustrations used, ended up in or on other books. A quick look at publication dates, should clarify which volumes were printed first, and by whom, I've just never done it.

What I recall from the conversation, someone else (Signal?) started the product line (books) and when Squadron took it over, they changed the order of some of the books that were in progress/just published. Both books in the photo are the same, not just the cover, except one is in German.

4 hours ago, denders said:

What I recall from the conversation, someone else (Signal?) started the product line (books) and when Squadron took it over, they changed the order of some of the books that were in progress/just published. Both books in the photo are the same, not just the cover, except one is in German.

Yes, I have some of the same books, both from Squadron and Waffen Arsenal, and they do seem to be identical. Publication date for the Waffen-Arsenal book is 1972, whereas the Squadron/Signal book has a publication date of 1974; same authors and photo/references credits listed, but with no mention of Waffen-Arsenal, which makes me think that the first book was a collaboration. Also the color profiles are the same, with no artist being specifically credited in either volume.